2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Moderator: Moderators

calima

Re: 2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Post by calima »

It uses a lot of fine CHR bankswitching, but no IRQs or anything else special. Only 148kb CHR is actually used, and since each face only takes 576 bytes of the 1024 byte slot, the CHR data should compress excellently.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

I just realized we've actually met our goal of 53 games/tools so perhaps it is time to put everything on a single cart.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
tepples

Post by tepples »

I was planning not to count toys in the 53, only games, and to have at least one compo for improving old stuff.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

I also wanted to get Nova the Squirrel on the final cart, hence trying to keep it mapper 28 compatible. Though that would require adding WRAM.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I forgot to mention it in my blurb, or anywhere in the actual games...but I should have listed Shiru in the credits, since I'm using the famitone engine, and the unRLE code that goes along with NES Screen Tool.

If anyone thinks I should edit the games to explicitly mention that, let me know. Thanks.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

dougeff wrote:I forgot to mention it in my blurb, or anywhere in the actual games...but I should have listed Shiru in the credits, since I'm using the famitone engine, and the unRLE code that goes along with NES Screen Tool.

If anyone thinks I should edit the games to explicitly mention that, let me know. Thanks.
I can add it to the blurb if you'd like.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Sure. I think that would be appropriate.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

NESHomebrew wrote:
dougeff wrote:I forgot to mention it in my blurb, or anywhere in the actual games...but I should have listed Shiru in the credits, since I'm using the famitone engine, and the unRLE code that goes along with NES Screen Tool.

If you could credit Shiru for famitone in mine as well, I'd appreciate it.
Punch

Post by Punch »

mikejmoffitt wrote:
NESHomebrew wrote:

If you could credit Shiru for famitone in mine as well, I'd appreciate it.
Same here! I wrote the blurb in a hurry so I forgot.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
calima

Post by calima »

Is the award ceremony today?
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

calima wrote:Is the award ceremony today?
I think the judging closes at 11:45PM GMT if I remember correctly.

Then I will have to collect all the responses and calculate the winners. It should be posted by Monday at the latest, then we will be in contact with the entrants and update forum posts/twitter/etc.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Finally wrapped up my review and got to spend a decent amount of time with all the games. I'm crazy impressed on the all the awesome entries we had. I thought it would take a couple more compos before we'd get to this level. Based on the entries I guess we must be getting close to the right recipe to attracting competitors and exceptional entries. This year's cart is going to be a hit! So many games calling my name to come back and spend more time with.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Results are in, check the 2016 nesdevcompo page for details! Congrats to everyone, and thank-you for making this competition an exceptional one. Winners, please expect an email within the next few days from either Paul or myself.

-Brad
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Congratulations. It's been a great compo and we have got a small bunch of great games.

Personally I'm very thankful that I've been able to improve and learn new concepts thanks to other peoples comments and analyses.

It's been a great experience and I'm looking forward next year's compo!

Now it's time to improve our games for the Multicart.
RogerBidon

Post by RogerBidon »

Congratulations to all of the entrants of the games and a big thank you to organizers for ... organization!

Would it be possible to have the score of games by category? It can be useful to know what is most in need of improvement.