Kazik i Tajemnicza Świątynia (Kazik and the Mysterious Temple)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

sdm

Kazik i Tajemnicza Świątynia (Kazik and the Mysterious Temple)

Post by sdm »

Early version. Classic gameplay, collect coins, keys open the door and various activities, e.g. platforms, etc. Opponents can be stunned and then eliminated by jumping on them.
Last edited by sdm on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
lancuster

Re: untitled platform maze game

Post by lancuster »

1) When I took the key and reached the block with the key - it didn't disappear.
2) Platforms with diamonds in most cases are inaccessible, because you need to clearly calculate the place of deactivation of the enemy and jump on it. You need to try very hard to make both factors coincide, because the characters fly off automatically after landing on the skull.
3) Some enemies are taken from other games (skull from Robo Warrior, mouse from Little Samson).
4) Why is the game in Polish? You know English, what prevents you from writing a game in an international language?
calima

Post by calima »

Just based on pics, your games all look the same. Maybe try a different direction for a change?
sdm2

Post by sdm2 »

1) When I took the key and reached the block with the key - it didn't disappear.
Because another key opens that door.
2) Platforms with diamonds in most cases are inaccessible
Because they are bonus items with difficult access.
3) Some enemies are taken from other games (skull from Robo Warrior, mouse from Little Samson).
I couldn't make an interesting mouse, so the one from Lickle with a slight modification.
A sprite of skulls is rather an inspiration, not a copy:

4) Why is the game in Polish? You know English, what prevents you from writing a game in an international language?
Because the game is not finished. It will change later.
Attachments
pic01.jpg
pic2.jpg
outdoor.jpg
Last edited by sdm2 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Graphics and sound are good, but gameplay is a little slow. Like if the enemies move faster than you then it feels a little unfair.
sdm2

Post by sdm2 »

DEMO version update. Still a lot of work (especially map design), many things need to be added and changed.
Attachments
snap1.jpg
platfmazegam.jpg
Last edited by sdm2 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Not bad. However, there are still many dishonest places. Yes, and the number of lives would not hurt to increase to 10, and add a continues. :)
P. S.: I still wait for "Jet Set Willy" port.
sdm2

Post by sdm2 »

The "continue" option probably doesn't make sense, because the game state is saved in SRAM (all items collected, doors open, killed enemies etc.), so just use Load Game. Lives will be increased after collecting a certain amount of diamonds. At the moment I am designing a world map, I have already pre-designed (128 screens). It's made by one person (code, gfx, msx, design), so it takes everything a lot of time. Once completed, it will of course be available for free.
Attachments
Kazik-Mapa.jpg
snaps.jpg
Last edited by sdm2 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
sdm2

Post by sdm2 »

Game name PL/ENG:

"Kazik i Tajemnicza Świątynia" / "Kazik and the Mysterious Temple" (NESASM3)

Test version, any comments are welcome (e.g. bugs found etc.)
The game still requires a lot of work, especially the room designs.

A: Jumping
B: Ball throw
SELECT: Pause / Game Map

Gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcxG0DkihpQ

Attachments
Kazik The Game.jpg
Last edited by sdm2 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

I didn't get very far so take this with a grain of salt. I usually really like this kind of game (1001 spikes, Win the Game, Battle Kid etc). The reason I stopped playing this game was: I found this game overly punishing, and the movement felt unsatisfying to play.

(I hope this isn't to harsh; I try to be constructive as possible!)

* Title screen is very underwhelming. Does not match the quality of the rest of the game.
* Having New and Load in the top left is easy to miss.
* I think the title screen music is a little boring.

* Having the skull come and drop you in the level is a nice touch, and feels more polished than most games which just have you standing there waiting to start.
* For a platformer, I would spend a lot more time polishing your jump and movement. Tap to do small jumps, hold for larger, "coyote jump", etc. Cancel the jump when you hit a roof too. I can get more specific if this kind of stuff isn't already on your todo list.
* Art is quite nice!
* Music became VERY repetitive quickly.
* There are rooms where spikes are waiting a few pixels into the screen. It would be nice if those were blocked so you don't walk off the ledge before you know where you are.
* The bouncey ball weapon could use a lot better feedback on damage you are doing to enemies. I thought it just didn't do anything for a while because you have to hit the enemies so many times.
* Ball attack should cancel itself if you try to throw another one why the previous one is still active (rather than forcing the player to wait for it to despawn).
* When you press START on the gameover screen, it instantly restarts without giving you a chance to select "load/continue".
* Checkpoints in screen would be welcome. Although keep the enemies dead after you die in a room is a nice touch.
* Enemies seem to randomly speed up and slow down. I'm not sure if its intentional.
* The use of lives seems unneeded. The game is hard enough. Add a "Iron Man" mode for people who want to beat it with limited lives.
* Pause is on Select which is weird IMO, especially given that START doesn't seem to do anything (but does play a sound effect.
* Is it actually possible to get passed the arrows in like the second room? This is actually where I stopped...
sdm2

Post by sdm2 »

Thanks for your comments.
A lot of things in the game are still not done. The music is from a different game of mine (http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=159706#p207190), only slightly changed and in the end it will be completely different.

The title screen is temporary because I made it quick to make it any.
The ball works similarly to the Hudson Hawk game, I really liked it and therefore used it instead of the classic shooting.

By default, the cursor will be set to LoadGame because I have already noticed that you can accidentally press New Game quickly and lose Save.
Goose2k wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:59 pm * Is it actually possible to get passed the arrows in like the second room? This is actually where I stopped...
But what room exactly?
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

sdm2 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:08 am But what room exactly?
Screenshot 2021-01-11 093249.png

Animated GIF:
kazik_spear.gif
sdm2

Post by sdm2 »

Yes. This is the beginning, probably one of the easier places in the game. I added a few changes, the pointer starting at LoadGame and the deaths counter.

Water Transparency Test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ECcMHYS3rY

Attachments
water_demo.nes
another idea for getting the water effect in the game (test)
(544.02 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
kazik i tajemnicza swiatynia v0.68 test.nes
(544.02 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
pause.jpg
Last edited by sdm2 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

There are a lot of such sneaky places in the game. There are also many places that you can no longer get to if you kill the enemy, because the enemies will not respawn. I dont know who you need to be to pass the game...
sdm2

Post by sdm2 »

lancuster wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:19 am There are also many places that you can no longer get to if you kill the enemy, because the enemies will not respawn.
Can you show one of such places? Probably there are places like this somewhere, the game is not thoroughly tested and is not finished.