Reverse Engineering DEFENDER (Arcade, 1980) live on Twitch

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Reverse Engineering DEFENDER (Arcade, 1980) live on Twitch

Post by 3gengames » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Hey NESDevers:

After disassembling Duck Hunt, I rewrote my tool to work on more platforms and processors and be more expandable, and I'm now going to disassemble Defender by Williams Electronics Inc. If you're interested in the code, here is the github where the code will be deposited. Here is a link to my Twitch, my username is LinguinePenguiny, and I will be disassembling every line live on stream, while explaining it if I have people watching. I'll be available for commentary, help, and teaching, BSing, anything!

I also won't disassemble anything if not streaming with Defender, unlike Duck Hunt where I did some off stream to prevent boredom, but missed a bunch of cool/large findings.

I'm going to start streaming here in an hour or two from this post, and will be starting from the beginning, so come on in and watch/chat if you want. I'll happily teach you guys 6809 asm, it's very similar to 6502, but much more flexible/easier to program, you'll really enjoy the 6809.

Thanks for reading!

dink

Re: Reverse Engineering DEFENDER (Arcade, 1980) live on Twitch

Post by dink » Fri May 01, 2020 8:31 pm

drat, I missed it :(

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Mon May 04, 2020 2:54 pm

dink wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:31 pm
drat, I missed it :(
Haha, follow me, I'm only through like 1% of the games code so far. I'll be doing many more streams! Also, you can follow the github of the source I'm making if you wanna see some code comments and whatnot if you miss the stream. :)

For now I'm trying to get together an intro for a youtube channel where after I'm done reverse engineering the games, I go over everything in general detail, pointing things out in the code and whatnot. There will be more streams probably going again next week, but maybe sooner. Making my youtube intro is going extremely slow. I'm doing an NES game opening up and zooming into it, in 3D, and the 3D modeling is taking ages as I'm learning FreeCAD, too. I might get frustrated and start streaming again before finishing up the youtube stuff.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Bumping this. Made some good progress, you guys might wanna check it out. Also gonna stream the next few hours if you guys wanna watch.