Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

unregistered

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by unregistered »

Sour wrote:I thought I had fixed the issue with comments endlessly repeating themselves, but it looks like it was only fixed it in Mesen-S and not Mesen. I'll try to commit the fix for it over the weekend.
Thank you so much Sour! :D (pointless note: I'm currently using Mesen 0.9.8)
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

Hi Sour, I'm looking up HD pack tags in the online documentation using Chrome and some of them are too long to display in one line but they don't warp and there is no horizontal scroll bar. This one for example:
https://www.mesen.ca/docs/hdpacks.html# ... und-gt-tag
Can you fix that when you have time? For the time being, I copy and paste the page content to notepad to read. Thanks.
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

I have a problem with <background> tag and it would be nice if you can change the behavior of this tag. Currently if the background image contains transparent area, then the emulator shows solid white in that area. Is it possible to change this behavior so that if an area in the background image is transparent, the emulator would render that area as if no <background> tag is defined? ie shows the bg colour and shows the bg priority sprites even through the "Show Behind Background Priority Sprites" parameter is disabled. Thanks.

I have a scene where there are a large section of solid colour and a small section where the bg tiles use transparancy for bg priority sprites to show:
The original screen. The stars are bg priority sprites
Dragon Ball Z II - Gekishin Freeza!! (J) [!]_001.png
Dragon Ball Z II - Gekishin Freeza!! (J) [!]_001.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 25451 times
The background image with transparent section:
cutscenebg.png
The stars no longer shows and that area is filled with solid white:
Dragon Ball Z II - Gekishin Freeza!! (J) [!]_002.png
Alyosha_TAS

Post by Alyosha_TAS »

I'm looking into the game T&c Surf Designs - Wood and Water Rage, and I noticed there are these odd sprites just before the first level loads.

I looked into it a bit, and I noticed that OAMADDR is not reset when one of the OAM DMA's runs a couple frames before (when the screen turns grey.)

There doesn't seem to be anything special happening, but I haven't gotten a chance to dig too deeply into it.

I think OAMADDR should be reset at this point though.

Maybe a hardware test would help too. (These stray sprites also occur earlier on during loading.

Also this isn't just a visual glitch, this effects sprite zero timing which is keeping me from syncing some TASes between BizHawk and Mesen, so I'd really like to know which one is correct.

Thanks!
Attachments
surf.png
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Sour wrote:I thought I had fixed the issue with comments endlessly repeating themselves, but it looks like it was only fixed it in Mesen-S and not Mesen.
If anyone else has experienced the endless repetition of comments, it may help to know that this problem has only occurred for me after I click File>Workspace>"Export Labels".

So, if you remove all of the extra comment lines from your .mlb file after each export, your .mlb file should always be in good shape. :)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Two requests:

I use a laptop, and I frequently switch from using it at my desk with a second monitor to using it by itself with a single monitor.

The main emulator window always comes up fine, but it seems like all the other windows (PPU viewer, debugger, etc.) remember their position on the now non-existent monitor. I use Dual Monitor Tools to force them to come back to the screen I'm using, but it happens to me continually and is momentarily confusing every time when the window doesn't appear. (If I didn't have Dual Monitor Tools it would be a lot harder to resolve, I think.)

Manually marking things as "verified code" or "verified data" gives me some problems. The disassembler seems to override and display things as code anyway, and also it will get overwritten the next time that "data" is run again. I'm not sure the exact conditions that cause this but its seems like if I try to switch one of the last couple of executed lines of code to "data" the disassembler view will not show them as data, instead continuing to display them as code no matter how I mark them?

If someone manually marks something, it would probably help if that could be a sticky choice. Something like "manual code, manual data, auto", where auto would go with whatever the verified option is like it currently does.

Also the keyboard shortcuts for marking code/data (Ctrl + 1/2/3) seem to conflict with the open PPU viewer shortcuts. (Or do I have old default settings that have propagated through...?)
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Is Sour lost in Mesen-S land? :)

Sour, here is something I don't understand about Mesen... in its RTS description Mesen's debugger states:
...It pulls the status flags and program counter (minus 1) from the stack.
It seems to me that rts doesn't affect status flags; none of your status flags in the RTS description are even highlighted. I'm confused. :?

edit: I'm still using 0.9.8
Sour

Post by Sour »

No, I'm just lost in "taking a break" land at the moment - sorry for disappearing without notice for a few weeks.
I know there are some pull requests that have been done and are pending, will try to check & merge them over the weekend.

Still planning to take a break for a while longer, though - I was working on Mesen/Mesen-S constantly for over half a year, essentially spending all my free time on them, I needed (and still need) a break.
I'll get back to them eventually but it'll be a while longer. (plus, WoW Classic got released a week ago and I'm enjoying my time on it at the moment :p)
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

That's ok Sour, enjoy your much needed break. All of your hard work has extremely helped me in game creation! :D Thank you so much; enjoy WOW Classic. :)
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

Hi Sour, if I have a LUA script which I want to run with a HD pack, is it possible to set a game specific script to run automatically as soon as the game starts? Thanks.
ludemix

Post by ludemix »

Sorry for the total noob question and if this isn't the right place to ask this. I've looked everywhere for how to load Vs. games.

Is there a specific format that Vs. games are expected to be in? I'm using the latest mame set but they don't load.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Sour, just got MesenDevWin-0.9.8.27 today :D; your excellent debugger's Code>"Performance Tracker ($xxxx)">Disabled is always checked.

This happens despite the game being unpaused and clicking the performance tracker to change its display. I found this out by clicking Code>"Performance Tracker ($xxxx)">Fullscreen while the game was paused/stalled, nothing happened, and then after clicking play, the screen had a performance tracker overlay; but, Code>"Performance Tracker ($xxxx)">Disabled was still checked.

This' not much of a problem other than that it's uncomfortable. :)
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Ok... I was wondering why, after loading a .cdl file, mesen’s Program Counter gets relocated? 🙂
Sour

Post by Sour »

Looks like I forgot to reply to a few things, heh.
mkwong98 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:26 pmHi Sour, if I have a LUA script which I want to run with a HD pack, is it possible to set a game specific script to run automatically as soon as the game starts? Thanks.
There's no way to load a Lua script via a HD pack currently, no. (and I wouldn't really be keen on allowing this, as you could essentially disguise malware as HD Packs)
unregistered wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:44 pmyour excellent debugger's Code>"Performance Tracker ($xxxx)">Disabled is always checked.
Yea, I'm aware of this one - it's a dumb technical limitation (the "Code" menu is actually a copy of the disassembly's right-click menu, in which the option is selected properly) that I haven't found a neat solution to and don't think the issue is important enough to write some more code just to fix this specifically (vs finding a more general solution.)
ludemix wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:16 amIs there a specific format that Vs. games are expected to be in? I'm using the latest mame set but they don't load.
VS Unisystem and VS Dualsystem games should be in .nes format, no other format is supported. I think there might be a tool somewhere to convert the mame sets to .nes (but I'm unsure if this exists, or if it was just an idea that someone talked about)
unregistered wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:24 amI was wondering why, after loading a .cdl file, mesen’s Program Counter gets relocated?
It's just due to the way this is coded, it forces the game to finish the current frame before it reloads the CDL and regenerates the disassembly cache. It's fixable, though, but is this really an issue? I don't imagine many people frequently manually load external CDL files..
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Sour wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:55 pm I think there might be a tool somewhere to convert the mame sets to .nes (but I'm unsure if this exists, or if it was just an idea that someone talked about)
Yes, NewRIsingSun wrote this tool.