EMUya - A emulation store for homebrew NES development

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

slobu

Re: EMUya - A emulation store for homebrew NES development

Post by slobu » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:12 pm

I'd be interested in offering some of my Atari 2600 games if you could integrate yet another platform to your system.

Zelex

Post by Zelex » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:41 am

slobu wrote:I'd be interested in offering some of my Atari 2600 games if you could integrate yet another platform to your system.
Great! :) Yup, I'll let you know when the Atari emulator is ready. EMUya was always intended to be a multi-system, multi-platform emulator, just starting with NES and Ouya. I'll probably be able to start the Atari emulator in April or late March I think.

slobu

Post by slobu » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:46 am

Zelex wrote:
slobu wrote:I'd be interested in offering some of my Atari 2600 games if you could integrate yet another platform to your system.
Great! :) Yup, I'll let you know when the Atari emulator is ready. EMUya was always intended to be a multi-system, multi-platform emulator, just starting with NES and Ouya. I'll probably be able to start the Atari emulator in April or late March I think.
Yes! Please message me when ready. What are your terms? Can I still release the source and ROM online? How are royalties dealt with?

As a side this website is effectively endorsing piracy with EMUYa by telling people to go to CoolRoms:
http://www.oriku.com/emuya.html

If they really want to endorse your product they should recommend PDROMs.de for public domain homebrew.

Zelex

Post by Zelex » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:23 am

slobu wrote: Yes! Please message me when ready. What are your terms? Can I still release the source and ROM online? How are royalties dealt with?
No terms other than you have to be a US citizen. I'm not familiar with how to deal with out-of-country taxes and regulations, so for now I'd like to keep that simple. However, If I have to, I'll do the research and figure out what to do. You can release the source and ROM online additionally if you want. You set the price, but I would recommend keeping it under 10 dollars for acceptable and 5 dollars for optimal. Sivak's pricing for Battle Kid is going to be about 4.49 or 4.99. We'll test it out and see what the market will bear.

How are royalties dealt with?
I send you a check and a 1099 that you have to file with your taxes at the beginning of the calendar year.
slobu wrote: As a side this website is effectively endorsing piracy with EMUYa by telling people to go to CoolRoms:
http://www.oriku.com/emuya.html

If they really want to endorse your product they should recommend PDROMs.de for public domain homebrew.
Oriku is my brother's company that we'll be releasing EMUya under.

Thats a good point. I should update that w/ PDROMs.de.

I'm kind of torn about how to handle people wanting to play "classic" games. In order for people to open up EMUya in the first place to see your indie games, there needs to be a reason to do so and also a reason for people to come back regularly to see the new games that you put on the store. A store with 1 or 2 games in there is not enough to keep people's attention. And while eventually the store will be populated with many indie NES games, eventually may never happen as the store needs a launching point to get off the ground. So, I think at first, we need to have support in there for that, but eventually we can take it out if need be.

Punch

Post by Punch » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:00 pm

One idea is to change the name to BREWya or something like that, calling it EMUya will make people think that it's an emulator that plays romz for free and :lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:09 pm

BREW makes me think of this abomination from the feature phone era.

As I understand it, the games wouldn't be listed as "EMUya" in the store; they'd be listed under a title like "STREEMERZ: Super Strength Emergency Squad Zeta" with "Powered by EMUya" or something in the description.

