2016 Compo Entry Progress Thread - Run 'n' Gun

Moderator: Moderators

gauauu

Re: 2016 Compo Entry Progress Thread - Run 'n' Gun

Post by gauauu »

darryl.revok wrote: I feel that Contra has a very arcade-centric difficulty curve. .....
If there are any Contra fans out there I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the game and/or genre.
I dunno, I thought other than the overly-easy pseudo-3d levels, the difficulty curve was reasonable. The hangar and the energy zone were significantly more difficult than the jungle and waterfall. The ice field was good middle ground.

Really, I think part of the reason the game felt easy is that we played through it a million times with the 30-lives code, until we knew the game backward and forward. That made it really easy when switching to non-cheating, as we already had figured out the best ways to handle each challenge.

(and really, most action games at the time could be mastered in a day or two)
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

gauauu wrote:we played through it a million times with the 30-lives code
We? :lol:
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Espozo wrote:
gauauu wrote:we played through it a million times with the 30-lives code
We? :lol:
We meaning "everybody I knew at the time", and subconsciously extrapolated to mean "everyone in the world that liked Contra as a kid." You'd go over to a friend's house, punch in the code (it usually took a few tries), and then beat Contra. If you're not part of that "we" then I'm sorry you missed out. It was a lot of fun.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

gauauu wrote:I'm sorry you missed out. It was a lot of fun.
I didn't miss out, I just beat it with my friend, just without using the 30 life code. I was really just being a smart ass, so... Sorry. :lol: