Using the INL device to dump SNES carts then flash ROM hacks of them

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
RexFesto696

Using the INL device to dump SNES carts then flash ROM hacks of them

Post by RexFesto696 »

Hello.

I'm thinking about buying the INL retro dumper/programmer. I wanna successfully dump the SNES versions of Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3 (Ultimate) for backup purposes. Then I wanna add simple hacks to each ROM (adding blood to MK1, fixing Johnny Cage's 1P/2P palettes in MK2, and adding more music to UMK3) and flash the hacked ROMs to INL's SNES carts so I can play them on my real SNES systems. No piracy, this is for my own personal enjoyment.

How would I go about doing this? I'd like to know how to work the thing before I buy it...
RexFesto696

Re: Using the INL device to dump SNES carts then flash ROM hacks of them

Post by RexFesto696 »

Sorry to sound rude, but it's been over two months now and I haven't even gotten one response to this thread! I really wanna buy this thing, but what's the point if I don't know for sure whether it will work for me or not and no one will tell me how to use it? Can you people PLEASE help me with this?
RexFesto696

Post by RexFesto696 »

I've been very patient up until now. Four months now and no one here will help me out.

RANT DELETED
Last edited by RexFesto696 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I have dumped the firmware of my Super Game Boy accessory (a 2 Mbit LoROM) using my INL-Retro.
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

I only just got an INL dumper recently, but I think you should be able to dump those with no problem, using a command such as: inlretro.exe -s scripts/inlretro2.lua -c SNES -d "path/to/file". You may need to specify hirom or lorom (e.g. -m hirom), but it might be able to do it automatically. For some obscure stuff I've been trying to dump, I've had to modify the scripts, which is reasonably easy to do if you have basic knowledge of Lua, but the common carts I've tried have worked without issue, so I doubt you'd need to do this. infiniteneslives has been happy to help out when I've encountered issues, as well. I assume this device can flash the INL cartridges just fine and I see it has commands for this, but I haven't used it for this purpose.

The software and a readme explaining usage are available here: https://gitlab.com/InfiniteNesLives/INL ... -AND-LATER. When you run inlretro.exe, you can see the flags and their explanations by passing it the -h flag.

For what it's worth, I don't recommend posting in the way that you have. Sometimes threads don't get replies, maybe because not many people know how to answer your question or the people with the knowledge to help you don't see the thread. You might also consider if the forum you chose is the right place; I'd have put this in Hardware and Flash Equipment, and I suspect this Reproduction forum gets less traffic than other places. I think bumping the thread is fine, but getting angry and demanding help is not and made me strongly consider not replying to you. We're hobbyists and aren't obligated to provide help.
RexFesto696

Post by RexFesto696 »

@Fiskbit: Thank You for replying, and sorry about my outburst. It's just that the thread went almost four entire months with no response, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. I didn't think about posting this in Hardware/Flash Equipment, sorry about that. It was because I was talking about flash carts that I thought this would be the right place to post this.

But once again, Thank You Very Much for giving me what I needed. Now I'm willing to buy the INL and try it out...