Using non CMOS eproms on NES Carts

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
BokuNES

Using non CMOS eproms on NES Carts

Post by BokuNES »

hi to all, well...just whats the title said, it is posible to make nes repros with non cmos eproms, i used a 27128a to make a battle city repro and it didint work, so, its the chips type a problem???
lidnariq

Re: Using non CMOS eproms on NES Carts

Post by lidnariq »

No, the NES uses 5VTTL signalling, that should be fine.

If your programmer verifies that you've programmed it correctly, it may be too slow to work in the NES, or you may have a wiring mistake.
BokuNES

Post by BokuNES »

lidnariq wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:40 pm No, the NES uses 5VTTL signalling, that should be fine.

If your programmer verifies that you've programmed it correctly, it may be too slow to work in the NES, or you may have a wiring mistake.
i think that maybe is a writing problem, i follow this http://nesdev.com/NES%20EPROM%20Conversions.txt

that link says that for nrom borads there is no lifting pins to make, so, i solder the eprom directly onto the board, maybe thats the problem???
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

What donor PCB are you using?
BokuNES

Post by BokuNES »

lidnariq wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:01 pm What donor PCB are you using?
im using a hvc-nrom-03, taked from a tennis famicom cart
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

That should be NROM-128, then. Check pins 27 and 1, does the board connect them both to 5V (it should)?
BokuNES

Post by BokuNES »

Memblers wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:22 pm That should be NROM-128, then. Check pins 27 and 1, does the board connect them both to 5V (it should)?
both are conected to 5v
BokuNES

Post by BokuNES »

i tested all point, and all seems to be fine, so i think that the problems are the eproms itself, you cant use non CMOS eproms on the nes alfter all, so, thats all
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

BokuNES wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:22 am i tested all point, and all seems to be fine, so i think that the problems are the eproms itself, you cant use non CMOS eproms on the nes alfter all, so, thats all
I don't see how an NES cart could possibly fail solely due to using non-CMOS EPROMs - after all, the NES CPU and PPU are themselves non-CMOS!

As lidnariq mentioned earlier, you might need to check that your EPROMs are fast enough for the NES - I believe the PRG ROM needs to be ~250ns (or faster) and the CHR ROM needs to be ~150ns (or faster).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Reading the datasheet, it seems the /G enable signal going low is what latches the data out on that particular chip. Make sure your address decoding is connected to that particular pin.

https://futurlec.com/Memory/27128_Datasheet.shtml

edit I checked some pictures of nrom pcbs online: https://www.nintendo8bit.no/famicom/fb_menu.jpg

They seem to be using /E for the enable for the CHR rom. So that would explain why it won't work. Ground /E and connect /G to that pin instead.

edit: talked it over with someone on irc. He thinks that it's not the problem above, however you should tie pin 1 (VPP) and pin 27 (/P) high.
BokuNES

Post by BokuNES »

my friends, thanks so much for the info, i will try again tomorrow, i will inform you if this works!, thanks again for the info!
BokuNES

Post by BokuNES »

my friends, sorry for the delay replying this, it works!!!, thank you so much!!!