Getting someone to do a let's play of your homebrew game?

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

sdwave

Getting someone to do a let's play of your homebrew game?

Post by sdwave »

Have any of you guys finding someone to do a lets play of your homebrew game?

I'm trying to get find an experienced gamer to do a blind playthrough and make a
LP video of it so I can see how a someone completely new to the game reacts and plays, and how
intuitive the controls are.

Unfortunately the let's play forums I've been to are hostile towards any type of
"interest checks" or requests to LP a game so there is no way to enlist help on those
forums.

Emailing/PMing my favorite LPers has not worked either.

Any ideas as to how I could find someone to do this.

-Sedwave
Hiatus Ward Alpha: http://www.nesworld.com/homebrew/hiatwrd0.zip
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Re: Getting someone to do a let's play of your homebrew game

Post by 3gengames »

Not to be mean, but it'd help if the game was much much much more polished...I start it up and I can only notice glitches everywhere...it's a pretty big turn off IMO.
sdwave

Post by sdwave »

A lot depends on what emulator you run it on too. Many emulators will have a lot more glitching due to the tight timing. Only an actual NES or Nintendulator seems to run it well.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I ran it in NESTopia, puNES (Mast accurate emulator), FCEUX...and got the same junk in all 3. I highly doubt it runs on a console well, honestly. But a lot has probably changed, so I hope the best for it?
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Not to discourage you. But I have some critque.

First of all the core gameplay: I realise this is a very early version and probably not even close to release. But your level layouts enemy design and graphics just seem kinda focusless. The player doesn't really seem to be guided into any direction. The graphics seem to be kinda muddy, and it's hard to differentiate different places. I think both of these issues can be fixed though, and considering it is an early version I don't think I can draw any conclusions quite yet.

Second of all as Threegen mentioned, there seem to be a lot of glitches. I haven't tried it on a real nes (yet?). But everything is flickering, jumpy and when I press select 3/4 of the screen goes black for some reason. You should really work on the stability of the game before you proceed much futher, otherwise you'll be building on a muddy foundation.

The above points gave me the impression that you worked really hard on the cool raster effects and things like your dying animation. But you kinda rushed over the most important things, the foundation. I don't want to discourage you though, you've probably done more programming on this game than a lot of people on this forum can say. However I think it'd be wise to maybe make a design document, outline exactly what you want to do, and also fix the bugs currently in your game. If you manage to do those things, I think the community will gain a great game. :)
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Looks like a very promising game, but as the other said, there is still a lot of work to be done.

Personally I'd go for smaller and better animated sprites. Or if you want to keep them this huge, go ahead, but at least make the levels and collision detection so that the heroine's head is not constantly hitting against the ceiling.
slobu

Post by slobu »

I've had a similar problem getting people to try my Atari 2600 co-op shooter. ROM is available. Pictures present. Very few indie gamers willing to fire up Stella and play. I really believe the hook is a YouTube video. I'd make bullet points out of the feedback you've gotten here and at Nintendoage and see what can be done. AFTER THAT I'd make the "let's Play" video yourself.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

The graphics garbage at the screen and text box changes should be certainly fixed up before promoting the game. It makes way much worse overall impression that it should do, having all the potential.

Speaking of getting a let's player to the game, there is another thing to consider. They are mostly doing games that they have a personal connection with - played them being kids, or didn't play but wanted to, etc. This is actually required, as you have to be familiar with a game to make a good video of it. So you would need a special kind of let's player, who like to play new games, previously unseen by him, unprepared.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Ah, this game! Good to see you kept working on it.

I believe that the reason people won't do a "let's play" is because it doesn't feel like a complete game yet. Glitches are still abundant, as well as collision issues. Screen transitions are very messy, you should use fading or at least blank the screen properly between areas. So yeah, it definitely needs polish.

As for the ROM behaving differently in different emulators, I really don't see a reason for this. The effects you're using don't seem to require that much accuracy, besides proper behavior of MMC3 IRQs. Scroll changes during HBlank can be somewhat tricky, but HBlank is long enough to accommodate any possible jittering. Unless you're doing something really extreme, it SHOULD work on most emulators. The fact that it appears to work on hardware isn't determinant... if it's flimsy in emulators (when it has no reason to) it might still fail on hardware under certain circumstances.

The feel I get from this game is very close to the one I get when I play Hong Kong demakes from Genesis and SNES games. Large, flickery sprites with sub-optimal physics and glitches all around. But your game has more potential than those pirate games, and if you put more effort into polishing it I believe you can make it look like an actual game.
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

Personally, I consider the "Let's Play..."-category of videos an abomination, as whenever I want to show a friend a playthrough of a favorite game of mine, the top Youtube search results lead to a video where all funky music is replaced with some blabbering dude who seems to love the sound of his his own voice far too much.

