I guess I'll post something...(first post in!)

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
tomaitheous

Post by tomaitheous »

Hamtaro126 wrote:
tomaitheous wrote:Hamtaro126L: I'm still confused. What is it about PCEAS that prevents you from using it? Or liking it?
Well the Syntax is not that good right now, if I use your PCEAS:

the BANK problem is not fixed, it is still in the 8k limit, at least for source files!

Opcode B4 (LDY NameofLabel,X) is not availible? Wow!

NESASM v3.1 fixed these issues, so maybe a new version of your PCEAS can implent these?

Even then, Macros are hard to come by for this. so maybe making sure there is a new macro library for PCEAS soon, so maybe it can be more easier for homebrewers or hackers to implent thier NES games/hacks to PCE, or even thier own PCE homebrews!
Opcode $B4 assembles just fine.

I think you're just not familiar enough PCEAS. All ZP addressing modes that are not indirect, need the "<" operator preceding the address or label. LDY <label,x or LDY <$00,x etc. The only time you don't need it, is when you use an indirect mode. lda [label] or lda [$00]. If you're not using the < operator, then you're not using a ZP addressing mode for that instruction, irregardless if the label was defined in the .ZP area too.

The problem with bank issue with PCEAS isn't that you can't write more than 8k of code, it's that it errors out if an opcode crosses a page boundary. If you're writing code from scratch, it's pretty easy to fix/over come. But yeah, if you're porting code then it can be a potential pain in the ass. And that only applies to code, not a problem with data. But the new PCEAS source and binary I release/posted fixes this:

http://www.pcedev.net/pceas/bin/pceas_w32_07_10_2011.7z
http://www.pcedev.net/pceas/src/PCEAS_src_07_10_2011.7z

Like I mentioned in the other thread, it has some new directives as well.

The high level logic in PCEAS is pretty good IMO. Any kind of high level math that any other good assembler has support for. The MACRO support in PCEAS is top notch too. I've seen too many assemblers with poor or lacking macro support. No good.

I guess I should do a real manual for PCEAS, since there really isn't anything out there for it. It took me a while to figure out how to use SIZEOF() correctly.
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

tomaitheous wrote: Opcode $B4 assembles just fine.

I think you're just not familiar enough PCEAS. All ZP addressing modes that are not indirect, need the "<" operator preceding the address or label. LDY <label,x or LDY <$00,x etc. The only time you don't need it, is when you use an indirect mode. lda [label] or lda [$00]. If you're not using the < operator, then you're not using a ZP addressing mode for that instruction, irregardless if the label was defined in the .ZP area too.

The problem with bank issue with PCEAS isn't that you can't write more than 8k of code, it's that it errors out if an opcode crosses a page boundary. If you're writing code from scratch, it's pretty easy to fix/over come. But yeah, if you're porting code then it can be a potential pain in the ass. And that only applies to code, not a problem with data. But the new PCEAS source and binary I release/posted fixes this:

http://www.pcedev.net/pceas/bin/pceas_w32_07_10_2011.7z
http://www.pcedev.net/pceas/src/PCEAS_src_07_10_2011.7z

Like I mentioned in the other thread, it has some new directives as well.

The high level logic in PCEAS is pretty good IMO. Any kind of high level math that any other good assembler has support for. The MACRO support in PCEAS is top notch too. I've seen too many assemblers with poor or lacking macro support. No good.

I guess I should do a real manual for PCEAS, since there really isn't anything out there for it. It took me a while to figure out how to use SIZEOF() correctly.
Okay, I will try the port again from scratch.
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.