Zelex

Post by Zelex » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:49 am

For tax purposes, if you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident, U.S. partnership or U.S. corporation, please complete and upload the following form:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

Otherwise, please fill out and upload the following form:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf

Fill em out, sign it and send it to me over the internets. jon.olick {@} gmail {dot} com

infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 am

Seems like kind of a hassle to have to sell a rom though the emulator only especially with the taxing issues and such. Shouldn't the developer be able to somehow sell the rom on their own accord through OUYA and then it could be loaded in your emulator or others that were compatible? Why not do something like that as a possible option? Sure it may be easier for the rom to get undesirably distributed though piracy, but if the developer cared more about that than taxes through you it'd be worth it. You could even provide an encryption key with the rom that only allowed it to be unlocked in EMUya or whatever it gets named. Then one wouldn't have to worry about royalties but still have about the same amount of copy protection right? Especially if you're not charging anything to play a rom in your EMUya. In the case that you didn't charge you're basically dealing with the exchange of money and tax accounting of all game sales for NO income on your end. Doesn't exactly sound like a fun time to me, but perhaps your a programmer and hobby accountant... ;)

With a 1099 you can't write off any of your expenses of development. All earnings are taxable income. Although I guess if OUYA is giving you a 1099 also then the only thing different is who it's coming from.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:57 pm

infiniteneslives wrote:With a 1099 you can't write off any of your expenses of development.
What makes you think that? Google 1099 expenses led me here.

infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:02 pm

tepples wrote:
infiniteneslives wrote:With a 1099 you can't write off any of your expenses of development.
What makes you think that? Google 1099 expenses led me here.
Yeah I guess you're right. I must have been thinking of W-2.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers

Zelex

Post by Zelex » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:56 pm

infiniteneslives wrote:Seems like kind of a hassle to have to sell a rom though the emulator only especially with the taxing issues and such. Shouldn't the developer be able to somehow sell the rom on their own accord through OUYA and then it could be loaded in your emulator or others that were compatible? Why not do something like that as a possible option? Sure it may be easier for the rom to get undesirably distributed though piracy, but if the developer cared more about that than taxes through you it'd be worth it. You could even provide an encryption key with the rom that only allowed it to be unlocked in EMUya or whatever it gets named. Then one wouldn't have to worry about royalties but still have about the same amount of copy protection right? Especially if you're not charging anything to play a rom in your EMUya. In the case that you didn't charge you're basically dealing with the exchange of money and tax accounting of all game sales for NO income on your end. Doesn't exactly sound like a fun time to me, but perhaps your a programmer and hobby accountant... ;)

With a 1099 you can't write off any of your expenses of development. All earnings are taxable income. Although I guess if OUYA is giving you a 1099 also then the only thing different is who it's coming from.

If you want me to put the game on the store for free, then no you don't need to fill out any forms.

If however you make over $600 (which if you do sell your rom, I expect you probably will in great excess of), I have to report it to the government. What the W9 form does really is identify you as a specific individual to the government so that when I file a tax report to the government they know who you are.
All earnings are taxable income
A 1099 says that this is how much you made from what source. Its just informational purposes for the IRS and doesn't restrict deductions.

Zelex

Post by Zelex » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Something that Dave and I were talking about it was putting together time attack competitions :) Should be fun!

How hard is it to definitively detect the end of a game condition programmatically by inspecting ram or maybe when the PC hits a certain address?

Zelex

Post by Zelex » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 am

Pics or it didn't happen?!

http://i.imgur.com/cywFI5j.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qBCaF6V.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nEArJ0A.jpg

Indie NES games take front stage with EMUya. :)

The emulator also does some quite amazing things, such as the ability to reverse time, braid style.

We are currently working on recording playthroughs which has an awesome twist when you combine it with time reversal. We will be bringing time attacks to the masses and hosting tool assisted time attack competitions =D

EMUya also emulates the NTSC signal, giving you a very authentic feel.

All games run locked at 60fps with attention paid to input lag.

[these pics were far bigger than my PC's monitor --MOD]
Edit: yeah they are quite big. Elgato capture device I suppose. I'll resize and re-upload.
Last edited by Zelex on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelex

Post by Zelex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:47 am

Great news everyone!

EMUya has been approved and will be a day one launch title!!

We've also had some interest from the press about doing news stories on indie NES games and EMUya! =D Exciting times!

tepples

Post by tepples » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Will there be a way to optimize games for the analog stick or trackpad?