It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:15 pm 

Hey guys, I know it's not nes related but I need to ask a question to those that have opinions and info.

My old v64 blew out its processor. So I am looking at 2 options to replace it.

1. White button v1 system with 256mn ram. Just console and adapter. This will cost me $442 CAD

2. Black button v2 system with 256mn ram, original box and inserts. Come with a n64 and some game discs that I dont need. Cost me $522 CAD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:04 pm 

So, let me try to answer your questions with a few more questions:

1- Is the processor replaceable?
If it's a custom part, probably there's an FPGA clone floating around.

2- Isn't an EverDrive64 a better and cheaper option?
I know that possibly you have good ol' memories by using your trusty Doctor V64 back in the day, but I've read exactly that about the EverDrive64.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:10 am 

The processor is not easily swappable and I cannot find the exact part online or I would try.

And you are correct, perhaps it's just time to say goodbye the v64. I love the value if the system as well but I dont see it retaining that in years to come.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:22 pm 

"blew out its processor" is not very specific.

What exactly is and isn't the unit doing? Is there any video output (including a blank output, just essential sync signaling)? Does the optical drive still have power (open/close at least)? Is the relay still clicking when the unit is turned on? Has the power supply been tested in any manner to ensure it's still working (keeping in mind the fact that the originals are notorious for being failure-prone junk)?

There are at least four processors as far as I remember. The ASIC's exact function was seemingly never replicated, Bung is long gone to provide any info, and to the best of my knowledge NEC (who made that chip for Bung) never published any info about it. The chip can overheat and die. Some units have heatsinks on it (passive cooling, no fan), some don't have a heatsink at all.

There's also a chip for MPEG processing for the VCD support. The display signals may have had to pass through it, I don't recall. Is gets very hot, could fail, and would be difficult but not impossible to replace.

There's a Famicom/NES-on-a-chip processor. That shouldn't be very failure-prone.

I think the last one was a line/text graphics chip. It may have been the last stop in silicon for video signals. I really don't remember well. It doesn't seem likely to be a point of failure. It should be the most easily replaced processor in the unit.

Then of course there's the flash chip with the firmware. If it failed or is corrupt in some way that could make the device seem dead.

Lots of other possibilities of course (other smaller components, possible solder issues, and on and on...)

That's most of what I remember. A place to start maybe? :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:11 am 

N340 wrote:
1. White button v1 system with 256mn ram. Just console and adapter. This will cost me $442 CAD

2. Black button v2 system with 256mn ram, original box and inserts. Come with a n64 and some game discs that I dont need. Cost me $522 CAD

Forgot to comment on those prices. I can't recommend buying at either of those prices. It's extortionate and doesn't represent the value of the devices. I could see legitimate sales going up to around $400 CAD if the accessories and box are included, but if you wait around for an auction or Best Offer without careless/ignorant bidders involved you should be able to get something more barebones for around $200-250, maybe less. Yes, based on Sold listings I've seen there are buyers that come along not concerned about price and just scoop one up well above the real value. If you decide to buy another one with possible resale in mind it's worthwhile to keep all of that in mind. I have no clue if the value will go up or down in the future, but it has risen since a few years ago when $150-200 CAD was quite common.

v1 units have some kinks like physical compatibility problems with some N64 models. You can play the console lottery until you get one it plays well with or you can make sure to use a gray/"black" interface between the V64 and console from another unit.