Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Nix

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by Nix » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:51 pm

Controllerhead wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:16 pm
Nix wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:06 am
if Sour ever comes back
I looked at Sour's Github History. It seems like he periodically takes a break for a month or two every year. Well deserved in my humble opinion for a man who has given so much. This break seems to be on par with that.
Oh, I see. I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info.

And if I turn out to be wrong, then sorry for jumping to conclusions.

LucianoTheWindowsFan

Post by LucianoTheWindowsFan » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:01 am

Would be more definitive by adding support for Barcode Battler II cards, as seen in Barcode World. Otherwise, the game will be impossible to emulate.
The SNES is my favorite console, not only because it is an upgrade to the NES, but because it had some quality games as well (e.g. EarthBound and Kirby's Dream Land 3).

aj7596

Post by aj7596 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:07 pm

Mesen github repository is now archived.
https://github.com/SourMesen

Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Sour's confirmed that he's not planning on returning to these projects, so further development will need to be in a fork.

yaros

Post by yaros » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:13 pm

That's sad. I hope Sour is okay, and if he is, he better enjoy retirement from ruthless and thankless world of Open Source :).

gauauu

Post by gauauu » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:06 am

yaros wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:13 pm
That's sad. I hope Sour is okay, and if he is, he better enjoy retirement from ruthless and thankless world of Open Source :).
Yeah, he confirmed that he's ok, and just got tired and burned out from working on it.

The real question will be: is there going to be a centralized fork in the future, so that various fixes/changes get rolled back into the same place, or will it become a giant mess of different forks that are all slightly different?

Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:14 am

Found it on Reddit topic:
Sour wrote:Just for the sake of not letting the speculations spin out of control, I figured I should at least post something.

I stopped working on the emulators back in July, and just marked them as archived yesterday because I don't plan on resuming work on them at this point (and I felt bad for anyone spending time to enter issues or make pull requests that will never get processed.)

Doing this for 4+ years (esp. trying to manage 2 separate emulators at once) has taken its toll and I was getting pretty exhausted by it all. It was something that was going to happen sooner or later, either way. Please let's not turn this into drama - I haven't even ever spoken to LIJI myself, and can absolutely understand why he might have been upset over it. (LIJI, if you happen to be reading this, I certainly did not mean to steal any of your work, and my sincerest apologies if that's what it seemed like)

Either way, I've taken a liking to having more free time, so I don't currently plan on resuming work on the emulators at this point. I won't say "never", but it's certainly not something anyone should be holding out hope for

And while I'm here, thank you to everybody who used Mesen or helped me improve it over the years. Although it had become a bit too much for a single person to manage by the end, it's definitely been a fun and positive experience for me. (and hopefully the code is useful to others down the line!)
By the way,
"My NES" open source cycle-accurate NES emulator (dev. since 2009) suddenly disappeared.
Lastest version (7.8.7520.40396) was released 03 August, 2020

but now repository is deleted:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mynes/

Some emulation sites have binaries, but no lastest sources backup.
Everything is lost.
Last edited by Eugene.S on Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Eugene.S wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:14 am
Found it on Reddit topic:
Sour wrote:Just for the sake of not letting the speculations spin out of control, I figured I should at least post something.

I stopped working on the emulators back in July, and just marked them as archived yesterday because I don't plan on resuming work on them at this point (and I felt bad for anyone spending time to enter issues or make pull requests that will never get processed.)

Doing this for 4+ years (esp. trying to manage 2 separate emulators at once) has taken its toll and I was getting pretty exhausted by it all. It was something that was going to happen sooner or later, either way. Please let's not turn this into drama - I haven't even ever spoken to LIJI myself, and can absolutely understand why he might have been upset over it. (LIJI, if you happen to be reading this, I certainly did not mean to steal any of your work, and my sincerest apologies if that's what it seemed like)

Either way, I've taken a liking to having more free time, so I don't currently plan on resuming work on the emulators at this point. I won't say "never", but it's certainly not something anyone should be holding out hope for

And while I'm here, thank you to everybody who used Mesen or helped me improve it over the years. Although it had become a bit too much for a single person to manage by the end, it's definitely been a fun and positive experience for me. (and hopefully the code is useful to others down the line!)
Thank you Eugene.S for posting that! :)

Sour has stopped, Mesen is SO great! :D So thankful for his 4+ years of hard work; glad he is enjoying his free time. :)

Eugene.S, your link does not link to that post from Sour. Please, could you fix your link? I’m interested to read its thread. (I don’t use reddit so I’m not sure how to quickly find Sour’s post myself.)

never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:19 pm

gauauu wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:06 am
The real question will be: is there going to be a centralized fork in the future, so that various fixes/changes get rolled back into the same place, or will it become a giant mess of different forks that are all slightly different?
Like a Mesenxdsp-hfe? :D
. That's just like, your opinion, man .

Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:34 pm

Eugene.S, your link does not link to that post from Sour. Please, could you fix your link? I’m interested to read its thread.
Fixed

Anyone know where to get lastest "my nes" sources for preservation reason?

Nix

Post by Nix » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:57 am

Just saw this now. Sad news about Mesen, but I'm glad and relieved Sour is doing ok at least. I wish the best of luck in his life. :)

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:22 am

Eugene.S wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:34 pm
Eugene.S, your link does not link to that post from Sour. Please, could you fix your link? I’m interested to read its thread.
Fixed
Thank you Eugene.S! :D

dink

Post by dink » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:50 pm

Sometimes it's good to step away from a project, be it just temporary or permanently.
My hat's off to you, Sour, for making the historically greatest NES emulator/debugger/ppu viewer/event list/etc.
I wish you and your family the best however and whatever you end up doing :)

best regards,
- dink

NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm

gauauu wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:06 am
I'm encouraging everyone who improves Mesen and Mesen-S to send pull requests to https://github.com/NovaSquirrel/Mesen and https://github.com/NovaSquirrel/Mesen-S so hopefully we can have a centralized fork right off the bat. I've got changes I'm working on myself, starting with trying to get Mesen's history viewer into Mesen-S.

I don't think I'll mind being the person to review pull requests if it means I get to help prevent a messy fork situation.

yaros

Post by yaros » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:17 am

NovaSquirrel wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm
I'm encouraging everyone who improves Mesen and Mesen-S to send pull requests to https://github.com/NovaSquirrel/Mesen and https://github.com/NovaSquirrel/Mesen-S so hopefully we can have a centralized fork right off the bat. I've got changes I'm working on myself, starting with trying to get Mesen's history viewer into Mesen-S.
Hey, thanks for that. I think you should change the Readme, to indicate it's a fork to contribute to. Also Readme currently points to mesen.ca website for downloads and donates, which are not under your control. Also it mentions Arch package, which I suppose you won't be able to update. Unless you can contact Sour somehow.

It might be logistically easier to rename the fork, to avoid future confusion as well...