It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:15 am 

Heya, I'm trying to flash Megaman 5 to a 512/256 TKROM INL board. I can flash it no problem, but when I load it up in my NES, I get one of 3 things

Black garbled screen
Green garbled screen
Black screen

However, the rom will load correctly when I press the reset button on my console. Why is that? I haven't had this issue with other roms and i've tried both the USA and PAL roms. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:04 am 

That issue typically means the game is accessing the PPU before it's fully warmed up.. That doesn't make sense if it's an original unmodified rom though.. Is the rom original or does it happen to be hacked in any way? Do other games have similar issues?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:07 am 

infiniteneslives wrote:
That issue typically means the game is accessing the PPU before it's fully warmed up.. That doesn't make sense if it's an original unmodified rom though.. Is the rom original or does it happen to be hacked in any way? Do other games have similar issues?

Nope, only game it's happened with, original untouched rom. I meant to source one from a different site but figured trying the euro rom was good enough. I'll try again tonight with a rom from elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:11 am 

Oh it's a PAL rom playing on a NTSC NES? PAL runs faster than NTSC, so the slight timing difference could very well be causing the issue you're seeing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:13 am 

infiniteneslives wrote:
Oh it's a PAL rom playing on a NTSC NES? PAL runs faster than NTSC, so the slight timing difference could very well be causing the issue you're seeing.

Nope, you misunderstood sorry. I initially tried the normal USA NTSC rom, and it did the whole deal I mentioned in the OP. Thinking it was a bad rom file, I then tried the PAL rom of Megaman 5 from the same site and it did the same thing. That led me to believe it's an issue with Megaman 5, but tonight I will source a USA NTSC rom from elsewhere and see if that works.

On a similar note, I did flash one of your boards with Super Turrican, which is a PAL only game, and it works great.

I'm Pat.L.Forrester@gmail.com btw, we've been in contact on and off via your ticket system. I've got one open atm for the 8MB SNES board issues I'm having (not nagging you to look at that lol just introducing myself)