Page 4 of 4
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:54 am
I'm working on recreating the scene in Blender so I can move the viewpoint down closer to eye level and have more to move and spin the elements.
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:22 pm
Interesting. That should help you find a good point of view for this scene.
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:43 am
While I work on figuring out how to model the limbs of a cartoon bipedal canine, you can try what I did get done. Download from the same place
Day 299 (2014-06-06)
- Shows a lock over tiles that only the opponent can pass
- Sell item in Stock (B+A)
- New title screen
- Can pick up the rug you're standing on
- B: Drop item as leaf (unfinished)
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:51 pm
Day 309 (2014-06-16)
- Shows each round's winner
- Counts won rounds
- Shows item each unit carries
- B: Pick up dropped item
- After combat, dropped items belong to player on same side of the road
- Made attack and stun frames
- A while holding bat: Swing
- Draws HP meter above stunned unit
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:52 pm
So I got done playing around in Blender. Is this title screen even worse?
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:25 pm
It's better, IMO.
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:06 am
Anyway, RHDE was the hit of NovaSquirrel's high school graduation party. He brought a half dozen of his classmates to his house, and they ended up ignoring furniture arrangement and theft to fill up on the destructive power of missile silos. They didn't want breaking and entering, just more breaking. They didn't care that when it was my turn, I was winning rounds left and right just by having a single complete set (fridge, oven, trashcan). It reminds me of how people ignored the actual objectives of Infiniminer and Minecraft to focus on building things.
And they found two bugs that I'll try to reproduce if I can.
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:03 pm
Games that implement a set of rules but allow players to achieve the goals the way they want are always more fun. I feel like a lot of recent games are designed like interactive movies that must be played exactly like the developers imagined, with little room for improvisation. Back in the old days it was more common to be thrown in a world with well defined rules and goals you were free to play with.
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:50 pm
That's a good argument for an option to leave the endless mode the way it is when I add a round limit.
Anyway, I was able to reproduce one of the bugs (failure to remove some garden plants that have become surrounded by walls), and I fixed it in my tree. The other (corruption of the Stock screen's state producing a pile of 255s) I have no idea about, as I only saw it happen once on hardware and wasn't running any sort of video recording, but I've added some bounds checks to make it less visible in case it is what I think it might be.
Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:19 pm
Another update from the same place
. Now the bat actually does something.
Day 317 (2014-06-23)
- Less MS Painty title screen saves 2K of ROM
- Door or fence tile hit 3 times with bat breaks
- Unit hit with bat gets stunned for 2 s and drops carried furni
- B+A skips stunned units
- Unit hit 3 times faints and drops weapon
- Missiles destroy flowers
- Bounds-checks item IDs when drawing Shop and Stock
- Fixed automatic pickup of side-by-side flowers
- Fixed OBO allowing player 2 to cross player 1's door
- Title screen in manual
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:17 pm
I keep polishing this t█rd...
Day 327 (2014-07-03)
- Added menu to title screen
- Removed change log from in-game instructions
- Skips furnish phase if neither side has beds
- Item picked up and not placed appears in Stock without having to go to Shop and back
- Left- or right-justifies furnish winner notice
- Grass is greener on winner's side
- Fixed bat's hitbox being too small on the east and south sides
- Goes to title screen after 5 or 10 wins if not endless
Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:12 am
It's getting very close to "done", at least in 256 kbit form.
Day 342 (2014-07-19)
- Easier for units to pick up bat or rug near wall
- Code size micro-optimizations begin
- "DRAW!" is centered
- Press Start to pause any timed round
So what features would you like to see in the 512 kbit branch? My testers came up with these suggestions:
- Single-player scripted tutorial
- Add handheld rocket launcher weapon
- Placing garbage bags on the opponent's side to interfere with other player's Build
- More graphics in the help screen
- More families than just 3, one with female units
- Pick each side's color
- Fix certain exploitable tendencies in the house rating algorithm
Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:11 pm
And now I'm coming closer to what my original MS Paint Job was supposed to represent.
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:04 pm
NovaSquirrel and I played a round and recorded it on my DVD recorder.
Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:49 pm
This incorporates changes for Double Action 53, as well as JRoatch's Donut image codec.
- Raise cap to to 8 rockets per side
- Replace build phase music
- Switch from PB53 to JRoatch's Donut codec
- Rename audio subroutines and variables to match those of Pently 5
- Switch to normal version numbering