Force Bot - A brand new game for the NES [homebrew]

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

wendelscardua

Re: Force Bot - A brand new game for the NES [homebrew]

Post by wendelscardua »

bhall408 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:18 pm Did the project stop? The twitter link says

"@ForceBot3
This account doesn’t exist"
Their twitter is now https://twitter.com/ForceBotNES
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Just a quick update here.

The game is pretty much finished. This concludes the 3 years of dev time spent on this project. Currently doing some beta testing and then going to try and wrap this project up.

The game features a total of 192 puzzle levels, which is a ton of content. Definitely a cool upcoming game to check out.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Another update.

The beta testing is nearing its end. Waiting for 2 people to finish. I had a handful of level submissions. The only changes that I would be doing is swapping in some new levels with some old levels if anyone submits a level to me that makes it into the final game.

So levels are basically done. Music is done. Sound effects are done.

I wrote out a wish-list for the programmer of all the extra little things that I would like to see in the game. That's in his hands.

So basically I can say that the project is pretty much finished.

I made a discord for the project as well as my other projects and here is the invite if you are interested in joining.

https://discord.gg/vrwSTM6U
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Scrobins09

Post by Scrobins09 »

So ready to be told when to mark my calendar!
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Okay guys, there it is. After 3 years of working on the game, its finished and here is the Kickstarter Pre-Launch page. I honestly don't believe it. I sunk probably thousands of hours into this project so to cross this off my bucket list.

When I was growing up, it was the late 80's and everyone had an NES. All my friends had it. It was the first gaming console I ever played and owned and I've basically been playing it my whole life. So when I had the opportunity to make a game, it was a dream come true.

Force Bot was a very challenging game to make. There were lots of limitations with the engine I was using. The levels were only 8x8 in size (64 tile playing field), this is pretty small, and only a handful of assets, but through shear will power I made it happen and the game turned out AWESOME!

So come follow the project and check it out. You might think, oh this is just some cheesy block pushing game, but its not. It's probably the best and coolest block pushing puzzle game on the NES period.

I made the levels simple and logical so that you are always solving mini puzzles and such. And I switch up the game play and add in new mechanics as the game progresses. It's very easy to get into, pick up and play mindset that everyone can understand. Overall the game has a lot of charm and makes you want to beat every level.

Again, come follow the project and check it out. It's an instant classic on the NES and a great addition to the library of the NES console.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/er ... w-nes-game

Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Okay well the Kickstarter has launched for the project. If you haven't backed the project yet is the KS link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/er ... w-nes-game

So let's talk for a bit. Here is a little Q and A for the project.

Q: What was the motivation behind the project?
A: I grew up with the NES has a kid. It was the first gaming console I ever played and owned and I've been playing it ever since.

Q: So you wanted to make an NES game?
A: Yes, once I saw other people making brand new NES games I got the itch to make one too.

Q: Did you make your dream game?
A: Well the dream was just to make any NES game. It turned out to be a block pushing game since the engine I used was a block pushing engine.

Q: What engine did you use?
A: Retro Puzzle Maker by cppChriscpp.

Q: How long did the project take?
A: About 3 years working on it off and on. It was very challenging to make the game due to the limited assets in the engine.

Q: How did the game turn out?
A: The game exceeded my expectations. It's actually a great puzzle game.

Q: How is the music for the game?
A: The main composer is Tui and he did a fantastic job. There are two other composers who also gave a track contribution.

Q: So it's a block pushing game, hasn't that been done before? What makes this variation different?
A: There are tons of block pushing games out there, however there are only a handful on the NES. What makes Force Bot different is that the rules in the game are a little different than your typical Sokoban clone. Plus each designer will give their own spin on the genre. Overall it's a pretty unique game, I don't know of any other NES game that is quite like it.

Q: If you were a kid and you rented your own game would you actually like it?
A: I think I would have. It starts out easy so that anyone can get into it, but eventually becomes pretty challenging. The bar for entry is pretty low, think Pac-man, where you can just pick up the game and start playing immediately.

Q: How many levels is it? How long to beat the game?
A: There are a total of 192 levels in the game. Some levels are easy, some are more challenging so it really depends on your skill set. It took the beta-tester around 6 hours to beat the whole game and there were a few levels he was never able to beat if that gives you a ball-park.

Q: How has the game been received thus far?
A: I've demoed the game as a few conventions and so far everyone that has played the game has liked it.

Q: Having developed the game, what are your thoughts on the game?
A: It's a pretty interesting puzzle game and you can't find the same experience playing other block pushing games. There is a certain simplicity to the game such that gives it that nice charm where you want to figure out every puzzle. When I began the project, I set out to make an excellent game for the NES because I wanted to make contribution to the library of the console and I think I achieved this!

Q: Would it get the Nintendo seal of quality?
A: I think it would. Nintendo doesn't honor this seal anymore for NES games, but I will give it my own seal of approval for sure.

Q: Are there plans for a Force Bot 2?
A: Chirs, the programmer has already made some improvements with his engine. With that being said, I think I'm game for a sequel as long as the programmer is also onboard. So if you like Force Bot and want to see me continue the series back the project on Kickstarter.

Q: What tiers do you have on the Kickstarer?
A: There is a $60 cartridge tier and a $10 digital rom tier.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Force Bot orders from the Kickstarter have begun to ship.

When I set out to make Force Bot, I wanted to make one of the coolest games on the NES and I think I did it. It is hands down one of the best block pusher puzzle games on the system. I'm very happy with how it turned out and I hope everyone loves it.

I plan on having a few extra copies left over even after all the Kicker orders have been mailed out so if you want a copy then message me on Twitter and I will work on your order after the KS orders have been processed.

It's a must have for any collector or NES enthusiast.

The game respects your time and you as a player. The puzzles are simple, short and to the point. Anyone can figure out the levels if you put enough time into it. The game is for kids to adults and is pick up and play. Anyone can get into this game. If you get stuck on a level, you are free to skip it at will.

Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Force Bot is now on itch!

https://erockbrox.itch.io/force-bot
calima

Post by calima »

Typo on itch, "planed".