My NES raycaster - ROM link inside!

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Movax12

Post by Movax12 »

This would make a good world view for a port or remake of Alternate Reality. I love those games. Mostly played 'The Dungeon' but couldn't find any good clips of it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIsRiUgT_zo
castrwilliam

Post by castrwilliam »

I'm sorry if I'm trying to bring this thread back from the dead, but there's no evidence that the project has been totally abandoned, and Duke Nukem got released, so... :D

I made a similar spriteless raycaster in Qbasic/QB64 and I think it would be really cool if this could be made similar. I'd be willing to give source, as long as I got credit. As I said, no sound or sprites are needed, so it just might fly on the NES!

Here is a video of my program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1qiQRDeEU0
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

So the goal is to avoid the blocks that come at you? I am not too fond of this idea because it removes two things I consider essential: the ability to turn left and right and the freedom to explore.

It should be possible to come up with some other kind of gameplay that does not require objects to be placed in the maze... You can have a gun and shooting walls is definitely a possibility, so maybe something interesting can be made with those elements.

I do want to add objects eventually, but there would be at most 2 or 3 objects in a room, otherwise the speed would drop too much.
calima

Re: My NES raycaster - ROM link inside!

Post by calima »

Did you have some clever solution to tunneling? I'm playing with a NES raycaster, and at some angles I have really tight tunneling - dropping the increment to very low values would be a fair performance hit.
Attachments
tunnel.png
tunnel.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I did not have that problem at all. We're probably using different techniques for casting the rays.
tepples

Post by tepples »

You might cast both an X ray and a Y ray and use whatever hits closest. Or when the ray enters each cell, you might check whether both X and Y have changed and check the adjacent cell if so.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

tepples wrote:You might cast both an X ray and a Y ray and use whatever hits closest.
This is what I do. I cast 2 rays, X and Y, extending the shortest one each step, and testing whether a wall was hit. I never detect the wrong wall this way.