2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Moderator: Moderators

calima

Re: 2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Post by calima »

Sending my email just now, I was hoping for an automated reply to know I didn't make a typo in the address or something. Perhaps something to add for next year to soothe right-before-deadline nerves?
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

I feel like this is a dumb question, but do we submit as mapper 28, or as one of the sub-mappers? I have a ROM working with mapper 28, simulating UNROM #2, using prg mode 3. Is that okay?
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

calima wrote:Sending my email just now, I was hoping for an automated reply to know I didn't make a typo in the address or something. Perhaps something to add for next year to soothe right-before-deadline nerves?
I don't do automatic replys, since not all inquiries are for the competition.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

dustmop wrote:I feel like this is a dumb question, but do we submit as mapper 28, or as one of the sub-mappers? I have a ROM working with mapper 28, simulating UNROM #2, using prg mode 3. Is that okay?
It doesn't really matter what you want to call it, as long as it fits into the criteria.
tepples

Post by tepples »

If it's submitted using one of the actual discrete mappers (0, 2, 3, 7, 34, 180), the menu software can set the PRG mode.
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

NESHomebrew wrote:It doesn't really matter what you want to call it, as long as it fits into the criteria.
Ok cool.

I had to mess with $5000 and set the prg mode at startup in order to get it to work in FCEUX. I'm guessing that's ok for my submission, but it might have to be changed later, correct? The rules weren't totally clear about how to use the mapper, and the wiki seems more targeted at implementation than usage.
tepples

Post by tepples »

If changes are needed for multicart menu compatibility, we can work together on those after judging begins.
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

Gotcha, thanks!
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I have a question about judging. Maybe it's perfectly clear but remember that English is not my first language:

"The incentive for submitters to vote will be that they will automatically score their own game for full points."

I untderstand that means that if I judge every other entry, the person processing my scores will include my games with full points, is that right? Or that means that if I am judging, I can perfectly score my entries for full points if I want.

Sorry, maybe it's perfectly clear, but bear with me :)

Thanks.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

na_th_an wrote:I have a question about judging. Maybe it's perfectly clear but remember that English is not my first language:

"The incentive for submitters to vote will be that they will automatically score their own game for full points."

I untderstand that means that if I judge every other entry, the person processing my scores will include my games with full points, is that right? Or that means that if I am judging, I can perfectly score my entries for full points if I want.
I will double check the results, but you would have to give yourself full marks once the judging is ready.

I hope to have everything ready today, so we can get this judged as soon as possible.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

na_th_an wrote:"The incentive for submitters to vote will be that they will automatically score their own game for full points."
I wouldn't worry about that statement too much. I think it was targetted to help motivate entrants to complete the judging so they can boost their own chances of winning. It's simply mentioning that as an entrant, you are welcomed to be a judge (for all entries including your own). Since you are your own judge, you have the benefit of being able to give yourself the highest marks/grade when scoring your entry. That doesn't mean you *HAVE* to give yourself a perfect score. But everyone else may be doing so, its more of a potential for an extra 'bonus point' for your score if you take the time to complete the judging.

It is a little confusing, and giving yourself unearned high marks might lack modesty for some.. Perhaps an equal but less confusing method would be to have entrants not judge their own work, and simply give all their entries a bonus point if they take the time to submit their scores for judging all the other entries.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

It is now perfectly clear, thanks.

I would find it hard to score my own games for full points taking in account the fact that I consider some of the entries superior. That would not be fair. The thing is that maybe other entrants will do it, which wouldn't be fair in turn. So I really don't know what to do.

I would prefer that entrants didn't have to rank their own games, but I'll adhere to the rules.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

You won't have to rate your own games, but the way I set it up (survey style) is that I don't have to create a separate survey for each entrant.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I've been enjoying the games that I've seen threads here about. Are all the submissions in, and just still collating? I've been curious what the final list looks like, and if there are other entries besides the ones on this forum.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

rainwarrior wrote:I've been enjoying the games that I've seen threads here about. Are all the submissions in, and just still collating? I've been curious what the final list looks like, and if there are other entries besides the ones on this forum.
I think there are about 18 entries. I should have the website updated this evening.