Progress Thread - Nebs & Debs Prequel

Moderator: Moderators

dullahan

Re: Progress Thread - Nebs & Debs Prequel

Post by dullahan »

calima wrote:I liked the game, but I hit the things others have also mentioned - the hero dying in midair with enemies nowhere in sight, walking into bricks, and slight jitter when moving.

You asked for more info about that, it happened on the point in the attached picture, in the first level. I jumped up and dashed to the platform, then boom, dead. Using the compo build.
Thanks calima. I think I have this issue fixed in the newest release.
cppchriscpp wrote:Had a lot of fun with this - I beat it on actual hardware! (Save states? Who needs em?) I didn't run into any of the glitches other folks have mentioned, thankfully. It did feel a little short, but I guess the prequel, and Demo on the title screen shoulda clued me in to that.

Great entry.
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for playing.
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

Updated original post with a new build which should fix issues with level 2 and 3. As some of you guessed there was too much work being done during VBLANK. I unrolled the loop that copies over the tile buffer and that saves me ~500-600 cycles.
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

Thanks to everyone for playing. Excited about Nebs n' Debs performance in the 2016 competition. Look for more updates in this thread.
Myask

Post by Myask »

Great music.

Hit some weirdness using the competition version: on the segment where you have to dash under to get a Dcoin (Mines-1), often the dash would only last four tiles and I'd plummet to my doom, going in or out. Oddly doesn't replicate on Mednafen. (Was initially on PowerPak.)

Consider resetting any falling (but not rising) on dash to make things easier. I don't see the trick of making certain two-dash jumps.

There was an invisible enemy somewhere aside from where they showed it…lessee…no, I'm getting warp-into-void glitches and dying too much to find it again on Mednafen.

Consider letting Start skip the game over theme.
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

Myask wrote:Great music.

Hit some weirdness using the competition version: on the segment where you have to dash under to get a Dcoin (Mines-1), often the dash would only last four tiles and I'd plummet to my doom, going in or out. Oddly doesn't replicate on Mednafen. (Was initially on PowerPak.)

Consider resetting any falling (but not rising) on dash to make things easier. I don't see the trick of making certain two-dash jumps.

There was an invisible enemy somewhere aside from where they showed it…lessee…no, I'm getting warp-into-void glitches and dying too much to find it again on Mednafen.

Consider letting Start skip the game over theme.
Thanks for the feedback Myask. Many of the dash/warp glitches you mention should be fixed in the most recent build posted at the beginning of this thread and on the Action 53 release. Thanks for playing!