It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:28 pm 

So, I'm trying to burn Seiken Densetsu 3 to a snes flash board from INL using the Kazzo. I'm pretty sure I've done everything correctly so far but I'm lost at the actual burning part. Maybe even INL himself will chime in here.

To be specific, I'm burning a Seiken Densetsu 3 rom that has been pretty heavily modified- first it's in english (also title logo graphics converted to read 'Seiken Densetsu 3' instead of Japanese script), it has the 3-player patch, and lastly it also has the Hardtype patch and 'easy mode' difficulty patch that I got from here. (server may time out, just wait a little. They're having trouble lately.)

Here's what I've done so far, tell me if I'm wrong:
1) Checked Datacrystal to verify the size of my Seiken english rom
2) Patched rom for hardtype, easy mode, 3 player, bonus bossfight in that order (read to do it that way from the romhacker Praetarius on ID). As documented in the Hardtype readme, the hardtype patch enlarged the size of the rom.
3) Size of final rom is 6,291,456 bytes (according to file properties on Windows 7. Runs in ZSNES and Higan without any obvious glitches.
4) Purchased a flash board of the next size up (8 MB)
5) Purchased Kazzo
6) Installed Kazzo drivers. Kazzo software's Test button yields 'Test OK'.
BEGIN CONFUSION
7) Used LunarExpand to make the rom 8MB large. Rom no longer runs in ZSNES, still works in Higan.
8) Loaded rom into SnesUtil and clicked the Swap Bin button. Produces 8 files of 1MB each (1,048,576 bytes according to file properties).
9) Kazzo switch in the RUN position.
10) Put the board into the kazzo (chips facing cord, all the way to the side with the arrow), erased board using 'header' file ERASE_SNES.bin.
11) Loaded sd3_hardtype_easymode_3p_bonus_01.bin, file type '1MB SNES', write. Verify Ok. Load sd3..._bonus_02.bin, write. Load sd3..._bonus_03.bin, write, etc up to _08.bin and write.
12) Flash board switch to 'Hi' for HiRom.
Plop it into a cartridge, jam it into the snes, hit the power, screen is black. Try legitimate Secret of Mana cartridge, works fine. Try flashboard again, nothing. ...try blowing on it? Still nothing....

So... where did I go wrong...?

Last edited by Guilty on Sat May 14, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:32 am 

6MB roms are a little tricky to arrange properly because of the backwardsness of SNES rom format with the higher bank first.

Have to take the last 2MB of your 6MB file, double it and place it as first 4MB in new file. Then take first 4MB of the 6MB file and append it to the end of your new file and flash

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10088&start=75#p122336

Feel free to email me or submit a ticket on my support page with the rom and I'll give it a try myself.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:46 am 

infiniteneslives wrote:
6MB roms are a little tricky to arrange properly because of the backwardsness of SNES rom format with the higher bank first.

Have to take the last 2MB of your 6MB file, double it and place it as first 4MB in new file. Then take first 4MB of the 6MB file and append it to the end of your new file and flash

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10088&start=75#p122336

Feel free to email me or submit a ticket on my support page with the rom and I'll give it a try myself.

Oh that's good to hear. Now, when you talk about doubling the last 2MB and placing it as the first 4MB in the new file, does that apply to the .sfc headered rom? Or does that apply to the .bin files resulting from the Swap Bin button in SnesUtil? Assuming it's the .bin files, I understand that I'd need to:
Swap bin the .sfc file (6 files created as a result)
Take _05.bin and write it
Take _06.bin and write it
Take _01.bin and write it,
Take _02.bin and write it,
Take _03.bin and write it,
Take _04.bin and write it.
Each file being written as a 1MB Snes file to the flashboard. This is correct? (I'll try it later today)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:05 am 

The snes header is only used for emulators to determine the board config. So the header should never be flashed onto a board that's meant to play in a SNES. If you're attemting to use Danin's firmware/app I believe his removes the header for you, it might even handle the 6MB on 8MB board arranging, I'm not sure. But with my firmware and app what you flash is what gets burned exactly.

You've got the idea with the arrangement of those 6 partitions. The thing is though, the app/firmware always starts programming at the lowest address of the flash rom. So you can't flash the 8x 1MB files separately, as you'd be trying to program the first 1MB of the board 8 times, the last 7MB would never get programmed. You'll need to arrange those files into one big 8MB file and program them in one shot. I use a hexeditor like HxD to arrange rom segments, if you can copy paste in notepad, you can use a hex editor.

