It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:50 pm 

I'm starting a weekly video development blog for my project to help me stay engaged. I'll update this post with links when they are released. Let me know what you think of the project :D

Devlog 001
Devlog 002

Last edited by qbradq on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:21 am 

So far, IMO: awesome. Greatly appreciate the Ultima-style method -- brings me back to days of yore... :-) Keep at it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:12 am 

I subscribed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:59 am 

Thank you everyone for the subscriptions! It's really encouraging :D

I'm very sick this weekend (that's why I sound kinda spacey an unenthusiastic on the video) so I may not get a lot done this week, but I'll also show parts of my dev stack in future videos as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:26 am 

Subscribed!

If this is an Ultima clone I hope you'll ditch the food requirement. Realism in RPGs can bite my Dingoo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:52 am 

slobu wrote:
If this is an Ultima clone I hope you'll ditch the food requirement. Realism in RPGs can bite my Dingoo.

Agreed :P

As I work on the design more and play around with the prototype I'm thinking about taking this in a different direction. More of a Binding of Issac type of game than Ultima. For some reason the Ultima-like concept just seems boring to me somehow.

I think what it comes down to is that I wouldn't enjoy playing an Ultima-like game that I created.

Also there's been a title change now that I have themed the design. I'll update everything with the next devblog, which may come more than weekly.

Again, thank you all for the subscriptions! It's very encouraging. Also, in case anyone is wondering I never finished that FFVII speedrun I was working on. Diablo 3 came out and it was all over with :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:26 pm 

Yeah. The only thing that would excite me (as the developer) would be a Dwarven Fortress type adventure mode where everything is procedurally/randomly generated. Ultima as a sandbox game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:52 pm 

The Ultimas were very much sandbox games, but static sandboxes like the GTA series. I'm thinking of doing something that isn't exactly a sandbox, but with randomly generated content.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:43 pm 

slobu wrote:

I've been toying with making food optional but helpful. One would require food only for running; walking can be done on an empty stomach.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:37 pm 

One idea that's been used in some recent Roguelikes is to use food items for slow health regeneration. Like you slowly regen your health over time, but not if you're hungry. I kinda like the idea.

Some of the later Ultima ports (U5 for NES comes to mind, terrible game that it is) only consumes food when you camp or sleep. If a character has food in their inventory the regen health as normal. Otherwise they do not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:29 pm 

See, what you and tepples suggest is exactly the way to balance realism with fun. Minimize negative rewards. Maximize rewards for using game systems. Basically, get them to squeeze as much gameplay out of your work and reward them for it. Why can't big brand name companies get this?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:34 am 

How should "Skare" be pronounced?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:34 am 

Well the name's been changed so it's not much of a difference. I pronounce it like Ska-Rey. It's my DND campaign setting from Highschool. It's what I name any fantasy-themed project before I have a name for it :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:12 am 

Quick tip (maybe you can use this in some amusing way): the word "skare" in Swedish is pronounced the same way (skah-rey) and refers to the situation where there's hard layer(s) of snow on top of layer(s) of soft snow. I can assure you our Scandinavian buddies will find this game title quite amusing ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:29 am 

Quote:
the word "skare" in Swedish is pronounced the same way (skah-rey)

The description was correct, but it's actually pronounced more like skah-reh (or skaoh-reh if you're Scanian :P )