Megaman 4 minus infinity on Real Hardware wiring questions

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Mbumstead

Megaman 4 minus infinity on Real Hardware wiring questions

Post by Mbumstead »

Hello there. My first post. Ill introduce myself first. My name is marc and I have been a very longtime lurker. I Use this board for alot of different projects and a BIG thanks to everyone here for helping me through some hard times with my projects.

Anyway, to the topic at hand.

I'm trying to build myself a megaman4 minus infinity cart using a ETROM BOARD and have been having some troubles. I don't know if the jumper wires are the same on an mmc5 cart as they are on a mmc3 cart

Eg.

PRG

Pin 24 to hole 16
Pin 2 to hole 24
Pin 30 to hole 1
Pin 32 to hole 2

Also , this game requires me to install a SRAM chip in place of the CHR. I am using a Hyundai HY6264ALP-10 that I took off of a TKROM board.

The wiring I have on that , an again I don't think this is right , is ...

Pin 27 to nes connector 47
Pins 26 and 28 to hole 32
Pin 24 to hole 31

Now , the game doesn't work so I know I messed something up. Maybe everything. I can wire up any mmc3 game with no problems. But when replacing the CHR with SRAM I get lost.

I would appreciate any advice I can get here.

THANKS
gorgyrip

Re: Megaman 4 minus infinity on Real Hardware wiring questio

Post by gorgyrip »

Here's how i do it (tested on mmc1 and mmc3) I don't know about mmc5. Taken fron here: http://nesdev.com/NES%20EPROM%20Conversions.txt
CHR RAM conversion:
Seat the RAM chip 2 pins back (pin 1 of RAM is pin 3 of socket)
cut track to hole 3, 22, 24, 28 and 29
Solder pin 1 to hole 30 (+5V)
Solder pin 20 to hole 31 (CE or CHR /A13)
Solder pin 22 to hole 2 (OE or CHR /RD)
Solder pin 26 to 5v
Solder pin 27 to NES pin 56 (CHR /WR), you will probably need to glue in the missing tab on the PC board that goes into the NES, I used a thin piece of metal and super glued it, then sanded it with fine sand paper
Mbumstead

Post by Mbumstead »

That is exactly right , thank you.

I actually had two problems. I didn't have pin 31 jumped to hole 1 on the PRG. And then I had pin 27 of the SRAM wired to NES connector 47 , NOT 56 as it should have been.

So , after a Long night of little oversights I finally have it working. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Lincoln , the creator of the NES rom splitter "Famirom" was the one who got me the correct wiring on the PRG.

So , for anyone who wants to make a cart of megaman 4 minus infinity for themselves here is the correct way to do it.

PRG - (27c801 eprom)

Pin 1 to hole 30
Pin 30 to hole 1
Pin 31 to hole 2
Pin 2 to hole 24
Pin 24 to hole 31

chr-ram

set pin 1 in hole 3 (number pins on the chip and holes on the board)
pin 22 -> hole 31
pin 26-> hole 32
pin 27 -> cart edge pin 56, should be connected to via hole nearby you can wire to
pin 28 -> hole 32

Put the PRG in first. The game should work but the graphics will be all jumbled up. Once that is confirmed then move on to the CHR RAM.

I hope this helps someone out here.
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

I was trying to gather some information about this hack as well.

The one thing i'm unsure of is that in the CHR Ram conversion you need to connect to the NES carts pin 56. But it seems for the ETROM boards there is no 56th pin (They have the 5 pin gap in the middle).

Is he using the famicom cart?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Nintendo left the expansion pins and probably the adjacent PPU /WR pin off later boards to pinch pennies. You'll have to find some way to add the pin back.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

guitarzombie wrote:But it seems for the ETROM boards there is no 56th pin (They have the 5 pin gap in the middle).
Hah, this is why CHR-ROM to CHR-RAM conversions aren't simple! Maybe you could carve some room for the pin and super-glue a piece of metal there.
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

I see.

I wasn't exactly sure because I know how to do the famicom ones but I have seen (and read) people do it on an NES cart using ETROM boards. Thought it might have been a more simple fit with that CHR ROM/RAM conversion. Ill do some more research, thanks!
Mbumstead

Post by Mbumstead »

I used a ETROM-01 from the game uncharted waters. Nth is board DOES have the 56th pin and a little hole about 1/4" above it to wire to.
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

Hey guys. I posted this on romhackings site but haven't gotten a response yet. I made myself a cart of this yesterday and it works great! Except for one tiny thing I can't figure out. Every time you go into the weapons menu and hit 'b' for help, the games text gets all weird and screwy, the screen looks like it refreshes a lot and the game freezes. I can't figure out if its just the nes not handling it properly or if something on the board is touching or whatever.

Other than that I played it for about an hr and had no other problems.

BTW I used the above wiring except for one modification. I used the same wire to solder 26 and 28 and the other end of the wire straight to 32 for the CHR RAM conversion. Could THAT be it? OR could it be that I didn't wire directly to the 56th pin? I wired pin 27 straight to that hole thats wired to 56.
gorgyrip

Post by gorgyrip »

There's another version of the patch that eliminates that glitch:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg219803
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

Oh nice. I thought the one I had was already patched and on top of that, i thought that controller patch was independent to my problem. Thanks!

EDIT. It looks like I had already dl'ed the patch but never applied it. The name of it is something like "120916_R4MI001_FixControllerGlitch(tentative).ips" Erasing my rom now and hopefully i can put this sucker back in!
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

Still have the same problem. It doesnt seem to go as bad quickly but still messed up. Actually to be more specific the game doesn't freeze. The music still plays but the graphics get all jumbled. I can get out of that screen but if i move to another it'll mess up worse and lock.
guitarzombie

Post by guitarzombie »

EUREKA!

I'm posting this just in case anyone else has the same problems. Turns out you need to erase the SRAM by shorting the battery.

When I did it, it didn't work immediately but, like as in the first time my cart worked, Special Mode was unlocked. When I entered it and exited it said there was an error and to reboot. When I did the game worked perfectly for me. I was now able to switch between Japanese and English in the main menu and the glitchy menu disappeared. WHEW. I loved this game and it bothered me so much it didnt work 100%. I want to thank a user on the Rom Hacking board for letting me know about this, instead of programming the menu out of the game.