Port NES/Famicom game to Nintendo VS. hardware possible? (Punch-Out)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: Port NES/Famicom game to Nintendo VS. hardware possible? (Punch-Out)

Post by lidnariq »

I mean, you probably could connect a 2C02 or a famiclone PPU to an existing NTSC demodulator, but I think it'd defeat the purpose of using a Vs. System board?
tepples

Post by tepples »

NESRGB isn't a demodulator. It puts the interposed PPU in a mode where it outputs color indices on the EXT pins and composite out pin, and then it handles all palette logic itself. In TurboGrafx-16 terms, NESRGB acts like a replacement VCE preserving the stock VDC.

The purpose of a Vs. board, as I understand it, is that it has a coin slot that the game program can read.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

You're right, I forgot about the NESRGB.

But from what I've seen, no ones uses Vs. arcade boards in coin-op mode any more; they all seem to just be left in free play. In other words, the point seems to be the cabinet, not the mainboard.
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Yeah I just want to play punch out in a arcade cab and I don’t have a pc10 motherboard :). First I thought about just putting the AV famicom in a cab but it’s 60hz ntsc composite and it’s not supported by the tvset I have :(.. so then I moved to the idea of using one of my Nintendo VS boards so that I also get rgb out :)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Since tepples reminded me, it might actually be easier to NESRGB an NES and put that in a random arcade cabinet than to port the Punch-Out cartridge to a Vs. System daughterboard.

But if you think the idea of making the first new class of daughterboard for the Vs. System sounds fun, don't let me stop you!
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

I actually have a unused rgb kit that I could use.. with my top loader .. i just thought that there might be more ppl than me who would like PO on vs. Hardware :D. But since the game is indeed available on pc10, then the interest for this might be very low :| hmm
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

bytestorm wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:48 am I actually have a unused rgb kit that I could use.. with my top loader .. i just thought that there might be more ppl than me who would like PO on vs. Hardware :D. But since the game is indeed available on pc10, then the interest for this might be very low :| hmm
Based on the response to vs from below, I think there is for sure people who would be interested in a vs port rather than a pc10 version. Especially if you can do some additional hacks to make it special for the vs (coin tracking, new logo, etc)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

bytestorm wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:48 am But since the game is indeed available on pc10, then the interest for this might be very low :|
Between there just not being that many Vs. System machines, and needing a brand new daughterboard, I don't think you're going to get much interest anyway.

So I'd say this should come down to whether this is something you want to do. If ROM hacking and designing new hardware sounds fun, go for it. And you can probably skip the ROM hacking if you limit this to only people with a 2C03 PPU.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

lidnariq wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:04 pm But from what I've seen, no ones uses Vs. arcade boards in coin-op mode any more; they all seem to just be left in free play.
There was at least one in an arcade hall in Akihabara near the station running Vs Super Mario Bros. It's the only old game they had in that arcade. I forgot if it was a Sega or a Taito game center. One of the Sega arcades there apparently closed down last summer, hopefully not the one with the Vs. System.

I'm not 100% sure it wasn't just MAME though, it was using one of the usual modern Sega or Taito cabinets.
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Goose2k wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:42 pm
bytestorm wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:48 am I actually have a unused rgb kit that I could use.. with my top loader .. i just thought that there might be more ppl than me who would like PO on vs. Hardware :D. But since the game is indeed available on pc10, then the interest for this might be very low :| hmm
Based on the response to vs from below, I think there is for sure people who would be interested in a vs port rather than a pc10 version. Especially if you can do some additional hacks to make it special for the vs (coin tracking, new logo, etc)
I am affraid I dont know how to add coins tracking, nor change the logo.. I could probably design a new board and get that working but the palette and coin acceptance things would be out of my league :(
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

bytestorm wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:01 am I am affraid I dont know how to add coins tracking, nor change the logo.. I could probably design a new board and get that working but the palette and coin acceptance things would be out of my league :(
If you do take on this project, you might want to consider supporting the PC10 version. It's the only Playchoice game that's not identical to the NES/FC version, they added battery-backed RAM to the cart, and the game tracks players initials and records shortest fight times. But it also cuts the training scene short. Maybe you know already, just thought I'd mention it since it doesn't seem to be common knowledge.
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Memblers wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:43 am
bytestorm wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:01 am I am affraid I dont know how to add coins tracking, nor change the logo.. I could probably design a new board and get that working but the palette and coin acceptance things would be out of my league :(
If you do take on this project, you might want to consider supporting the PC10 version. It's the only Playchoice game that's not identical to the NES/FC version, they added battery-backed RAM to the cart, and the game tracks players initials and records shortest fight times. But it also cuts the training scene short. Maybe you know already, just thought I'd mention it since it doesn't seem to be common knowledge.
Yes I know the differences. Thats the reason I started thinking about this project in the first place :). Save initials and track fastest time would be great if that would be possible to add.. or just make it support both somehow.