Nesdemia - game about covid

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

RJM

Re: Nesdemia - game about covid

Post by RJM »

Wow, this is so awesome! You've even made me a logo, many, many thanks!

I was able to put it in the menu. I have converted hands to sprites and they move, so it looks like leukocyte is trying to jab the virus.
nesdemia.gif
nesdemia.gif (2.31 MiB) Viewed 9341 times
In-game it moves faster than on a gif.

I changed the name to IMMUNATIO, as I did not wanted to upset Nintendo.
RetHunter

Post by RetHunter »

Here are some sticker options based on your corrections that you requested:
Immunatio_12x_1.png
Immunatio_12x_2.png
Image with a transparent background:
Immunatio - transparentBG.png
My version of the lungs for the game:
CHR000.bmp
CHR000.bmp (17.05 KiB) Viewed 9292 times
RJM

Post by RJM »

I have decided to go with blue one on 2nd image in bottom left corner.
I sent it to the person, who is preparing the cart.

This is supercool. Amount of effort you put into this, wow! You even put Chinese immunity word on it and gave Leukocytaman pill with your country flag. I really enjoyed it!

As for the lungs - yours are better. I'll add you to the credits and include other ideas we've talked about in the game. Just need a few days to polish it.

Many thanks!
RetHunter

Post by RetHunter »

Very glad I was able to help!
If you need the best quality for printing, then I can render in any resolution.
Happy New Year!
RJM

Post by RJM »

I have swapped lungs and added you to the credits.
Happy New Year!
RetHunter

Post by RetHunter »

Here I drew a virus with the same parameters as in your game. 16 by 16 pixels, 4 frames. You can add or replace existing ones.
Virus.gif
Virus.gif (6.61 KiB) Viewed 9140 times
Frames:
Virus.png
Virus.png (483 Bytes) Viewed 9140 times
And a few sticker options, with the fixes you asked to make.
Nesdemia_corrected.png
RetHunter

Post by RetHunter »

Viruse 2:
Virus_2.gif
Virus_2.gif (6.57 KiB) Viewed 9133 times
Frames:
Virus_2.png
Virus_2.png (480 Bytes) Viewed 9133 times
Viruse 3:
Virus_3.gif
Virus_3.gif (6.59 KiB) Viewed 9133 times
Frames:
Virus_3.png
Virus_3.png (525 Bytes) Viewed 9133 times
RJM

Post by RJM »

Thanks a lot for improved sticker and virus! I'll put it in the game today.
RJM

Post by RJM »

Game is now officially launched on the real cartridge thanks to krzysiobal.
You can find out more about his work in http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15757.
He was very kind and offered to prepare it for charity for free.

miniaturka.png

I have launched the charity auction on one of the local Polish portals: https://allegro.pl/oferta/immunatio-now ... 0084098372

Big thanks to:
  • krzysiobal for awesome KrzysioCart cartridge
  • RetHunter for all the cool graphics you've made
  • GradualGames for my favorite ggsound engine
  • H6899 for composing immersive game tracks
Without you this wouldn't be possible.
You guys rock!
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I'm noticing in Mesen occasionally it presses right unexpectedly. Especially on the DNA spending screen, this means it automatically adds points to stat you have selected without asking.

This usually indicates a conflict between DPCM samples and the controller read. The "classic" way to solve this is to read the controller in a loop until it reads the same twice in a row: example.
RJM

Post by RJM »

Goose2k wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:25 pm Wow very impressive! Congrats!
Thanks!
rainwarrior wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:32 pm I'm noticing in Mesen occasionally it presses right unexpectedly. Especially on the DNA spending screen, this means it automatically adds points to stat you have selected without asking.

This usually indicates a conflict between DPCM samples and the controller read. The "classic" way to solve this is to read the controller in a loop until it reads the same twice in a row: example.
Thanks for playing the game and bug report! I have logged ticket in github and will fix during the weekend: https://github.com/RomekRJM/nesdemia/issues/51
RetHunter

Post by RetHunter »

Congratulations on the end of the game!
I wish you not to stop and create more than one game of a higher class! I will always be happy to help with graphics!
RJM

Post by RJM »

Thanks for the detailed explanation on DPCM / controller read issue rainwarrior. I reproduced it on Mesen and fixed as you suggested: https://github.com/RomekRJM/nesdemia/bl ... sdemia.nes .

By the way, you've enlightened me. Mesen is such a great tool, I should use. So far development was done on FCEUX. I liked it for abundance of dev tools incorporated in it. I must say Mesen is much better and is under active development. It'll be my emu of choice starting from next project. There is so much more to improve when it comes to my nesdev skills!
RetHunter wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:11 am Congratulations on the end of the game!
I wish you not to stop and create more than one game of a higher class! I will always be happy to help with graphics!
And I'm looking forward to work with you again! I'm now doing some bugfixing, thanks to the feedback from initial batch of users. I'm going to take several weeks of no-game-dev holidays due to personal reasons, but after that I'll be happy to start something new.
RJM

Post by RJM »

I released final version 1.0 of the game: https://github.com/RomekRJM/nesdemia/ra ... sdemia.nes

I've gathered a lot of feedback from the people, who so far donated to charity 450$, buying cartridge and 55 roms.
By the time I'm writing this, game has 4.63/5 score given by the people who bought it, but it's overrated - they liked the charity idea more than the actual game :)

Game also got some nice press in Poland: https://github.com/RomekRJM/nesdemia/ra ... sdemia.nes, there is a video review available in Polish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyVntmwJzo

Based on the feedback I have fixed multiple bugs, they've found and I have also added some minor improvements - game ending and different backgrounds.

I haven't done everything I had in my mind. Namely had to abandon boss fight idea, to meet the charity deadline.

I've learnt a lot by finishing this, especially during the last 6 weeks, working with the users and finding out what people really want. So far I was solely focused on technicalities of building a game. Now I know that design is as much ( if not more ) important. I need to learn how to spice up the "game look and feel" to make the next one more immersive.

Most importantly I've meet some good souls on the path in here and in media.

Thanks for all good advices and mentoring!