Battlekid localized for japanese market

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshaku

Battlekid localized for japanese market

Post by Banshaku »

It's not my project but since I didn't saw any mention on nesdev I think I should share what I found. On today's news there was a mention that Battlekid was localized for the Japanese market. The artwork was even a collaboration with one of the guy that made the artwork for Guardian heroes on the sega saturn.

here's the link:
https://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/do ... 33581.html

In japan, some small company are re-releasing title for the snes too these days (multicart with 3+ games on it) but I'm not sure they are available outside Japan though. It was games from Data east and SNK if my memory is good (saw them at the local game store).
Great Hierophant

Re: Battlekid localized for japanese market

Post by Great Hierophant »

All was good until I saw the name of the company which is releasing Battle Kid, Columbus Circle. :roll:
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

May I ask what is the issue with Columbus circle? I didn't know about them until today when I found that article.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

I don't know about them, but skimming through the article, they made a disclaimer:
This is an original product from Columbus Circle. As it's different from the official carts, it may not work properly on some of the consoles. It is confirmed to work on Famiclones produced by Columbus Circles.

So they produce also Famiclones, and carts that may or may not work on consoles other than their own clones.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I really dig that box. Cool to see more Famicom releases.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Gilbert

Maybe I misunderstood while reading but I though because of the shape of the cartridge it may not work. I may have read too fast.

@Sumez

It is made by a famous artist and from the look of it, they modified the game sprite too for the Japanese market (looks like it, I don't remember those sprites, it's been a while so..). They added some level of difficulty too.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

It looks like they took some artwork from Battle Kid 2, which has a much superior art style.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Banshaku wrote:@Gilbert
shape of the cartridge
Quite probably, as I think BK doesn't use a very complicated mapper, but anyway they just say in their disclaimer it may not work without stating what may be the problem (and, hopefully their products aren't poorly made that may fry the original consoles).

Speaking about this, I remember buying one of those cheap NOAC console-in-a-controller years ago, and its slot was designed to fit pirate carts, so I removed its back cover and then original carts worked without problem.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@tokumaru

I never really played them (just the demo) but I do not remember the characters from the cut-scenes. It seems an improved bk1 version since it's written 2.0 on the title screen. Now at last I can play it on my famicom but at almost 60$ that's a little bit expensive. I don't know how many they will have. Maybe someday I may be interested for the new box, which look nice.

@Gilbert

I don't really know their products so I couldn't tell but BK1 was an mmc1 from memory and it should be pretty common. The only clone I bought is a portable one and it kind of feel cheap, could break any time and the compatibility is so-so. I think I was able to make one of my devcart work on it but some games had issues to start because the contact were too old, damaged or dirty compared to my real famicom.
tepples

Post by tepples »

The first Battle Kid was on a clone of UOROM, which is UNROM with a 4-bit bank register instead of 3-bit.
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

Gilbert wrote:
Banshaku wrote:@Gilbert
shape of the cartridge
Quite probably, as I think BK doesn't use a very complicated mapper, but anyway they just say in their disclaimer it may not work without stating what may be the problem (and, hopefully their products aren't poorly made that may fry the original consoles).
That's the problem, they use 3.3v flash without level shifters : https://imgur.com/a/F2WMH/all

See here for the details : https://www.famicomworld.com/forum/inde ... ic=12633.0
Sivak

Post by Sivak »

Hey all. It's been a while.

This new version also uses UxROM and my prototype worked fine on an actual Famicom.
-Sivak
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Great Hierophant

I see. I didn't know about that issue. If the latest carts are like that then I would not be inclined to buy one. Maybe we can ask Sivak about it?

@Sivak

Hey, long time no see :) So it seems you have been busy these days. Like mentioned above, are you aware if they are now making their cart properly? It would be a shame if you cart would have the same issue has the one they did in the past.

Do you know if it's a limited run or they will make a lot of them? The article I read didn't say much about that.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

So I take it they don't manufacture the cartridges themselves, but instead commission them from cheap Chinese manufacturers that will make cartridges from whatever ROMs they're given? That sucks.
Sivak

Post by Sivak »

@Sivak

Hey, long time no see :) So it seems you have been busy these days. Like mentioned above, are you aware if they are now making their cart properly? It would be a shame if you cart would have the same issue has the one they did in the past.

Do you know if it's a limited run or they will make a lot of them? The article I read didn't say much about that.
Hello, thank you.

I have a prototype cart, but I don't really see any way of opening it easily... I did do entire playthroughs of the game and didn't notice issues. It was also brought to my attention that the original 8 bit Music Power was their first cart and they had issues getting it made.

I can't give out specific numbers, but they will produce carts as long as there is demand.
-Sivak