EMUya - A emulation store for homebrew NES development

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

blargg

Re: EMUya - A emulation store for homebrew NES development

Post by blargg »

Zelex wrote:http://i.imgur.com/ksbfouX.jpg
[...]
Indie NES games take front stage with EMUya. :)
I loved that indie game. Better get permission from its author just to be sure it's OK to include it.
Zelex

Post by Zelex »

haha :) yeah, sorry. One of my favorite classic games there. ;)

image removed :)
Last edited by Zelex on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelex

Post by Zelex »

Just finished replay support. I did it quite a bit differently than most other emulators to have the ability to have replays still work even if the timing of the emulator changes due to a bug fix for this game or that. I'll post about it in nesemdev tomorrow
Zelex

Post by Zelex »

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Looks good! But are you sure you're mixing sounds right? Sounds like it has way too much noise channel.
Zelex

Post by Zelex »

tepples wrote:Will there be a way to optimize games for the analog stick or trackpad?
I could simulate an input device for that. IIRC, doesn't the NES have a peripheral that is similar?
Zelex

Post by Zelex »

3gengames wrote:Looks good! But are you sure you're mixing sounds right? Sounds like it has way too much noise channel.
I very well may not be 100% correct in audio mixing. PPU is a lot easier to verify correctness on, APU is a bit harder.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Zelex wrote:
tepples wrote:Will there be a way to optimize games for the analog stick or trackpad?
I could simulate an input device for that. IIRC, doesn't the NES have a peripheral that is similar?
For absolute position devices:
The Oeka Kids tablet, but almost nothing uses it, and we don't have hardware to test against.
The Arkanoid Vaus controller, but it's only one axis, and almost nothing uses it.
The Zapper, but extracting X coordinates in software kinda sucks.
You could do something goofy and treat the power pad as one where the X and Y axes are ludicrously low precision.
The power glove and U-Force also have absolute position modes, but they're not widely used.
For relative position devices:
the SNES mouse, the Subor mouse, and the Hori trackball
tepples

Post by tepples »

Zelex wrote:
I don't necessarily remember an analog stick peripheral, but Thwaite includes support for the Super NES Mouse protocol, which I developed using an adapter that infiniteneslives had made for me. Perhaps the trackpad could emulate such a mouse, where the read values reflect differences in finger position from one read to the next.

NES and Super NES controller protocol is essentially SPI at 5.0 V. N64 protocol is PWM on an open drain line at 250 kHz at 3.3 V. The order of buttons in N64 controller report $01 is similar to the order of buttons in Super NES controller's report.
  1. A, B, Z, Start, Up, Down, Left, Right
  2. 0, 0, L, R, C Up, C Down, C Left, C Right
  3. X coordinate, two's complement, MSB first, -80 (left) to 80 (right)
  4. Y coordinate, two's complement, MSB first, -80 ($B0, ?) to 80 (?)
I apologize for not being able to determine the orientation of the Y axis, but several references like this make no reference to orientation, another states "I don't remember which are the directions for the Y-Axis", and the reference that it appears a lot of people had been using has gone 404 ("This page intentionally left blank."), and Wayback Machine has removed it due to robots.txt. I imagine that documentation authors have considered orientation unimportant because anyone programming the Nintendo 64 or constructing an adapter from N64 controllers to anything else would immediately recognize that the orientation is incorrect.

GameCube uses a similar protocol, except the buttons are in a different order.

EDIT: I just realized that 10011 of 110001 posts on this board are mine, and this isn't binary. I have no life.
Zelex

Post by Zelex »

Ok, lets do it with the SNES mouse then! This gives you guys a way to dev and debug with existing tools. I can implement that maybe in the next weekend or two? Depends on how long it takes me to set up the time-attack competition framework that I'm super excited about :)

Would you prefer the analog sticks be simulated as a mouse at the center of the screen? or as a literal value instead of a delta? maybe some other way? Also, which analog stick? the right or left?

I'll see about doing a SDL port as well as it will be easier for you guys to test on.

Edit: or wait! we can use the second controller to give the other analog stick input?! so we can have both sticks then!
Zelex

Post by Zelex »

More information for international devs and taxes: http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/1008/e ... evs#latest
Zelex

Post by Zelex »

B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Funny how you call it "a legal emulator" and show pirated multicarts in the menu. :X
Zelex

Post by Zelex »

B00daW wrote:Funny how you call it "a legal emulator" and show pirated multicarts in the menu. :X
hahaha! I was thinking the same thing actually :) but it was 2am and I was tired so I uploaded it anyway. It didn't originally have that title, but I changed it to that after-the-fact.

Its the iTunes of legal emulation. iTunes has a thriving store, but you can still put MP3s into your library if you really want to. We just make it easier to do it legit than it is to do it any other way.

PS. I inherited some pirate multi-carts from my father-in-law! :) He got them when he was over seas in the Navy.
blargg

Post by blargg »

Well, legal emulator is redundant anyway, since all emulators are legal AFAIK.