Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

NovaSquirrel

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by NovaSquirrel »

yaros wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:17 am Hey, thanks for that. I think you should change the Readme, to indicate it's a fork to contribute to. Also Readme currently points to mesen.ca website for downloads and donates, which are not under your control. Also it mentions Arch package, which I suppose you won't be able to update. Unless you can contact Sour somehow.

It might be logistically easier to rename the fork, to avoid future confusion as well...
Yeah probably a good idea to make it really clear what the forks are for. Any suggestions on what to rename the Mesen and Mesen-S forks to?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Mesen-Squirrel :mrgreen:
yaros

Post by yaros »

n goes after m so Nesen? :)
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Hmmm, for me, I like to add Roman numerals after a function’s name if I rewrite it or some of it. Mesen should keep its name, IMO, so maybe use Meseni and Meseni-s? :)
yaros

Post by yaros »

There is an idea floating around to call it Mesen Homebrew Edition.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

unregistered wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 pm Hmmm, for me, I like to add Roman numerals after a function’s name if I rewrite it or some of it. Mesen should keep its name, IMO, so maybe use Meseni and Meseni-s? :)
I think Meseni feels awkward to say, but I think this is the right sort of idea. Something that makes it clear that it's connected to Mesen, but a different name that returns different google results. Like FCEUX coming from FCEU(whatever edition).

NeoMesen. Mesenium. CoMesen (ie community mesen).

I'm not sure I like any of those better, but I think something along those lines would be a good idea.
Aclectico

Post by Aclectico »

NovaSquirrel wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm I'm encouraging everyone who improves Mesen and Mesen-S to send pull requests to https://github.com/NovaSquirrel/Mesen and https://github.com/NovaSquirrel/Mesen-S so hopefully we can have a centralized fork right off the bat. I've got changes I'm working on myself, starting with trying to get Mesen's history viewer into Mesen-S.

I don't think I'll mind being the person to review pull requests if it means I get to help prevent a messy fork situation.
I didn't see mkwong98 recently on this thread so I just gave him a heads up on these efforts to try and consolidate updates for Mesen. He recently added some improvements to HD pack functionality for Mesen discussed at the bottom of the page here: (https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index. ... c=25426.20). I'm hoping these changes make it into what ends up being the "go-to" repository.
anikom15

Post by anikom15 »

Mesen++ (a. k. a. mesenpp)
Aclectico

Post by Aclectico »

Mesen++ (a.k.a. Mesenpp) is kind of funny :)

It also reminds me of Mupen64Plus.

Some additional thoughts - Mesen started out as being owned mostly by one individual (similar to most other early generation console emulators) - Now, I think it's fair to say there is more of a community around it. With that in mind, gauauu's CoMesen idea seems appropriate - or Maybe "Mesen-Co" or "MesenCo?" The latter two options keep the recognizable name first and also references the larger community. With that said, a downside to the latter two options is that users may think the name references a company instead of an emulator... :|
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Speaking of Co-Mesen, maybe we can call it Mesen-oc or Mesenoc (thus intentionally mislead people to wonder the meaning of oc and many will guess 'OverClocked') following how the emulator got its namesake in the first place.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I see, since Mesen is also NES EMulator backwards (as well as a Japanese word for point of view 目線). Kind of similar to how FCE eventually became FCEUX.

I think Mesen Homebrew Edition might suggest that it's mainly for development and cause people that just want to play games to avoid it. And that would be a shame since it's great for both.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

gauauu wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:14 pm
unregistered wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 pm Hmmm, for me, I like to add Roman numerals after a function’s name if I rewrite it or some of it. Mesen should keep its name, IMO, so maybe use Meseni and Meseni-s? :)
I think Meseni feels awkward to say, but I think this is the right sort of idea. Something that makes it clear that it's connected to Mesen, but a different name that returns different google results. Like FCEUX coming from FCEU(whatever edition).

NeoMesen. Mesenium. CoMesen (ie community mesen).

I'm not sure I like any of those better, but I think something along those lines would be a good idea.
Thank you gauauu! :) If you know what the i means, you can easily call it “Mesen I”... the lowercase i, without the space, is just there to make the name shorter. :)
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Not sure if this is the right place (sorry, I didn't read through 60 pages of history, and the "log a bug" button in Mesen is broken :lol: ), but I've been playing around with Vs System development, and Mesen actually has fairly good support! However, it crashes a LOT if you are running games targeting the "Dual Vs System" and accessing the shared memory.

I know its pretty niche, but if there is any interest in fixing this, I can help explain the situation where it happens. I have attached a ROM with the crash on boot if that helps.

It runs fine on real hardware, but there is also a chance I got the header wrong in some catastrophic way. :shock:
Attachments
version_info.png
version_info.png (23.74 KiB) Viewed 13142 times
dual_crash.png
main.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Goose2k, hi.

The “log a bug” button is broken bc Sour has quit work on Mesen. The “donate” button is broken too. You are using version 0.9.9.0 and there have been countless updates since then.

Try the last release; or search for whatever you want here:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Sour/mesen/history

Sorry, I’m not knowledgeable about the Vs System. :(
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Awesome thanks!

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Sour/me ... s/32488821

"Fixed crash when loading VS-DualSystem games that are marked as having no work ram" :shock:

I think that might actually be the bug!

Unfortunately it still crashes on latest. Thanks though!