It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:50 pm 

I'm having a very hard time finding whether any of these count as both "common" and "high priority". I can only think of things that would be deemed "points of curiosity" for the common ASIC mappers:
* MMC3: As far as we know, the two variants of the MMC3B are identical to the MMC3A and MMC3C — I wouldn't expect to find an interesting difference there. I think the only big question in my mind would be discovering the niggling details of how Nintendo implemented the PPUA12 edge detection.
* Namco's 108/109/118/119 are hopefully not too hard to find? It'd be interesting to figure out what causes the hazard is that Naruko identified when writing to $0000-$1FFF while executing from $8000-$9FFF.
* MMC1: I'd be idly curious to know how they implemented the MMC1 only paying attention to the first write of a RMW instruction.
* VRC2 and/or clones? Could be interesting to see what the SPI microwire interface looks like.

And then there's various rarer parts that have bigger question marks:
* Namco's 163: Could be interesting to see what the wavetable synthesizer DAC and logic look like. If you get a copy of 独眼竜政宗 = Dokuganryuu Masamune there's a bonus chip-on-board (the one immediately above the copper label "60-12") that's doing something Very Weird, not just being a bonus RAM that's used instead of the normal 163 RAM, but seemingly somehow disabling the normal 163 RAM?
* How exactly does RAMBO-1's IRQ work?
* why does Irem's G-101 have so many pins?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:57 pm 

The one I most care about is the VRC7.

Technically one has already been decapped but I'm still waiting for a decoding of the instrument ROM, which I understand requires some sort of chemical staining process to make visible?
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12260

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 am 

Oh, another random one:

Taito's X1-017 (i.e. mapper 82) is connected to the NES's /IRQ line, but no game uses IRQs. It'd be idly interesting to see if (and how) the IRQ hardware is broken, or how one could be triggered.