Rockman X2 with DIP36toTSOP40 mkiii and wires...

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
rocklite

Rockman X2 with DIP36toTSOP40 mkiii and wires...

Post by rocklite »

Cannot for life of me seem to get X2 board to work with 29f033c chips with wires and those buyicnow boards. My goal is to have X2 with a "start with armor" game genie patch and i think im very close. I have almost exhausted myself researching this as most of the info i can find people are trying to put together a megaman x2 and x3 board using retrostage super fx converters. I am presuming these boards are just a cleaner and easier option as they all seem to have the same address(?).

I have attempted to get this going by populating both slots on the board with a 27c801 and a 27c101 (1mb + 512kb) and two 27c801 (1mb + 1mb [mirrored?]) and a 29f033c chip as well with some results...

I normally play this patched rom via the superufo pro 8 with my Rockman X2 in the top and every "experiment" ive tried gives me different results. I like to use the superufo's "play cart" option for all my repros as it gives the message "no cartridge" when my soldering is bad.

With the 27c801 it seems to boot but the graphics freeze as a garbled mess of sprites replacing x riding the bike appears and promptly locks up.

I finally got the 29f033c to read as a cart through the super ufo but it locks up DIRECTLY as the capcom logo dissapears. I read that byuu said to patch the rom by changing address #$01 to #$00 but ive no idea how to do that.

The messed up sprites could also be board damage i suppose. Anyone else have any luck with this board? Ideally I would die to have it be x2 & X3 but i have no clue what an "and" gate is or how to wire it up...
Ice Man

Re: Rockman X2 with DIP36toTSOP40 mkiii and wires...

Post by Ice Man »

In order to start Rockman X2 with just one MaskROM instead of 2 either works by hacking the game OR connecting your 29F033 /CE to GND and A21 of 29F033 to the /CE pad on MaskROM0 to control lower and upper bits.
rocklite

Re: Rockman X2 with DIP36toTSOP40 mkiii and wires...

Post by rocklite »

Sweet lord I finally got it... (About 500 points of soldering later...) Rockman X2 with my patch is now running beautifully. Wired up /ce from chip to gnd on board. send /ce from board to a20 and then tie a21, vcc, and a22 to gnd. did not add mirroring. voila.

Update: Mirrored last 512kb to make rom 2mb then merged with rockman x3 and added a switch. Just took gnd off a22 and connected to vcc to run x3 on lower half of chip. Kept the switch inside until i can get a reset counter chip...

oh btw on another note i also found a "new project zero 3" rom that works on copiers. Its 4mb so i cant use it with this project but i would like people to know about it as i thought project zero didnt run on copiers! One noticeable difference is that it does not say 2015 or whatever at the beginning...