Discussion - Sinking Feeling

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Discussion - Sinking Feeling

Post by rainwarrior »

This one was a pleasant surprise, since it never had a thread here. Sinking Feeling by Calima.

Not too complicated. Nice looking. Fun little cutscenes. Good music. Humorous "achievements". A concept very different than the others. I think this is real cool!
SinkingFeeling-1.png
SinkingFeeling-1.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 24607 times
blurb.txt wrote:Bonus points for getting the premise.
I must admit, I don't think I get it. Ha ha. :<
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Discussion - Sinking Feeling

Post by FrankenGraphics »

The premise had me laughing while playing :lol: It only gets better by the fact that certain newspapers still won't stop writing about it, pretending the whole thing was/is somehow not embarrasing.

And to top it, the coastal guard recently lost track of a drone submarine in the baltic sea. I kind of wish it'll eventually wash ashore in Russia. It'd be a great tourist attraction.

Edit: i don't want to spoil the bonus point hunt, but a summary can be read here.
calima

Post by calima »

Thanks folks, I was nervous how it'd be received.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

This will sound like a half-compliment, but I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. That was true for most of the games in the compo. Definitely true about Wo Xiang Niao Niao...I thought I would hate it, and ended up having lots of fun.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

I really enjoyed this game. It's a nice, simple to grasp one-screen game with pretty solid mechanics. The difficulty ramped up pretty nicely for the most part, too.

I did have two minor nitpicks - first, shots from subs at the very top of the ocean were darn near impossible to dodge - there's almost no time between when they shoot and when they hit. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but I couldn't dodge them to save my life. Second, there were two levels with way too many enemies on them towards the end - one with standard gray subs and one with the red mine subs -- those felt insanely hard compared to the rest of the game. I had to use save states to get past the red one. Like I said though, other than those I felt the difficulty increased at a good pace.

Thanks for a fun entry!
hackfresh

Post by hackfresh »

Fun game
tepples

Post by tepples »

Today I learned that Sinking Feeling is a CNROM with two CHR ROM banks, but $0A00-$0FFF and $1200-$1FFF of bank 0 are empty, as is $1000-$1FFF of bank 1. This means moving the sprite tiles from $1000-$11FF to $0E00-$0FFF and then moving the used half to $1000-$1FFF of bank 0 would convert it to NROM.

calima: Could you do this for me? It'd simplify the multicart construction.
calima

Post by calima »

I won't have the time for that at least for a few weeks, I'm afraid. Is it about the 8kb space, or is there some other issue with CNROM games? When do you need it?

edit: I ask also because my other game would also have been CNROM, and it was mentioned as supported in the rules.
edit 2: There was going to be a larger and nicer title, but my health prevented getting that one up. That would have taken the unused BG tiles.
tepples

Post by tepples »

It's about extending the cartridge board, emulators, and menu software to support CNROM games. If a game severely underuses CNROM, it can be easier to just hack it. But if there's more than one game that makes full use of it, that's a different story.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

One of my entries was going to use CNROM, but I decided to put it on hold. As I may keep working on it and maybe make an entry of it next year, what would you prefer? I mean, I can port it to UNROM if it's prefered, And I think so because the multicart is CHR-RAM based.

I'm asking 'cause, while CNROM is listed as supported, I guess it's easier to just adapt a mapper which is already CHR-RAM based such as UNROM.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Currently, UNROM is easier. The existing CNROM support in the builder is there for things like Donkey Kong Classics, which have two games that have the same PRG ROM and different CHR ROM banks. Several NROM-128 entries to the first compo were combined in this way. But if there were a compelling entry that made full use of CNROM, such as using different banks for the status bar and playfield, I'd spend time refactoring the builder and changing the menu to run the CHR RAM loading routine multiple times.
calima

Post by calima »

Hm, I guess "different banks for different modes/levels" is not full use?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Solar Wars has different banks for different modes. It was straightforward to convert to UNROM with a slight pause when switching CHR banks, once two other bugs in the game itself were fixed.
calima

Post by calima »

Oh, nice that there's a ready script. How long is the pause?
tepples

Post by tepples »

The script as such is specific to Solar Wars but can be adapted to other CNROM games. The pause is enough time to blank the screen and decompress 8192 bytes to CHR RAM. This is about the same duration as starting an NROM game from the main menu, or about a quarter of a second.