NES Gameboy Printer Projects

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

emerson

NES Gameboy Printer Projects

Post by emerson » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:52 pm

I've been working on interfacing the gameboy printer with the NES. Below you will find some code and a rom of my work thus far. The code contains details on how to make the interface cable so please have a look. The printer engine is at the bottom of the code. The rom is an ascii art generator. In the future I hope to create a pixel art generator (NES Pixel Artist) as well as interface both the printer and family basic keyboard (Messenger Pidgeon). I will post those projects here in this thread when I get around to them.

I hope you find this useful, enjoy!
IMG_1218.JPG
Attachments
nes_ascii_artist.zip
(16.74 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

ccovell

Re: NES Gameboy Printer Projects

Post by ccovell » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:50 pm

That's a very cool project! Makes me want to buy a printer just to try out coding for the interface.

calima

Post by calima » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:29 am

The printer is pretty neat, I have one (for the GB camera and Pokemon certs). I just don't think anyone is making the paper anymore, it needs special thermal sticker paper.

emerson

Post by emerson » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:07 am

I bought 38mm (1.5") thermal paper for this project and it works without issue. You just have to spool out 30' or so at a time and roll it up to fit in the printer. Do not buy official gameboy printer paper since the thermal reactive chemical has neutralized by now and will not work.

If anyone finds 38mm paper with adhesive backing please let me know.

zzo38

Post by zzo38 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:26 pm

OK. I thought of a different way to implement printing, which is to connect the tape port to a fax machine, but will that even work? I don't know.
[url=gopher://zzo38computer.org/].[/url]

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Might be able to emit V.27 using the Famicom Keyboard's mic jack, nothing more sophisticated can be emitted given the 1 bit DAC.

It'd be easier to just bit-bang asynchronous serial to a thermal printer that still uses it.