Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Sour

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by Sour »

Just a small update, Mesen 0.2.1 is out.

0.2.1 fixes a number of issues:
-PPU race condition that caused a display glitch on the opening screen in Kick Master
-Properly implements MC-ACC IRQ behavior (fixes Incredible Crash Dummies screen shaking)
-Fixes a bug with the triangle channel at low frequencies
-Fixes a bug with the sound mixer when setting low volumes for individual channels
-Fixes PPU timing bugs for both PAL & Dendy

It also adds a few new features:
-Ability to record audio to .wav files
-Added support for a number of NES 2.0 submappers
-Added a few features in the debugger, and fixed a few bugs.

Just a heads up: 0.2.1 breaks compatibility with save states from previous versions.

Thanks to x0000 & Eugene.S for the bug reports!

As always, if you find any bugs, please let me know! :)
Sour

Post by Sour »

Another small update: 0.2.2 is out.

New stuff:
-CPU overclocking/underclocking (CPU+APU, or only CPU, which allows overclocking without altering sound pitch)
-Mapper 19/69/210 support
-VRC6, MMC5, Sunsoft 5B and Namco 163 expansion sound support
-And a couple of small items (AxROM 4-bit PRG select, NES 2.0 CHR ram size field support, MMC5 bugfixes)
Sour

Post by Sour »

And another update: 0.3.0

This one adds a fair amount of stuff:

-NSF/NSFe support that turns the emulator into a mini music player:

-7-Zip support, and support for compressed archives containing multiple roms
-Built-in game database to auto-correct iNES headers (a mix of Nestopia's and NesCartDB's databases)
-Support for 24 more mappers, bringing the total to over 130.
-Log window tool to view info about the loaded roms.
-VS System zapper support and fixes for freezes in RBI Baseball, TKO Boxing and Super Devious.
-A number of bug fixes related to the debugger.

Let me know if you find any problems or have any feature requests.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Sorry for bumping this again!

0.3.1 is out:

-VRC7 sound support
-MMC5 vertical split mode support
-Input devices (i.e controller, zapper, four player adapter) are now automatically selected when loading a recognized rom
-Improved support for VS System (automatically selects the proper PPU palette and input mappings)
-Plus a few bug fixes and small improvements
freem

Post by freem »

Haven't tried it out yet, but...
1) bumping isn't nearly as looked down here as it is on other forums.
2) I'm pretty sure a new release of your emulator counts as a good reason to bump the thread.
Sour

Post by Sour »

A couple of updates - 0.3.2 and 0.4.0 have been released.

Updates:
-Added support for 46 more mappers
-DirectInput devices are now supported
-UI is now also available in Spanish & Russian
-Controller button state can now be shown on the screen
-Fixed a DirectX crash that caused the emu to crash on some computers
-Fixed an audio bug with the square channel sweep unit
-Improved open bus implementation (passes "allpads" test)
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

:shock:
Last edited by Zepper on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MP2E

Post by MP2E »

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work! There's a lot of NES emulators out there so standing out is hard, but I'm very impressed by this so far and see a lot of potential

thanks again
Sour

Post by Sour »

MP2E wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work! There's a lot of NES emulators out there so standing out is hard, but I'm very impressed by this so far and see a lot of potential

thanks again
Thanks! It's always nice to hear what people think of the emulator.

On a side note, version 0.4.1 is out :)
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Does anyone know where Mesen sets up its directories for save game battery data and configuration files? Does any know if these directories are customizable? I'd like to set it up so the emulator and all it's save data are portable and I can just keep it all in one directory. This way I can throw everything on a flash drive for when I am on the go.
Sour

Post by Sour »

By default, Mesen will keep all of its data in a "Mesen" subfolder in your "Documents" folder.

You can turn on "portable" mode by appending _P to the .exe's name. i.e: Mesen_P.exe
This will make Mesen save all of its data in a "Mesen" folder in the same folder as the .exe itself (which should make it work from a USB key, but I can't say I've ever tried!)
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Sour wrote:By default, Mesen will keep all of its data in a "Mesen" subfolder in your "Documents" folder.

You can turn on "portable" mode by appending _P to the .exe's name. i.e: Mesen_P.exe
This will make Mesen save all of its data in a "Mesen" folder in the same folder as the .exe itself (which should make it work from a USB key, but I can't say I've ever tried!)

Thank you. Lemme kiss your face. MAWH!
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

I'm in portable mode now. I don't see where Mesen is storing it's cheat files such as Game Genie and Pro Action Replay. Do does anyone know where those are saved to and what formats Mesen accepts. I have a few cheats packs I would like to import if possible.
Sour

Post by Sour »

The cheats are stored in the settings.xml file along with everything else.

Mesen doesn't support any cheat file format (yet), I'm aware of the .CHT files FCEUX uses, and I think Nestopia has its own XML format for cheats as well?
Is the cheat pack you're hoping to import in either of these formats, or does another format exist as well?
Being able to import/export cheats is on my list of things to do, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Sour wrote:The cheats are stored in the settings.xml file along with everything else.

Mesen doesn't support any cheat file format (yet), I'm aware of the .CHT files FCEUX uses, and I think Nestopia has its own XML format for cheats as well?
Is the cheat pack you're hoping to import in either of these formats, or does another format exist as well?
Being able to import/export cheats is on my list of things to do, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I download the cheat files from http://gamehacking.org

The site lets you download the cheats in several different formats. I was using PuNES which used .CHT files and was hoping to import them all although having to redownload them in a different format wouldn't be too much of a pain.