It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: About glitches
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am
Posts: 87
Hello,everyone! :)
I have a problem on my emulator. My emulator use loopy's The skinny on NES scrolling
The graphics generate glitches, some games at scanline 0 , and some demos at every visible scanline.(scanline scope is -1 ~ 260, -1 represents pre-renderline, 0 ~ 239 represents visible scanlines, 240 represents post-renderline, 241 ~ 260 represents vblank stuff)

Here are some pictures

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

What's wrong?

I guess the reasion maybe $2005 write

_________________
1. I am not a native speaker of English.If my expression is not right or has grammar errors or something, please correct me by PM or reply to my post directly.Thank you in advance.
2. About FC87.


Last edited by Boolean on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am
Posts: 87
who can help me? :?

_________________
1. I am not a native speaker of English.If my expression is not right or has grammar errors or something, please correct me by PM or reply to my post directly.Thank you in advance.
2. About FC87.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:59 pm
Posts: 1413
1. Expecting a reply within 1 hour of your initial post is unreasonable - some of us only check this forum once per day, often even less frequently.

2. Do not expect older demo ROMs to work correctly, since most of them were designed to work on emulators and were never verified to work correctly on real hardware. It's entirely possible that those glitches are supposed to appear. Similarly, always check this list before trying to "fix" graphical glitches in a particular game.

3. It looks like you're using an outdated version of scanline.nes (the 2nd-last picture) - use this one instead.

_________________
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Posts: 10429
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Some games (mostly early ones) set the vertical scroll to -1 in order to compensate for the 1 scanline delay in sprite coordinates. This may cause attribute table data to be rendered as name table data in the first scanline of the screen, which most of the time will look like garbage. Since this isn't visible in most TVs, the problem was never detected by the developers. You should check each game (in other emulators and possibly a real console though video capture) to verify whether it's supposed to have those glitches before trying to fix them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:35 pm
Posts: 4028
CMCWavy and Soccer look correct on Nintendulator, so the roms probably aren't the problem here. Try posting a screenshot of Slalom, that game uses both negative scroll and lots of horizontal scroll changes.

_________________
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am
Posts: 87
Dwedit wrote:
CMCWavy and Soccer look correct on Nintendulator, so the roms probably aren't the problem here. Try posting a screenshot of Slalom, that game uses both negative scroll and lots of horizontal scroll changes.


Image

Slalom has glitches too. The same problem occured in F1 Race

Somehow, I always think the reason is that I didn't properly deal with first write to $2005 to change coarse X(Tile Number) and find x.
Do you agree with me?

_________________
1. I am not a native speaker of English.If my expression is not right or has grammar errors or something, please correct me by PM or reply to my post directly.Thank you in advance.
2. About FC87.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am
Posts: 87
tokumaru wrote:
Some games (mostly early ones) set the vertical scroll to -1 in order to compensate for the 1 scanline delay in sprite coordinates. This may cause attribute table data to be rendered as name table data in the first scanline of the screen, which most of the time will look like garbage. Since this isn't visible in most TVs, the problem was never detected by the developers. You should check each game (in other emulators and possibly a real console though video capture) to verify whether it's supposed to have those glitches before trying to fix them.


I will disassemble the ROM to verify it.

_________________
1. I am not a native speaker of English.If my expression is not right or has grammar errors or something, please correct me by PM or reply to my post directly.Thank you in advance.
2. About FC87.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am
Posts: 87
Quietust wrote:
1. Expecting a reply within 1 hour of your initial post is unreasonable - some of us only check this forum once per day, often even less frequently.

2. Do not expect older demo ROMs to work correctly, since most of them were designed to work on emulators and were never verified to work correctly on real hardware. It's entirely possible that those glitches are supposed to appear. Similarly, always check this list before trying to "fix" graphical glitches in a particular game.

3. It looks like you're using an outdated version of scanline.nes (the 2nd-last picture) - use this one instead.


1. You are right, but I am a bit hurry. :)

2. Yeah. The page I accessed frequently. It's very useful to me. Simultaneously, Tricky-to-emulate games also important.

3. I am trying to understand your scanline.asm's every instruction

_________________
1. I am not a native speaker of English.If my expression is not right or has grammar errors or something, please correct me by PM or reply to my post directly.Thank you in advance.
2. About FC87.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:23 am
Posts: 1194
Location: Behind you with a knife!
Looks like a timing error to me.

_________________
http://www.jamesturner.de/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am
Posts: 87
WedNESday wrote:
Looks like a timing error to me.

Maybe, but I couldn't find the actual reason.
I guess sprite hit should be OK, because Battletoads could be run properly.
Do you know any test ROM for accurate timing?

_________________
1. I am not a native speaker of English.If my expression is not right or has grammar errors or something, please correct me by PM or reply to my post directly.Thank you in advance.
2. About FC87.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:38 am
Posts: 115
Boolean wrote:
Do you know any test ROM for accurate timing?

CPOW once posted a link to the collection of test ROMs he had accumulated when I was having trouble with my CPU/PPU, and they helped a lot: https://github.com/christopherpow/nes-test-roms

Some of these are timing-related test ROMs. Maybe they will prove to be useful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am
Posts: 87
ArsonIzer wrote:
Boolean wrote:
Do you know any test ROM for accurate timing?

CPOW once posted a link to the collection of test ROMs he had accumulated when I was having trouble with my CPU/PPU, and they helped a lot: https://github.com/christopherpow/nes-test-roms

Some of these are timing-related test ROMs. Maybe they will prove to be useful.


Yeah!
Those ROMs were downloaded by me last year, and I did some tests.
Now, I think I should test ROMs about timing carefully.

_________________
1. I am not a native speaker of English.If my expression is not right or has grammar errors or something, please correct me by PM or reply to my post directly.Thank you in advance.
2. About FC87.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am
Posts: 87
Attachment:
apocalypse.png
apocalypse.png [ 298.79 KiB | Viewed 2928 times ]


I test a rom called apocalypse.nes.
Nametable window is ok, but FC87 main window is error.
It seems that nametable switch not properly.
I need to check The skinny on NES scrolling implementation in my emulator.

The demo apocalypse downloaded from https://github.com/christopherpow/nes-test-roms

_________________
1. I am not a native speaker of English.If my expression is not right or has grammar errors or something, please correct me by PM or reply to my post directly.Thank you in advance.
2. About FC87.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: About glitches
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am
Posts: 87
I find a reason about horizon shaking. The reason is that my cpu's crossing page implementation
is wrong, and I no longer judge crossing page the video is better than ever.

for example
boing.png:
Judging crossing page left is shaking and right is shaking too.
Don't judge crossing page right is shaking only.
scanline.png:
Judging crossing page left is shaking and right is shaking too.
Don't judge crossing page neither left nor right is shaking.


Attachments:
boing.png
boing.png [ 17.87 KiB | Viewed 2561 times ]
scanline.png
scanline.png [ 16.28 KiB | Viewed 2561 times ]

_________________
1. I am not a native speaker of English.If my expression is not right or has grammar errors or something, please correct me by PM or reply to my post directly.Thank you in advance.
2. About FC87.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gilbert, Google [Bot], Zepper and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group