how to add a mapper to nes emulator?

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: how to add a mapper to nes emulator?

Post by tepples »

Myself086 wrote:Mappers for X-in-1 aren't worth emulating.
Agreed, provided you aren't a developer of an X-in-1. <cough>Action 53</cough>

We could try another approach: How can the specific graphical or level hacks unique to this multi be extracted for use with an emulator that supports the basic mappers?
pubby

Post by pubby »

I admire your patience and willingness to help, tepples, but you are encouraging bad behavior.

"Help vampires" aren't desirable in a community, nor are spammers or people who impersonate. I understand you don't want to punish such people, but that doesn't mean you should reward them.
Last edited by pubby on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

How can the specific graphical or level hacks unique to this multi be extracted for use with an emulator that supports the basic mappers?
If you made a Venn diagram of people in the world with the technical skills to do this and people with the motivation and free time to do this, it would be a very small group of people.

Perhaps the Romhacking forum would be a better place to discuss that.

I myself am unwilling to download ROMs anymore, because of the shutdown of the better/safer websites seems to have only left shady sites that I don't trust.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

@tepples: that's a nice idea, infortunatelly it was stated that the games are hardcoded on the menu, and may use the mapper for baknswitching other than just to select the game.
That would need an extensive asm knowledge, wich I lack.

@Deviljin88: Please, take care of all this anxiety. As you know, bad feelings can influence your health!
Take a look at the links that zxbdragon posted and please, if that isn't what your looking for, at least quit acting as a spoiled kid.
There are may great retro games over there. I'm sure if you give a brief description of what game you're looking for many people here will be more than happy to recommend some similar games.
Deviljin88

Post by Deviljin88 »

thank you for your answers
I can not get to the nesbbs I can not download there

No emulators for ps3 are from 2010 :-(

there is no update for mappers 2019 :-(

thank you for your effort
I need mapping support like nintendulator but for ps3 :-( no windows

zxbdragon

they're the old emulators :-(

I do not support either mapper I need :-(((
Last edited by Deviljin88 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deviljin88

Post by Deviljin88 »

dougeff
https://store.brewology.com/homebrew.ph ... s&orderby=
Mednafen vunofficial PS3
to which file can a mapper be added?

And how to add? Please

on the Nesdoug page I did not find out how :-(
Thank you very much
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Deviljin88, can you make me a Virtual Boy emulator for my Wii U?

Please.

Anyway. I'm out.

Oh, 1 more thing. 88 is a bad thing to have in your name. Maybe it's your birth year. Or maybe it's that OTHER thing. You can't be sure these days.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Deviljin88

Post by Deviljin88 »

Dougeff
I'm not a programmer, otherwise I would like to create an emulator a..for you and like
Help me please add Mappers FC nes
tepples

Post by tepples »

I guess we can help you learn to program. But first you'll need a PC of some sort.
Deviljin88

Post by Deviljin88 »

Tepples

I have a notebook
tepples

Post by tepples »

Learning to program will be a long process.

First, I want you to download Python onto your notebook computer and work through a Python tutorial. Resources in Czech are available.

After you learn the fundamentals of programming using Python, then we can proceed to C and C++, the languages in which most emulators are written.

Give a vampire a pint of blood, and he eats for a day. Teach a vampire to butcher meat...
Deviljin88

Post by Deviljin88 »

Ok thank you
tomorrow I will download the python program
in Czech language
nin-kuuku

Post by nin-kuuku »

The toleration of NESdev is legendary.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

nin-kuuku wrote:The toleration of NESdev is legendary.
It's debatable as to whether it's tolerance. I see this as a humongous time sink with little to no gain. The likelihood of the OP being able to accomplish what she/she wants is extremely slim at this point. I do not consider this topic "NESemdev" subject material, but rather "emulator support" for a very specific/niche emulator. My strong opinion is that this non-stop whinging across 2 (3?) separate threads should be redirected to the maintainers of the software and not this forum. There's an amusing catch to this however, and that piece of information I think is key:

The actual port/project for Mednafen on PS3 -- based on Mednafen 0.9.16-wip -- seems to be here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/mednafen-ps3/

The last issue reported was from October 2011. So, I imagine that project is dead.

There is a GitHub fork of the project here, done sometime in 2015, where they literally imported the Google Code project into GitHub, as well as all the Issues, but it does not appear to be maintained (i.e. it's just a GitHub import/copy): https://github.com/twinaphex/mednafen-ps3

So, the emulator hasn't been updated in almost 8 years. The latest version of Mednafen (not for PS3) is 1.22.1. There was an announcement regarding moving from 0.9.x to 1.x.x -- the biggest change probably being SDL2. The last 0.9.x version is 0.9.48 from September 2017.

The reason I mention newer Mednafen is that the mappers the OP wants added (see bottom of post) -- 20 mappers, but 2 are duplicates, so 18 total; I'll provide a numerically sorted list below -- might have been added to newer Mednafen already. If that's the case, they might be able to be backported to this 0.9.16-wip PS3 project, but the effort involved is unknown. Let's try to figure that out:

Sadly, for whatever reason, the Mednafen project does not use a public VCS like GitHub or BitBucket or GitLab, so you can't easily browse the source without downloading it manually. The documentation of what mappers are supported is here, but semi-implied.

The mapper list the OP wants:

Code: Select all

91 -- not listed
176 -- not listed
237 -- not listed
255 -- not listed
256 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
274 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
281 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
282 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
295 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
296 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
351 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
353 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
356 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
358 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
361 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
362 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
363 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
364 -- iNES 2.0 only, not listed
So, no, Mednafen does not seem to support these mappers.

My advice at this point: the OP should make an account on the Mednafen forum and ask the developers to consider adding iNES 2.0 header support, followed by adding support for those mappers. If the authors/maintainers of Mednafen can do that -- people who are familiar with the code already -- then the code could be backported with less effort. I think that's a lot more feasible than trying to have someone here do it themselves. Why is there no Mednafen forum thread asking for these mappers?

I should add that asking for 18 mappers is pretty outlandish -- I would go as far as to say rude. Mature adults don't normally do this. It's not just like one mapper that's slightly different than some other mapper (though I haven't looked at all of them), it's 18 different mappers, plus adding support for a newer file format that's nuances in itself.

I really think what we have here is a case of a whinging kid with a PS3 and no programming experience that wants a slew of these really obscure/niche Chinese bootleg games running on a specific emulator. Here's what really baffles my mind: a person named "Deviljin", the -jin suffix implying Japanese, who claims to be Czech (we aren't sure), who wants 18 different mappers for obscure Chinese bootlegs added to a ported emulator that hasn't been updated in 8 years. I literally cannot wrap my brain around this. Every "bullshit" Klaxxon I have is firing on every level. I'm not the paranoid/tin-foil-hat type, but strongly suspect this might be a case of someone wanting all of these mappers added to this emulator so that the code/etc. can be taken, put into a commercial product that's being sold somewhere, and someone making money off of it. I've seen this exact thing happen in the even more niche world of embedded systems/routers, where Chinese folks have appeared on forums demanding (read: pushy, backed by terse answers, usually 1 or 2 lines at most) support/features for something only to have people write the code which they then take and use in a product that they sell. It was enough that one firmware maintainer actually began "closing off" WIP source code and only updating the public repo occasionally.

I hope that paraphrased version of the situation puts all of this into perspective. I really think all this time/effort is for little to no gain.