Our new NES project (and a question)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

gorghAgenda

Our new NES project (and a question)

Post by gorghAgenda »

Hi folks,
Firstable I would like to say, that I admire your work and programs. I've never been involved in NES coding until earlier this year, when I decided to create some game for it.
The engine is almost ready, the game just lacks proper background graphics.
Here's a short video showing gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqaYSUivpaA
I wish to release the game on physical cartridge, but my friend said it's not fully legal to sell NES games, so I have doubts if I will be ever able to do so, so the project is on hold until I sort that out.
I've read that special chip on cartidge is copyrighted. So therefore I've got a question for you:
Is it safe to release commercial games for NES? Won't my publisher (Retronics) have problems with Nintendo in the future? I don't want to risk losing money :(
Thanks and take care,
gorgh/Agenda
Last edited by gorghAgenda on Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
vnsbr

Re: Our new NES project (and a question)

Post by vnsbr »

Hey! here it shows the video has been removed by the uploader
Is it safe to release commercial games for NES? Won't my publisher (Retronics) have problems with Nintendo in the future? I don't want to risk losing money :(
so far i am aware of zero issues regarding this, unless you use copyrighted materials?
gorghAgenda

Post by gorghAgenda »

now the video is back, I had legal issues because of background music :)
No illegal stuff in the game whatsoever.
DRW

Post by DRW »

Looks very nice so far.

Selling NES games is totally legal. Nintendo doesn't have a monopoly on the creation of NES games.

Just make sure that you don't use copyrighted stuff, including the Nintendo Seal of Quality, Nintendo's company logo etc. or any characters or names invented by Nintendo or any other company.

Don't claim your game is licensed by Nintendo.

And, as a precaution, don't imitate their art style (for example the pixelated black box look) and don't use that black-yellow "Action Series" logo on your cartridge.
Many homebrewers copy that style to look "genuine" or "authentic". But that's bullshit. Did Konami use that style? Did Capcom? No. Hence, if a third party developer copies that style, it is not genuine or authentic because that was not a general NES style, but specifically the "made by Nintendo itself, early generation" style. Likewise, "silver border with vertical lines that become slimmer" is specifically Konami style, not "generic third party developer" style.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

Would you technically have to use a different cartridge design as well? I see a lot (if not all) modern homebrews use an exact mold of a Nintendo cart. Tengen, Camerica, Colour Dreams, American Video Entertainment: they all had their own styled cartridges. Seems like a risky choice to use Nintendo's design.
DRW

Post by DRW »

As far as I know, the patent on the cartridge design has expired or was never approved or something like that.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
tepples

Post by tepples »

A U.S. patent on ornamental nonfunctional design of a product expires 15 years after issue. Apart from Morocco, no country on this list grants exclusive rights in industrial design that subsist more than 25 years.
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

Nice! I had no idea. That is good to hear that. How about copyright, could that apply to the cartridge plastics?
gorghAgenda

Post by gorghAgenda »

thanks for your comments folks, I'll speak about it with my publisher
gorghAgenda

Post by gorghAgenda »

thanks mate, I appreciate it!
dink

Post by dink »

Looks like a fun run 'n gun, my favorite type of game. curious, what made you go with the penis shaped wall-turrets?
gorghAgenda

Post by gorghAgenda »

It wasn't a consious choice, maybe mr Freud could say something about it, but it's not neccessary for those sprites te resemble penis, so I'll probably change it