How to put gba Games into a Pocketnes menu

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

kelvin donna

How to put gba Games into a Pocketnes menu

Post by kelvin donna »

Hello people.

since i stumbled upon this GBA Multicart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNIcNA5sFkc

i wondered, how could you add GBA games to a Pocketnes Menu.
Anybody know this?
tepples

Re: How to put gba Games into a Pocketnes menu

Post by tepples »

Cartridge opened at 6:05. My first guess is that under the epoxy blob, there's some mapper circuit to choose one of four GBA ROMs, with the first being the menu.
kelvin donna

Post by kelvin donna »

tepples wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:03 pm Cartridge opened at 6:05. My first guess is that under the epoxy blob, there's some mapper circuit to choose one of four GBA ROMs, with the first being the menu.
that may be one thing, but here i also have one gba nes multicart rom with a gba homebrew injected:
(MOD edit: Do not link to copyright-infringing content!)
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

That version of PocketNES could boot in Multiboot mode, so it ran from EWRAM. Then if necessary, you could boot one game that was linked to run at the base ROM address. No mapper necessary.

You could just hack the first game to make it boot PocketNES instead, then have a special feature in the modified pocketnes to boot to the game again.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
kelvin donna

Post by kelvin donna »

Dwedit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:29 am That version of PocketNES could boot in Multiboot mode, so it ran from EWRAM. Then if necessary, you could boot one game that was linked to run at the base ROM address. No mapper necessary.

You could just hack the first game to make it boot PocketNES instead, then have a special feature in the modified pocketnes to boot to the game again.
good idea, but i'm not really sure, how to do that. :?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

What exactly do you need GBA games on a pocketnes menu for? Unless you're manufacturing your own bootleg cartridge...
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
kelvin donna

Post by kelvin donna »

Dwedit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:02 pm What exactly do you need GBA games on a pocketnes menu for? Unless you're manufacturing your own bootleg cartridge...
to create roms for bootleg cartridges
tepples

Post by tepples »

After GBA Jam 2021 is over, an entrant might want to put out a cartridge with their entry and their previous NESdev Compo entries.