Metal Slader Glory repro [solved]

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
decoder_82

Metal Slader Glory repro [solved]

Post by decoder_82 »

Hello everyone,

I am trying to build a translated repro of Metal Slader Glory.

As donor I am using Gun Sight.

Here what I have done so far in terms of wiring.

CHR - 27C040 Chip
=================
socket 1 to A17
socket 2 to A18
Socket 24 to A16
Socket 30 Unconnected (no A19 on 27C040)
Socket 31 to CE

PRG -27C080 Chip
=================
socket 1 to A17
socket 2 to A18
Socket 24 to A16
Socket 30 to A19
Socket 31 to CE

For both PRG and CHR:
- socket 22 is left unconnected
- EPROM 24 is left unconnected

When try the game, music is there but graphics are all messed-up.
All connections have been checked and are OK.
The cart was perfectly working before the mod.

Any idea what I could do to troubleshoot ?

Thank you !
Last edited by decoder_82 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankWDoom

Re: Metal Slader Glory repro

Post by FrankWDoom »

Eprom pin 22 leave down and pin 24 wire to hole 31. Everything looks ok i think
decoder_82

Re: Metal Slader Glory repro

Post by decoder_82 »

Many thanks ! I have changed the wiring as suggested and it works perfectly now !
the_wizard_666

Re: Metal Slader Glory repro [solved]

Post by the_wizard_666 »

Hey, I'm sorry to dig this up from the dead, but I figured it'd be more relevant to post here than a new thread. I'm planning to make almost the same thing, except I'll be using Laser Invasion as a donor instead of Gun Sight. I'm assuming the ROMs will be wired the same, so that's not the issue. I'm just wondering what pins (if any) I'll need to connect for the expansion audio to work on a US system. I already did the audio mod on my console, I just want to make sure whether I need to do anything at the cart level as well. Thanks :)
FrankWDoom

Post by FrankWDoom »

It depends what exp port pins you connected for the audio mod but typically its done for pin 54 on the cart. Laser Invasion has this pin already, you only need to populate the missing resistors on the board to get audio out.
the_wizard_666

Post by the_wizard_666 »

FrankWDoom wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:42 pm It depends what exp port pins you connected for the audio mod but typically its done for pin 54 on the cart. Laser Invasion has this pin already, you only need to populate the missing resistors on the board to get audio out.
So looking at the board, I see what I presume is the area that needs the resistors, as well as capacitors. The resistors are labelled as R1, R2, R4, and R9, if I'm looking at the right spots. The first two appear to need 15K resistors, and the other two need 10K ones. You wouldn't happen to know offhand which ones need to be populated in order to enable the audio? It appears to be the R4 and R9 ones after following the traces, but it never hurts to ask :P Also, will the capacitors be needed too, or just the resistors?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

the_wizard_666

Post by the_wizard_666 »

lidnariq wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:11 pm See nesdevwiki:ExROM
Okay, so all of them need to be populated. Thanks. I had actually seen that page already, I just missed that when I was going over it. Hell, I almost missed it again when I was actively looking for it.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Would it help if I broke it out into another heading? Or any other edits that would make it clearer?
the_wizard_666

Post by the_wizard_666 »

Oh no, it's not that. I just have a hard time reading technical writing. Too many concussions methinks, because when someone explains it verbally I have no issues. Once I know what I'm looking at it's fine, it's just figuring that out. That's why I tend to ask on the forums - it's just easier on the brain in the long run.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Everyone thinks differently. Some people learn best hands-on, some with visual aids, and others can work well from spoken words. (I'm very much not in that last category). But please do give it a little thought and see if you come up with an idea for how to make things more approachable for you: it's not useful for me to point to the right page on the wiki if the recipient doesn't understand what's written there.
the_wizard_666

Post by the_wizard_666 »

lidnariq wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:14 pm Everyone thinks differently. Some people learn best hands-on, some with visual aids, and others can work well from spoken words. (I'm very much not in that last category). But please do give it a little thought and see if you come up with an idea for how to make things more approachable for you: it's not useful for me to point to the right page on the wiki if the recipient doesn't understand what's written there.
I think the easiest way would be to point to it, but also maybe explain where the relevant info is on the page, and what the actual answer is. For someone like me, it's frustrating to just see the link and not be able to figure out what is relevant to the problem at hand. But by the same token, it pushes me to look closer, or ask more questions, so it's not that big of an issue for me in particular...but the next guy with the same problem may not be as persistent either. This isn't meant as criticism or anything, as I don't interpret it as anything more than "here's the information," but it's easy to misinterpret the poster's intentions as well. Giving a link with nothing else could be seen that way, or it could be seen as "Not this again...here damnit!" So yeah, the page is okay, just maybe a bit more info to go along with it so you give the reader the intended impression. And believe me, with the stuff I'm a pro in, I have a habit of rolling my eyes at the newbies sometimes, so I do get that there's probably a bit of tedium to it as well. I don't know if I'm exactly explaining this right either...sometimes I ramble, and too many words can distort things as well. I do appreciate the help though, especially in light of how often you've probably answered the exact same question over the years :)
the_wizard_666

Post by the_wizard_666 »

So I got everything working great, except for one small issue - the game won't display text, outside of the title screen. The attract mode doesn't display the text, nor does gameplay. Would this be a PRG or CHR issue? Where would I begin to look to troubleshoot this? Everything else works fine, and I've triple checked the wiring. Any ideas?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

I'm hard pressed to see how could be anything other than CHR, but I'm not entirely clear how this would happen either.