I tried your game on my powerpak, and like others have mentioned it's far too glitchy to be enjoyable at this stage. The screen is constantly shaking,, and the character portraits - while having quite nice graphics - are flickering way too much.

Got to the boss battle, where the AI felt quite good compared to the rather dull enemies. After that I was stuck, as the defeated boss told me the new item I received from her is usable with SELECT, which only activates the monochrome bit (debug?) setting. Going back to the beginning showed her still greeting me for my new mission as if the boss encounter never happened, so seems some game event never really got triggered.

Two deadly sins of level design IMO that the game employs are:
1) Confusing parallax. The parallax scrolling might be technically cool but really distracts gameplay. Whenever you want to use a parallax backdrop in a game you need to make it subtle and distinct from the level you interact with. The easiest way is to have it use different and darker colors. I know this is a bit tricky with the NES's limited color palette, but you can always employ dithering here. At the moment, the backdrop uses not only the same color sets as the BG, but even the same tiles in some places.

2) Maze of twisty little passages, all alike. Far too much level with too little variations in appearance, causing you to feel lost and wonder whether you're progressing or just going around in circles. Hope this will change as more graphics are added in a later version.

Game definitely has potential though, and with some polishing it could very well turn out to be one of the better homebrews seen on the NES.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Bananmos wrote:Whenever you want to use a parallax backdrop in a game you need to make it subtle and distinct from the level you interact with. The easiest way is to have it use different and darker colors.
Not necessarily darker, but it needs to have less contrast. If you look at the distance under daylight, you'll notice that the saturation and the contrast of objects decrease as the distance increases, to the point where everything starts becoming blue. During the night the effects is similar, but things get darker pretty quick.
I know this is a bit tricky with the NES's limited color palette
To draw images with less saturation on the NES you can try using only the lighter or the darker end of the palettes, never making use of the full brightness spectrum. A lot of NES games have backgrounds like that.

Look at a mock-up(?) from a post I found a while ago in some other forum. Notice the low saturation and contrast of the background. I find that image quite well done actually, it appears to have many more colors than it actually has, and the separation between background and foreground is perfectly obvious.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

This game is glitchy as hell. The title screen being so glitchy leaves a terrible impression. You need to find better ways to make the game not show areas that are being drawn on. For example, try disabling rendering while the screen contents are being redrawn, then have the next NMI enable rendering again.

I'm also not a big fan of the jumping sprite, she is leaning too far forward.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I'm also not a big fan of the jumping sprite, she is leaning too far forward.
This - and there is too few animations steps in my opinion.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I think there is some impressive technical work in here, and I'd like to see you keep working on it, but honestly I can see why you're having trouble finding someone who wants to Let's Play this game. Some of these points have been made by others, but here's what I'd suggest after playing it for a bit:

1. I had a lot of difficulty telling what was solid and what was not. It seems many ramps can be jumped through from below, and some you will fall through from above. I would suggest reserving the silver colour exclusively for solid tiles so that the player can have a good idea of what is supposed to be solid.

2. It's easy to trigger a speech section twice, and without any way to speed up or skip the text, it is very tedious to watch a second time.

3. The levels are sprawling and confusing. Exits take you to very unexpected places. Because the exits are essentially just teleports, and all places look the same, this is very hard to follow. There is no reward for the player for exploring, you're simply going the right way or the wrong way, it seems.

4. There's a ton of jitter and flicker and other graphical glitches, on emulators or PowerPak. Motion is choppy in general. It's a huge eyesore, and if you can't get it more stable you might consider that you're sacrificing too much for the rendering effects.

5. The enemies are uninteresting, and pose an annoyance rather than a threat. One problem I think is that the enemy sprites are so large, there is not much place for manoeuvring. It might help to have enemies with timed periodic behaviours, giving the player something to predict and react to. The ninjas right now just seem to move about chaotically, there is nothing fun about fighting them.

I did not manage to get to the boss.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

I tried it out. It's Arcade Strider with a kunoichi in it; looks very cool and the idea shows promise.

However, you need to fix all the glitching. Just because Capcom never fixed it in NES Strider doesn't mean you don't have to.

Also, the levels should make some sense. Large sloping metatiles are great for parapets and rooftops, but underneath those roofs should not be a jigsaw puzzle of angles.

Good luck with the project!