Anguna: Scourge of the Goblin King

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

gauauu

Anguna: Scourge of the Goblin King

Post by gauauu »

Hey all! I've made a NES release of the next game in my action-adventure series Anguna. This one is a direct port from the Atari 2600 version. The fun part of the project was making an attempt to reuse as much code directly from the Atari codebase, just as a challenge to see if I could pull it off.

I ended up rewriting more than I had hoped, but there's still a lot of shared code between the two.

The biggest change, of course, is completely redoing the graphics and sound (With music by Thomas Cippolone and graphics by 2-bit-crook), which took some time. I hope you enjoy it!

We're doing a Kickstarter right now
Attachments
anguna-throwback_009.png
anguna-throwback_009.png (1.45 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
anguna-throwback_010.png
anguna-throwback_010.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
anguna-throwback_011.png
anguna-throwback_011.png (3 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
anguna-throwback_013.png
anguna-throwback_013.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
olddb

Re: Anguna: Scourge of the Goblin King

Post by olddb »

gauauu wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:12 am We're doing a Kickstarter right now
I saw you more than surpassed the amount. Congrats. :D :beer:

So this version has turn based RPG elements?

How do you even do this on the nes?
calima

Post by calima »

Set nametable tiles to black/reveal the other edge as you move, and cover the corners (+ borders if you want pixel smooth) with sprites?
olddb

Post by olddb »

calima wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:35 pm Set nametable tiles to black/reveal the other edge as you move, and cover the corners (+ borders if you want pixel smooth) with sprites?
That's what I was thinking.
Given the nes sprites are so small, seems to take a lot of them to get the effect smoothly.
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

olddb wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:00 am
calima wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:35 pm Set nametable tiles to black/reveal the other edge as you move, and cover the corners (+ borders if you want pixel smooth) with sprites?
That's what I was thinking.
Given the nes sprites are so small, seems to take a lot of them to get the effect smoothly.
At first glance yes. But keep in mind:

* If your common BG0 color is black, you can ignore the attribute table and get away with only setting 8x8 tiles to a black BG tile. This means only one sprite on each side.
* For the top / bottom you *could* use a mapper IRQ to blank the screen...
* ...and even if you don't, you can pretty ignore the sprites / scanline limit if you make your black sprites higher priority. After all, they are supposed to hide any other sprites on those scanlines, so disappearing sprites aren't a problem. Won't help if you're running out of total OAM entries of course. 8x16 sprites would help a bit here.
nia_prene

Post by nia_prene »

This looks fantastic, congrats. With that level of backing, I imagine you can do this for a living? That's the dream
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

olddb wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:29 pm I saw you more than surpassed the amount. Congrats. :D :beer:
Thanks, I'm excited about it!
So this version has turn based RPG elements?
No, but it has a built-in bestiary. As you kill new enemies, an entry will appear, so you can read up about the enemies that you encountered.
How do you even do this on the nes?
Like others said, I just use black background tiles, and cover the corners with sprites. I don't do a super-smooth scrolling of it, it moves in 8px chunks.
This looks fantastic, congrats. With that level of backing, I imagine you can do this for a living? That's the dream
It's certainly exciting, although between kickstarter fees, cost of components, paying for artists work, etc, my net profit is a lot smaller than that number you see on Kickstarter. I'm definitely not complaining, but certainly not something I want to depend on to support a family.