[SOLVED]Family Basic Cartridge Repro, need help

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Haruka

[SOLVED]Family Basic Cartridge Repro, need help

Post by Haruka »

I'm trying to make a Family Basic Cartridge Reproduction. Recently I've done some lessons and prepared some parts and chips for this work. Before I start, I want to make sure that my direction will not lead me to a dead end:

I have 2 AT29C256 flash chips. Is it possible to use them as PRG/CHR roms and program them using Kazzo? There is no configration for this chip in Kazzo's software, but I wonder maybe it can be implemented according to this article?

If this chip is OK then I'll continue to make the pcb and try to do soldering work and finally the chip programming.

I'm eagerly waiting for you guys' advices. Thank you!
Last edited by Haruka on Mon May 21, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lidnariq

Re: Family Basic Cartridge Repro, need help

Post by lidnariq »

Family BASIC is just NROM plus battery-backed RAM; you should be able to use the Kazzo to program flash on NROM.
Haruka

Post by Haruka »

Thank you for your reply, lidnariq. I know it is an NROM with PRG RAM.
I've read the documents of Kazzo and learned something on how to choose flash chips. It seems AM29F040 is the best choice, which benifits from its Command Address Width and something else. However I don't have this chip, neither do I have any kind metioned in the document.
I only have AT29C256. The capacity is 32KB, suitable for NROM with little waste.
Well, the most important thing is that I don't know whether this chip is supported by Kazzo. I want to ask if you guys had ever used this chip could you please tell me whether it can be programmed like other recommended flash?
Haruka

Post by Haruka »

Problem solved. AT29C256 worked like a charm.