Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Sour

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by Sour »

uVSthem wrote:I download the cheat files from http://gamehacking.org

The site lets you download the cheats in several different formats. I was using PuNES which used .CHT files and was hoping to import them all although having to redownload them in a different format wouldn't be too much of a pain.
The latest version (0.4.2) lets you import FCEUX/Nestopia cheat files (CHT/XML) as well as export them back to XML (Nestopia format).
The cheat list's UI changed quite a bit, and I added a built-in cheat DB with over 10k cheats that you can easily import cheats from as well.

Just a heads up though, these changes required me to erase any existing cheats (so upgrading to 0.4.2 will remove any cheats you had setup in Mesen)
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Sour wrote:
uVSthem wrote:I download the cheat files from http://gamehacking.org

The site lets you download the cheats in several different formats. I was using PuNES which used .CHT files and was hoping to import them all although having to redownload them in a different format wouldn't be too much of a pain.
The latest version (0.4.2) lets you import FCEUX/Nestopia cheat files (CHT/XML) as well as export them back to XML (Nestopia format).
The cheat list's UI changed quite a bit, and I added a built-in cheat DB with over 10k cheats that you can easily import cheats from as well.

Just a heads up though, these changes required me to erase any existing cheats (so upgrading to 0.4.2 will remove any cheats you had setup in Mesen)

Sounds good, thanks.
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

I’ve encountered a bug and I have a feature request. The bug is that whenever I try to exit the emulator in full screen with a rom loaded I get a “Mesen (beta) is not responding” error. As for my request, I would like to be able to select the screen resolution will in full screen mode. Right now if I am correct full screen mode uses whatever resolution the desktop is set to. If also I could open the emulator and go straight into full screen mode without having to select every time that would great as well.
tepples

Post by tepples »

uVSthem wrote:As for my request, I would like to be able to select the screen resolution will in full screen mode. Right now if I am correct full screen mode uses whatever resolution the desktop is set to.
Excuse me while I help the developer triage this request:

I thought sticking to the device's native pixel resolution was best for fixed-pixel displays such as LCDs and plasma panels. Are you using a CRT? Or do you have a very slow video card that can't upscale in hardware?
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

I have my PC connected to a 4K TV. For whatever reason the hardware upscaling on my Nvidia card is bugged and when I set it to upscale it only upscales to 4K at 30p instead of my TV’s native 4k at 60p. Besides, sending a signal in a display’s native resolution should always produce better image results than upscaling.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Then why not just run the emulator in 3840x2160 and tell the emulator to enlarge the video by a factor of 9?

Or are you trying to say that your video card is incapable of outputting 3840x2160 at 60 fps? I know 3840x2160 resolution on HDMI 1.x tops at out 30 fps. Is the issue that your video card doesn't support HDMI 2? Does the mouse cursor lag when you run 3840x2160 on your desktop?

"Besides, sending a signal in a display’s native resolution should always produce better image results than upscaling."

But you're asking to add a feature to send a signal at a resolution other than the display's native resolution.
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

I can run 4k at 60 no problem. My TV and video card is HDMI 2.0. The issue is Mesen runs at whatever resolution the desktop is set to. I can switch my desktop resolution to 4k and then Mesen will be at 4k however I was hoping of having Mesen having its own resolution setting so wouldn't have change the destop whenever I open and close the emulator.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Can you not connect the TV as a secondary monitor & set its resolution independently of your monitor's resolution?
I have a 2k computer monitor and a 1080p projector hooked to my computer, and both devices operate at different resolutions without any upscaling being applied.

Thanks for the crash report, I can't seem to reproduce it on my end though.
Does it really only happen when you exit Mesen while in fullscreen mode on your end? I can't really see why fullscreen mode would cause this kind of crash.
There are a few debug switches you can use on Mesen (/novideo, /noaudio, /noinput) that disable each corresponding feature, could you try if running with all or some of these prevent the crash when exiting? This would help me get a general idea of where the bug might be.

As far starting in fullscreen mode, this is already supported :)
Just use the /fullscreen command line option and Mesen will start in fullscreen mode.
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Sour wrote:Can you not connect the TV as a secondary monitor & set its resolution independently of your monitor's resolution?
I have a 2k computer monitor and a 1080p projector hooked to my computer, and both devices operate at different resolutions without any upscaling being applied.

Thanks for the crash report, I can't seem to reproduce it on my end though.
Does it really only happen when you exit Mesen while in fullscreen mode on your end? I can't really see why fullscreen mode would cause this kind of crash.
There are a few debug switches you can use on Mesen (/novideo, /noaudio, /noinput) that disable each corresponding feature, could you try if running with all or some of these prevent the crash when exiting? This would help me get a general idea of where the bug might be.

As far starting in fullscreen mode, this is already supported :)
Just use the /fullscreen command line option and Mesen will start in fullscreen mode.

I only have one monitor. I attached a photo of the error I am getting. So far I have only been able to get it when exiting in full screen. I'm running Windows 10 x64.
Attachments
Full screen crash.
Full screen crash.
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

I did some more playing around with this crash I am having. It only happens when I have "Pause emulator when in background" checked.
Last edited by uVSthem on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Thanks! That made it a lot easier to figure out what was causing the issue.
I fixed the code, so the crash/freeze should be gone in the next version.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Version 0.5.0 has been released, which should fix the crash you were getting.
Let me know if you still get the same problem after upgrading.
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

The "Pause emulator when in background" exit bug appears to have been fixed. I found a new bug now while trying to exit with the google drive sync enabled. I attached a photo of the error. The only way I can exit is if I turn off the google drive sync feature.
Attachments
google.jpg
Sour

Post by Sour »

Thanks - it looks like the zip file stored on google drive is corrupted, which is causing the crash.
You might be able to fix it by deleting Mesen from your authorized apps in your google account's settings and then setting up google integration in Mesen again.

I'm not quite sure how the file got corrupted in the first place, though.
Either way, I will change the code to ensure google drive's content is overridden with the local copy in the event it has become corrupted, which should prevent the crash from happening in the future.
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Sour wrote:Thanks - it looks like the zip file stored on google drive is corrupted, which is causing the crash.
You might be able to fix it by deleting Mesen from your authorized apps in your google account's settings and then setting up google integration in Mesen again.

I'm not quite sure how the file got corrupted in the first place, though.
Either way, I will change the code to ensure google drive's content is overridden with the local copy in the event it has become corrupted, which should prevent the crash from happening in the future.

I tried deleting the app from my google account setting. It didn't change anything.