Orange Island - New action adventure RPG

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

vontheodore

Orange Island - New action adventure RPG

Post by vontheodore »

Hi everyone!

I'm Ted and I'm making a game called Orange Island. It's a love letter to old Falcom games (mostly the Dragon Slayer series, Legacy of the Wizard in particular) with some Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, and Kirby's Adventure mixed in.

I'm developing first for PC, but I'm working with someone from here on a NES port (more on that later)! It's really important to me that even the PC version is true to the NES, so I won't be cutting any corners. Below are a few screenshots and you can listen to some of the music here:

https://soundcloud.com/ted-sterchi/sets/orange-island

Looking forward to getting more involved with the NESdev community and hopefully learn a lot along the way.

I'm really interested to see what you think! :D

Here are some more links if you'd like to follow along:

Drozerix

Re: Orange Island - New action adventure RPG

Post by Drozerix »

Looks cool. When do you think you will really start to port it? Have you decided on a mapper?
vontheodore

Post by vontheodore »

Thanks!

Currently 0, we have a little working NES prototype but I assume the mapper will change as development progresses.

Certain things could be ported over now - many of the tilesets are done, the basic engine is there, we have ~10 NSF songs - but I still have to build out a bunch of the levels. Don't want to be porting a moving target, so it might be a while :lol:
sleepingburrito

Post by sleepingburrito »

This game looks visually fantastic!
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

This looks great! Love the visual style and attention to detail. Congrats on launching your Kickstarter!
vontheodore

Post by vontheodore »

Thanks both! I know I'm approaching this whole project in reverse (kind of graphics/music first I guess), but I want to do right by the NESdev community.

I'm sure with Broke Studio onboard we'll make something great! :D
Drozerix

Post by Drozerix »

vontheodore wrote:Thanks both! I know I'm approaching this whole project in reverse (kind of graphics/music first I guess), but I want to do right by the NESdev community.

I'm sure with Broke Studio onboard we'll make something great! :D
That development/release timeline you've got is pretty intense (a little over a year to develop a port and then manufacture and ship several hundred carts) -- I wish you the best of luck on this. Also congrats on your funding!