Open all 6x 1MB segments in the hexeditor, create a new blank file which will be your final binary image to flash onto the board. In the order you've described, go to the 1MB file, clt-A clt-C (select all, copy), go to new final file, place cursor at end of file, and clt-V (paste), and repeat. Until you've got all segments arranged into a 8MB binary file to flash to the board.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:08 pm 

Guilty wrote:
Oh that's good to hear. Now, when you talk about doubling the last 2MB and placing it as the first 4MB in the new file, does that apply to the .sfc headered rom? Or does that apply to the .bin files resulting from the Swap Bin button in SnesUtil? Assuming it's the .bin files, I understand that I'd need to:
Swap bin the .sfc file (6 files created as a result)
Take _01.bin and write it,
Take _02.bin and write it,
Take _03.bin and write it,
Take _04.bin and write it.
Each file being written as a 1MB Snes file to the flashboard. This is correct? (I'll try it later today)

Don't use Swap bin when using the INL boards. Swap bin is meant for burning your game to 27C801 EPROM chips, and shouldn't be used for any other reason. If you've been using that for your ROM file before programming with the Kazzo that would explain why it doesn't work for sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:18 pm 

getafixx wrote:
Don't use Swap bin when using the INL boards. Swap bin is meant for burning your game to 27C801 EPROM chips, and shouldn't be used for any other reason. If you've been using that for your ROM file before programming with the Kazzo that would explain why it doesn't work for sure.

Well dang, that would do it! Now I've got it playing! The opening jingle has never sounded so majestic!
So, if anyone stumbles across this thread in a google search in the year 20XX:

1) Take the ROM
2) Remove its header (I used NSRT)
4) Split it into six files of 1MB each using HxD
5) Order the files in the order I mentioned above using the procedure that INL mentioned above
6) Flash it, yo

EDIT: This failed for some reason. It boots yes but the game has very, very slight glitches just about everywhere, for instance the camera moves a bit too far in every direction and is never centered. Doing it over.

EDIT 2: Rebuilt the 8MB file from the same 6 1MB files and got the same result: glitchfest. Repatched the rom all the way back from the english translation, created 6 new 1MB files, built a new 8MB files, erased+flashed board, same result. Tried building an 8MB file from 4 1MB files from an unpatched (English) rom, and that worked just fine. Something is going wrong with my 6MB process.
I should make sure I'm doing this right: 6MB unheadered rom, split into 6 files of 1MB each, combine into one file using part 5, 6, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4. Flash all 8MB to board.
...should it be a different order?

EDIT 3: ATTN 20XX: This method works perfectly, assuming your rom works on real hardware. Test the rom in higan-accuracy, at least. Future googlers should use this post for instructions.

Last edited by Guilty on Sat May 14, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:53 am 

Guilty wrote:
Tried building an 8MB file from 4 1MB files from an unpatched (English) rom, and that worked just fine. Something is going wrong with my 6MB process.

Or something with the hack is causing problems with playing on real hardware. Has this hack(s) been confirmed to work well with real hardware via some other means?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:18 am 

No sir, I don't find anything to that effect... Which makes me pretty sad. That's so strange. It plays nice with Hogan and everything... Well, I guess we'll be playing the backless version. Unless someone else can confirm it working. I'll double check on Insane Difficulty as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:47 am 

If you're splitting a 48 Mbit ExHiROM into eight 1048576-byte chunks and flashing it to a 64 Mbit board that expects data to be ordered with banks $40-$7F followed by $C0-$FF, the order 5, 6, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4 should be correct. But make sure the switch is in the HiROM position, and start with a ROM that's 2^20*6 = 6291456 bytes in size. If your ROM is 2^20*6+512 = 6291968 bytes, the first 512 bytes are probably a header for an obsolete floppy disk-based copier.

Have you tried making the 48 Mbit ExHiROM in the Holy Striker Batman test ROM pack? If so, what does it say on the screen when you run it?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:44 am 

tepples wrote:
what does it say on the screen when you run it?

Word for word from my CRT:

Holy Striker Batman
Copr. 2015 Damian Yerrick

Basic Mapping Test
008=081 400=080 408=081
018=083 410=082 418=083
028=085 420=084 428=085
038=087 430=086 438=087
808=001 C00=000 C08=001
818=003 C10=002 C18=003
828=005 C20=004 C28=005
838=007 C30=006 C38=007

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:32 am 

Thank you. This confirms that 1. the switch is in HiROM position, and 2. you put at least some of the pieces in the right place: 5, x, x, x, 1, x, x, x. Currently the test ROM is not thorough enough because with other projects going on, I haven't had time to improve it.

The next question is whether the ROM works on hardware at all. A lot of ROM hacks run on emulators but not on hardware because they rely on the absence of a hardware quirk that the emulator fails to emulate. Do you have any other flash solution with which to test the ROM on your Super NES, such as the SNES PowerPak, Super EverDrive, or sd2snes?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:03 am 

tepples wrote:
Do you have any other flash solution with which to test the ROM on your Super NES, such as the SNES PowerPak, Super EverDrive, or sd2snes?

No sir, I don't. However...

I have it working! Turns out, the hack was indeed at fault. I contacted the hacker himself, and he promptly informed me 'Whoops, that's a new bug. Use this patch instead.'

And it works perfectly!

Thanks so much to the group effort helping me along here.