It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:57 am 

Hi everyone, I just got into this and am having some difficulty. I have had some success making Genesis / MD games, but still not 100% of the time.. But I haven't been able to make a working NES game yet.

Actually I am in Japan and am using Famicom hardware, but I assume it should be the same.

I have a HVC-SLROM-02 PCB some M27c512 EPROMs. I tried programming R.C. Pro-Am to it and it doesn't work. I have tried using the M27c512 EPROMS to make a couple of diffrent games without success. All I get is a blue screen, which leads me to think the EPROMS aren't wired correctly to the board.

I rewired the CHR PROM CE and OE lines which seemed to be the only pins that would be incorrect according to the pinouts of chips on the NesDev Wiki.

I have another board ready to use, its an HVC-SNROM

I guess the most useful thing I could use would be a pinout for these boards..

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:03 am 

mikek400 wrote:
I have a HVC-SLROM-02 PCB some M27c512 EPROMs. I tried programming R.C. Pro-Am to it and it doesn't work.

Which version of R.C. Pro-Am are you using? How are you preparing the data before you write it to the EPROMs?

mikek400 wrote:
I rewired the CHR PROM CE and OE lines which seemed to be the only pins that would be incorrect according to the pinouts of chips on the NesDev Wiki.

That doesn't sound right. You need to lift /OE and connect it to ground for both PRG and CHR, but you don't need to do anything with /CE for either.

Since SLROM is not 100% compatible with SEROM, you might also need to lift PRG A14 and connect it to CPU A14. This depends on the game; I don't know which (if any) games care about the difference between SLROM and SEROM.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:33 am 

Thank you Joe. I got it figured out.

Found this document.
http://nesdev.com/NES%20EPROM%20Conversions.txt

I got the wiring for the CHR EPROM correct by using DMM and FC card edge pinout. But I didn't have the PRG EPROMs OE to GND. That was the problem!