Moero Pro Yakyuu voice

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

B00daW

Re: Moero Pro Yakyuu voice

Post by B00daW »

Are ROMs 1, 2, and 4, the same as the commercial ROMs? If so we can create an NES 2.0 image of this and finally get around to sussing out how to use byte 14 and 15 of NES 2.0 for extra ROM.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

ROM is very similar to Moero!! Pro Yakyuu (Black) (J).nes, but there are a few random bytes different in first of PRG 16kB + bytes from 7fa8-7fea, which are FF in original, here are filled with some routine.
Other PRG and CHR are same.
Lord Nightmare

Post by Lord Nightmare »

Without those extra patched bytes (probably an added routine to write to 5000/5001) plus the call patch to get to that area, I cannot test this in an emulator :(

Do you have an .ips file patch which can be applied to the "Moero!! Pro Yakyuu (Black) (J).nes" version of the rom to turn it into this one, or something similar?

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

Here:
Attachments
Moero Pro Yakyuu bootleg (apply over Moero!! Pro Yakyuu (Black) (J).nes).ips
(104 Bytes) Downloaded 486 times
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

OK. Set it as mapper 86 submapper 1. Bit 1 is set on byte 14 of the NES2 header. The DPCM ROM is attached after the CHR. Interesting to get this UM5100 chip emulated...

Updated the NES 2.0 proposal information as well.
Attachments
Moero!! Pro Yakyuu (Black) (J) (Bootleg).nes
(224.02 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

lidnariq: According to the game code it appears that you're right about the sample frequencies using $5000. (There are no instances of $5001 in code that I can see.)

It goes through a few routines where the normal $7000 functions play out. Almost immediately after the accumulator is OR'd with a value that sets bit 4 or bits 4 and 7; and stores to $5000. (ORA #$10 or ORA $#90) The correlation is that if the sample is a high-pitched sound like "crowd noise" it will set both bits 4 and 7. If it's speech it will just set bit 4. So, if bit 4 is set, it's "standard" speed. If bits 7 and 4 are set, it's double speed. I'm not certain what happens when none of the bits 7 through 4 are set..?
Last edited by B00daW on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Well, the hardware only has two speeds, regardless of whatever else is true.

Be careful; my estimates of 20 and 50 kHz were just back-of-the-envelope calculations.

Also, I misread the reverse-engineered schematic: the inverse of bit 7 is used, so it's "write with 128s bit high → pin is low → oscillator runs slower".
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

I'm not so good at reading schematics just yet. I took a look at them though... I don't see instances of bit 4 for $5000?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

... Yes? That's exactly my point? Only bit 7 (the 128s bit) is used.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Here is $1x and $9x being written to $5000.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

What exactly are you attempting to show me? I believed your initial summary (that it wrote with the $10s bit set).

The physical hardware cares about the 128s bit of the data bus. Or bit 7. Or whether the value is ≥$80 or not. However you want to phrase it.

It doesn't care about anything else. It isn't connected to anything else.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

B00daW wrote:OK. Set it as mapper 86 submapper 1. Bit 1 is set on byte 14 of the NES2 header. The DPCM ROM is attached after the CHR. Interesting to get this UM5100 chip emulated...

Updated the NES 2.0 proposal information as well.
You set the bit in byte 13 instead of byte 14 in that file. The correctly-headered file now plays the samples in Nintendulator-NRS. The header can be corrected by using that emulator's Header Editor and setting"Misc ROMs" to 1.
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

I had a chance to test this bootleg on NRS's latest Nintendulator. I have an original Moero Pro Yakyuu (Red) cartridge and noted that some of the samples are quite different than the bootleg. In my video here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQAy6_ZLE3c, note the sounds made when the batter hits the ball and the crowd noises. They sound noticeably different. Also when the umpire calls "strike out" in the bootleg, there is some nasty stuttering after the word and the sample partially repeats thereafter.

I also note with approval another welcome change in the latest Nintendulator having nothing to do with the mapper support. ;)
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

I got photo of another version of this cartridge. All connections are probably the same, just the PCB is smaller:
Image Image