Pong (3-5-18)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

infidelity

Pong (3-5-18)

Post by infidelity »

My 2nd NES game that I wrote from the ground up

Pong
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5309

This one was a bit tricky to whip up, because it is the first where I had to create my own sprite hit detection.

The paddles, I made it so the velocity of the ball changes when it hits certain spots of them. The outermost parts of the paddle ricochet the ball fastest, where close to the center/dead center, will result in a slower velocity.

The hit detection is not the best, especially at the very tips of the paddles, again this is my first time so go easy on me, heh.

This is also my first time in trying to create AI. It's not the best in how I went about it, when you try out first player, you'll notice pretty quickly how the AI paddle functions.

The scoring goes from 0 to 255, once you pass 255 it simply goes back to 0.

I wanted to stay as close to the arcade version as possible.

Thanks to all who download it and try it out. :-)

-infidelity
Fumarumota

Re: Pong (3-5-18)

Post by Fumarumota »

I tried to download it but I only get a 0KB file.
*** O-Nes-Sama emulator team ***
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Same thing here, so there seems to be a problem with the file.

edit:

When checking the site it seems to be a BBS or something. Is it possible that the file requires you to be authenticated to be downloadable? That could be the point of failure.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Same here, although a HEAD request says 40976 bytes, but a GET request gives 0. To me this suggests some sort of bug.
Last edited by zzo38 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Unfortunately, even a direct link from the corresponding thread - http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=8914 - doesn't give a usable download.