AMT630A firmware for mini TFT screens

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
qczek

Re: AMT630A firmware for mini TFT screens

Post by qczek »

One more question,
Is it ATM630A reset pin anyware on the board? Or should i solder GND directivity to the chip?
qczek

Post by qczek »

Hi,
I managed to read/write flash without pulling reset pin, and i upladed AMT630A.BIN but, with this firmware nothing is displayed. When video signal is not connected screen is black, when it's connected it's brighter that's all.
What do i wrong?
Kris
PS
Maybe attached original firmware will be useful for somebody.
Attachments
3.5Inch_lcd_oryginal_flash.zip
(23.26 KiB) Downloaded 977 times
tonycheunghkg

Post by tonycheunghkg »

Hi,
I've found the schematics from supplier https://tigermagnetics.com/zip/AMT630_d ... matics.rar. If I remove all Buck convertor IC and peripherals of XL1509 may I give to board 5V ? Image
debian

Post by debian »

Hello everyone!

I replaced the TFT display on my monitor
and the image is shifted to the bottom ~ 16 pixels

where in the firmware can this effect be compensated? :beer:
jameghino

Post by jameghino »

debian wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:48 am Hello everyone!

I replaced the TFT display on my monitor
and the image is shifted to the bottom ~ 16 pixels

where in the firmware can this effect be compensated? :beer:
I'd like to connect a small TFT 2", do you know if it is possible? what kind of display is compatible with this boar?
Thanks
aarkay_14

Post by aarkay_14 »

Dear people who know how to program the SPI for this small LCD! May I ask you to kindly let me know how to program AMT630a? I have an SPI programmer tool but what pins do I connect to and what software to use?

-Rama
n3tb1t

Post by n3tb1t »

Hello,

Just want to share some SDK's that I found here http://www.best-micro.com/DataDownload
Attachments
AMT630A_DBell_SDK_V2.3_20150703.rar
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 463 times
AMT630A_CAR_V2.3_20150528.rar
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 468 times
qczek

Post by qczek »

n3tb1t wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:04 pm Hello,

Just want to share some SDK's that I found here http://www.best-micro.com/DataDownload
Hi
Did you manage compilation ?
Kris
n3tb1t

Post by n3tb1t »

qczek wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:10 am
n3tb1t wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:04 pm Hello,

Hi
Did you manage compilation ?
Kris
Hi,

Yes, using uVision v5.27, just took some tweeks to build successufly
Boris-leo

Post by Boris-leo »

Hi to all.
I have: controller board on AMT630A. Two SPI Flash dumps for resolution 800*480 (LCD panel like AT070TN92) and 1024*600 (LCD panel NETRON - the same AT070TN92 but resolution 1024*600). Both dumps working perfect with appropriate LCD's.
What do I want: find the way to change any FW for resolution 800*600 (for using controller board with LCD panel AT080TN52) or maybe create needed firmware.
Because this goal is a "one-time" and will no more needed in the future - need to find some simple solution. If there is such a solution - please tell me.
I have everything I need to achieve this goal - programmers, SPI Flash chips any LCD panels. I have no FW only.
Sorry for my English. Thanks in advance.
giobbi

Post by giobbi »

Hi,
nocash wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 amFor fixing the original firmware issues: I've found a bit that makes it recognize C64 video signals (another approach without firmware pataching, discovered by other people would be using an external sync separator, and then merging the extracted sync signal back to the C64 composite signal).
ok ok ok, I need a little help. I'm feeling a little lost, here, with my poor knowledge :-(

I just discovered the ATM630A doesn't support Commodore 64. What a pity. Since the CRT monitor in my SX-64 bit the dust, I planned to use the AMT630A-based cheap LCD monitor to replace it.

I've read the whole thread. Fixing the firmware would be awesome, but I haven't enough knowledge to do that without a step by step guide (I'm not even sure I have the required equipment; I suspect my Genius G540 eprom/flashRom USB programmer isn't appropriate for that).

Would you plan to make something like a "dummy guide" about how to upgrade the firmware? The AMT630A based LCD monitors are possibly the most cheap and common monitors nowadays. My goal is to make it to work with a Commodore SX-64... and afaik there is a lot of people needing to do that, actually. I've read many threads on the web talking about that.

For now, I'm wondering to build the external sync separator. Would a 74LS123 sync separator be enough for that?

I found this schematics:

(please note that there's a mistake,or at least it seems to me: the pin #16 should be connected to Vcc, so the pin marked as #16 should be the pin #6, and the pin marked as #6 should be the pin #7, actually).

I'm a little confused about how to interface it in the video signal line: this circuit seems to me that it's extracting the V-sync from the Composite video signal. But what to do with that? Should I connect to the video composite (H-sync) line and then to the LCD monitor? And how? Directly, or using a capacitor or a resistor (or another circuit)...???

I need some help. Please.

If I can't get the rid of that, the only B-plan I can think about is to convert the C64 composite signal into HDMI (or something like that) and then into composite again. It could work (maybe?) but I'm worried about the loss of video quality... and it won't be cheap.

Giovi

EDIT -------------------------------------------

I found the LCD monitor works with a PAL VIC-20 with the s-video mod. I plugged just the luma signal; the LCD makes a couple of flashes and then the VIC-20 boot image appears (B/W). The original (unmodded) VIC-20 doesn't works.
C64 doesn't work, neither the NTSC, nor the PAL.
nocash

Post by nocash »

That doesn't sound as if you are too skilled on hardware or software hacking. But if you want to go on:
Figure out how to dump your spi flash chip, and then disassemble and analyze your firmware to see what needs to be changed.
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty
giobbi

Post by giobbi »

nocash wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:46 pm That doesn't sound as if you are too skilled on hardware or software hacking. But if you want to go on:
Figure out how to dump your spi flash chip, and then disassemble and analyze your firmware to see what needs to be changed.
Unfortunately I'm not too skilled; for that reason I asked some help here. I like to learn, but of course it's easier when somebody can find some time to teach and help you to improve your skill, especially because exchanging knowledge is the way the world get better and better.
nocash

Post by nocash »

The knowledge is all there, and if you aren't afraid of soldering and asm coding, just start with the spi flash chip dumping, there should be thousands of webpages and datasheets explaining how to do that with various types of hardware. I don't know how I could help there.
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty
giobbi

Post by giobbi »

I wish to say I'm not trying to force you to do anything. Of course everybody has a limited free time available and nobody should pretend anything that could take that time. Mine was just a suggestion.

What I was talking about is that your project - to dump and patch the firmware of this very common LCD - is really awesome and it could be very useful to many people. In example, I found a lot of threads complaining about the AMT630A isn't compatible with Commodore 64 (and possibly other C= computers) but no explanations about how to solve it. Expect for your thread.

When you find somebody that solved "your" problem in such elegant way, of course you would do the same. Before to start, however, the first step is to find a "DIY guide" or at least some instructions that can drive you trough the whole process.

As told, you did an amazing job; and you explained to other people what you did, but your explanation is for skilled people only. What I suggested you is to make a guide (youtube? pdf? instructions here?) to teach people with some soldering skill to flash the firmware with the releases that you patched. This would be awesome.

you are right when you tell the knowledge is out there, but it's quite hard to find the right information that will help you not to mess everything. For somebody who don't know exactly what and how to do, it is really complicated.

I understand maybe you haven't the time or the interest to do that. But it would be great, if only.

cheers,
Giovi