The Legends of Owlia

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: The Legends of Owlia

Post by tepples »

Ever thought about releasing source code a few years after that, like Id used to with its FPS engines?
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

tepples wrote:Ever thought about releasing source code a few years after that, like Id used to with its FPS engines?
I suppose I could, I don't see why not actually. There are some rather horrific messes in both Nomolos and Owlia, which would have you and other programmers I respect headdesking and face palming all day long, but I wouldn't mind sharing, lol. :lol: I think I'll feel better about releasing the code to my new game, as I feel I'm doing a better/cleaner job overall. If anybody wants the code though now that the game's out in the wild I'd be happy to share it privately at the very least.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I think it's very cool of you (and na_th_an) to sort of give these games a second wave through free online distribution after a while. Thanks!

Free quality games may attract making their own games/code snippets/assets for the platform, who knows. I mean, i lurked nesdev a bit in '08, and i had battle kid 1 and 2, but it wasn't until i discovered and got inspired by the super bat puncher demo i decided to join, which wouldn't have happened if it wasn't downloadable.

On another note, it glitched out a plenty in fceux 2.2.2 right from the start - old and new ppu alike. Is this a known problem?
Attachments
owlia-0.fm2
(53.32 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

FrankenGraphics wrote:I think it's very cool of you (and na_th_an) to sort of give these games a second wave through free online distribution after a while. Thanks!

Free quality games may attract making their own games/code snippets/assets for the platform, who knows. I mean, i lurked nesdev a bit in '08, and i had battle kid 1 and 2, but it wasn't until i discovered and got inspired by the super bat puncher demo i decided to join, which wouldn't have happened if it wasn't downloadable.

On another note, it glitched out a plenty in fceux 2.2.2 right from the start - old and new ppu alike. Is this a known problem?
Yes, the problem is UnROM doesn't support 512kb. There was a special branch of fceux I had used, but then I think those changes were baked into the latest version as I'm pretty sure I'm using 2.2.3 at the moment.

I find it amusing some emulators are a bit more lenient about that sort of thing. Like if UnROM boards from the past only ever had say 8 or 16 PRG roms, but then a rom says I want mapper 2 but 32 PRG roms, some emulators are like: "Welp, don't know what board YOU were using but sure, why not?" (Like, Nestopia has always worked with this config for me)
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Haha, reminds me of a teacher who once described MacOs as "snapping you on the nose for doing something 'the wrong way', but generally will allow you to do it anyway". :)
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Looks like a great game, even though the graphics aren't anything exceptional. The idea to resolve around falconry is very innovative ! I'll have to see if I'm hooked once I feel in a mood to play story-driven games.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Bregalad wrote:Looks like a great game, even though the graphics aren't anything exceptional. The idea to resolve around falconry is very innovative ! I'll have to see if I'm hooked once I feel in a mood to play story-driven games.
Thanks! I'd hesitate to say Owlia is truly story-driven. It's got "a" story, but it's not exactly deep as you will find out. It's more of a linear action-adventure than what you may be expecting. Originally I had been imagining a sprawling open world, but for a wide variety of reasons I wound up constraining it quite a bit. I'm in this for the long haul though so I very well may have a longer rpg/adventure like game in the future...(currently working on another platformer though)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

GradualGames wrote: I suppose I could, I don't see why not actually. There are some rather horrific messes in both Nomolos and Owlia, which would have you and other programmers I respect headdesking and face palming all day long, but I wouldn't mind sharing, lol. :lol:
Don't worry about that. I think all programmers experience that, and even worse in professional projects where you just want to get to the results. Honestly it doesn't matter how much spaghetti code you end up with, if the end result is good without obvious problems. In my world, programming isn't about following perfect patterns and creating ingenious algorithms, as much as it's about creating something from your imagination.

If you don't feel confident about your code, I don't think there's any reason to share it though. Personally I'm never comfortable sharing code that wasn't initially written as a part of a team project. It's not that it's embarassing, or I'm trying to protect any thing - it just feels personal to me.
calima

Post by calima »

Finished it. It was pretty fun, though I needed the walkthrough in places, same ones as people mentioned ages ago: getting out of the first forest, and in the tundra dungeon key rooms. Many puzzles were also not really discoverable, and I really wanted the text boxes sped up.

"Fartress" :P
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

So, I'm stuck in a room with two weird creatures turning in circle and some kind of unreconizable object appearing only when a light ray coming from the mouth of both creatures simultaneously. I have no way to get that object through.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

A while back I made a walkthrough after I played it:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/194045-the ... faqs/73690
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

clue: interact

clue2: with them

clue3: timing is involved
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

calima wrote:Finished it. It was pretty fun, though I needed the walkthrough in places, same ones as people mentioned ages ago: getting out of the first forest, and in the tundra dungeon key rooms. Many puzzles were also not really discoverable, and I really wanted the text boxes sped up.

"Fartress" :P
Arrr, it be how pirates talk, aye? Ye be seekin' Mermon's FARtress.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Played through some of it - bumped into a game freezing bug appeared in the submarine. Or well, the counter at zp addr $40 is spinning, but everything else is dead; screen frozen. I think talking to the captain trigged it.

I'll leave the game running for the rest of the day in case you want me to look at anything in particular.

Ps - does anybody have a password for the docks?
BacteriaMage

Post by BacteriaMage »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Ps - does anybody have a password for the docks?
Sure! This password is for the docks:

3SSKJLKWLG

Game seems to work okay for me in FCEUX 2.2.3 but if you are having trouble with the submarine this code is for Mermon's Fortress immediately after the submarine boss:

4QSKI1KX3F