Thwaite: stuff blowing up

Moderator: Moderators

clueless

Post by clueless »

The MGC is a family event. I've not seen your zapruder demo. I've seen the Zapruder film though.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Zap Ruder is a bunch of Zapper tech demos, one of them being the Pong clone ZapPing. (As opposed to FlapPing.)
AWal wrote:I do have to say, the fluidity of the 'controller' was definitely "Wii Smooth."
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Tepples sometimes chooses controversial names for his games. The previous name of concentration room was concentration camp.
tepples

Re: Thwaite: stuff blowing up

Post by tepples »

hubs of #nesdev wanted the NSF, so here's the NSF for Concentration Room, Thwaite, Zap Ruder, and a couple other projects.

Track listing:
01 cover of SMB3 underground
02 [Zap Ruder] Goal
03 cover of Mozart's "Leck mich im Arsch"
04 cover of AM FM GM's "Tetris New Melody"
05 [Concentration Room] Story
06 [Concentration Room] Table Clear
07 [Thwaite] 4 PM
08 [Thwaite] 2 AM, cover of Beethoven's "Sonata 8 Pathetique: 2. Adagio cantabile"
09 [Thwaite] 3 AM
10 [Thwaite] 4 AM
11 [Thwaite] 5 AM, variations on Beethoven's "Sonata 8 Pathetique: 3. Rondo: Allegro"
12 [Thwaite] Wave Clear
13 [Zap Ruder] Axe
14 cover of Marilyn Manson's "I Don't Like the Drugs" and Puff Daddy's "It's All About the Benjamins"
15 Test case for attack track and arpeggio
Attachments
Thwaite&co.nsf.zip
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 1055 times
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

When did TOD get ported to the NES?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

The cover of IDLTD was a test case for the music player's arpeggio feature. It was divorced from TOD proper in June. In any case, there's nowhere near enough CPU, and the PPU is too inflexible, to do software mode 7 style texture mapping on an NES.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Someone thinks this game is fan-TAS-tic.

Video: Thwaite - S5E31 - Full Playthrough Doubleplay on GameAnyone.com
tepples

Re:

Post by tepples »

Tomorrow is US Independence Day. Instead of blowing up real fireworks, be safe and blow up some virtual ones with Thwaite.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Five years after the initial release through the compo, I can give hints toward the origin of the name "Thwaite". Before I decided to make it an Animal Crossing parody, the theming was more in the vein of Ganja Farmer or Crop Command. Milo and Staisy were almost Mary and Dickon defending their "secret garden" from herbicide bombs.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Git a load of this: pinobatch/thwaite-nes
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Cool.

I've always wondered. What exactly does the word "Thwaite" mean. The closest I can figure is that it's the name of the village being blown up. Urban Dictionary has some ...um...other ideas as usual.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
tepples

Post by tepples »

The name is not the name of the village but an artifact from a previous iteration of the game's setting, as I hinted in my post from June.

Idthesda is even worse about this. The origin of the title of Quake is similarly obscure. And the title of Arena, the first Elder Scrolls game, is a reference to a gladiator tournament sidequest that never ended up developed at all for that game.

There's more street fighting in Final Fight than in any Street Fighter game or especially Street Fighter 2010. There's no Zelda in Link's Awakening. Nor are there Metroids in Metroid Prime Hunters.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Today I learned that Iron Dome Legacy for Android exists. Its developer describes it on GameDev.net and r/playmygame as a Missile Command clone. But its theming resembles Thwaite in that the targets to defend are shown as buildings roughly as large as a single-family house.
tepples

Post by tepples »

In this universe, Thwaite 2 AM is based on "Adagio cantabile" from Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 8 (called Grande sonate pathétique by his publisher). The same inspired the themes from the films Bustin' Loose and An American Tail.

But in the SiIvaGunner universe, it's based on a different piece: Erik Satie's Gymnopédie No. 1.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Who would be willing to stream this game on July 4?