tepples

Re: Streemerz bundle

Post by tepples »

I have released another preview build. These are the notable changes:
  • Added I Wanna Flip the Sky.
  • Moved Russian Roulette to Toys.
  • Fixed memory clearing bug in Thwaite.
  • Driar updated to latest NROM version.
  • Different method for reserving space for Streemerz allows all NROM games to be inserted as normal games.
  • Fixed some minor behind-the-scenes bugs in the builder.
I'd like this to be gone over with a fine-tooth comb to make sure all games that should be able to be completed can be completed.
  • Tell me anything you find confusing about the launcher.
  • Tell me anything incorrect or unclear in the games' descriptions.
  • Try to make any of the games fail.
  • Find the two games with "all your base" references.
Current bank map:
0-3. Streemerz
4. Blank | Pogo Cats
5. Slappin' | FHBG
6. LAN Master & Munchie Attack
7. Thwaite | Lawn Mower
8. Concentration Room & Russian Roulette | NES15
9. Driar
10. I Wanna Flip the Sky
11. MineShaft | ZapPing & Axe & Zapper Calibration
12. NES Virus Cleaner
13. Zooming Secretary
14. Blank
15. Menu

One bank is still completely empty, and the Pogo Cats bank is half empty. I wonder what sort of credits, Easter eggs, or $#!+ like that we can fill it with.
Attachments
Streemerz_bundle_beta_2.nes.zip
(238.71 KiB) Downloaded 491 times
thefox

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:One bank is still completely empty, and the Pogo Cats bank is half empty. I wonder what sort of credits, Easter eggs, or $#!+ like that we can fill it with.
Some kind of music player would be one option.
Last edited by thefox on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Someone did mention Chris Covell's cart dumper at one point. Might be a good add. My only concern would be implied tech support which I can't really provide...
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
Tom

Post by Tom »

Issues I found in the latest beta (this was all in Nintendulator)

1) There's some extra gray pixels in the upper left corner on I Wanna Flip The Sky's title screens
2) The instructions for I Wanna Flip The Sky leave out the select button (not really a big deal though)
3) I get some graphical bugs in NES15. Generally attribute problems in the last space for puzzle pieces, but I saw some bad pixels in the puzzle tiles once
4) If I open the non-multicart version of NES15, and then multicart, the menu controls kinda freak out. I think this is a bug in Nintendulator though, because switching to another application and back fixes it.
-Tom
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

The game is doing something dumb, it's clearing RAM to 00, then uploading that to OAM every frame. So every sprite is tile number #0, color #0, and at position 0,0 (actually 0,1).
Page 0200 would need to be initialized to FF to get rid of that.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Well I apparently remembered to clear sprites for the credits screen, but forgot to do it for the title screens. Here's a fixed version.
Attachments
IWannaFlipTheSky.nes.zip
(11.15 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
-Tom
tepples

Post by tepples »

Thanks Tom.

I was able to reproduce graphical corruption in NES15 on my PowerPak but not in FCEUX svn2749. I do some NMI handler trickery to fit NES15 and Concentration Room into one 32K bank, and I wonder whether the extra 10 cycles or so is causing NES15 to overflow vblank. I've noticed that the scroll is set sometime around line -1. Does the glitch happen when you set Nintendulator to PAL mode?
thefox

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:Would it be too difficult to add another option to the main menu to "QUIT", which would copy code to RAM that resets the outer bank and jumps to the reset vector?
Not too hard, I'll consider it.

EDIT: OK, I added this. Just let me know what code to execute to reset to the multicart menu.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

thefox wrote:Just let me know what code to execute to reset to the multicart menu.
If a game is running in UNROM or 32K NROM mode, all it has to do is change the outer bank to the last bank. This can be done with the following code copied to RAM:

Code: Select all

ldx #$81  ; Set outer bank
  stx $5000
  ldx #$FF  ; to the last bank in the cart
  stx $8000
  jmp ($FFFC)
As for the NES15 problem, I'll try disabling rendering during vblank and seeing what that breaks.
thefox

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:One bank is still completely empty, and the Pogo Cats bank is half empty. I wonder what sort of credits, Easter eggs, or $#!+ like that we can fill it with.
Oh, BTW, one obvious candidate: blargg's bootloader
tepples

Post by tepples »

I include what I can test. If someone can make me a cable to use blargg's bootloader with a PC running Linux (x86) or Windows 7 (x86-64), then I'll include the bootloader as a Toy.

Good news: Disabling rendering during vblank fixed NES15.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

tepples wrote:I include what I can test. If someone can make me a cable to use blargg's bootloader with a PC running Linux (x86) or Windows 7 (x86-64), then I'll include the bootloader as a Toy..
The cable sounds simple enough, I could probably make you one. Not sure how much I could test it before sending it to you though... Is there PC/host code available somewhere for testing?

What would be the suggested/desired use/need for something like this? I'm guessing a simple dev cart of sorts? In that case it's kinda limited with only 2KB of RAM available for a program. I suppose that could be fixed by including 32KB of WRAM on the cart. But presumably it'd then be desirable to have that RAM mapped to $8000-FFFF. This side goal/feature has the potential to open up a can of worms if it goes in the direction I'm thinking of a 32KB/32KB PRG/CHR devcart. Might be okay though, just not sure if I'm missing the point or not.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
tepples

Post by tepples »

Yeah, I'll probably save the bootloader thing for a future project.
thefox

Post by thefox »

infiniteneslives wrote:What would be the suggested/desired use/need for something like this? I'm guessing a simple dev cart of sorts? In that case it's kinda limited with only 2KB of RAM available for a program. I suppose that could be fixed by including 32KB of WRAM on the cart. But presumably it'd then be desirable to have that RAM mapped to $8000-FFFF. This side goal/feature has the potential to open up a can of worms if it goes in the direction I'm thinking of a 32KB/32KB PRG/CHR devcart. Might be okay though, just not sure if I'm missing the point or not.
It's not worth it putting 32KB WRAM on the cart just for this, but even with just 2KB available (+CHR-RAM) it would be a nice toy.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Throw in tapedump somewhere? I'd like to try that out at some point. Still want to dump my copy of Battle Kid.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!