Action 53 volume 3

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: Action 53 volume 3

Post by tepples »

This might be the last build before the freeze at the end of March.
  • Integrated JRoatch's coredump tool
  • Exit patches do not set stack pointer, so that coredump (A+B+Reset) can see the stack pointer
  • Added rainwarrior's port of "Crowd" to 240p Test Suite
  • Put JRoatch's toys in the same bank as 240p Test Suite
  • Updated Rock to version 9 (with corresponding screenshot)
  • Updated Waddles to 1.1
M_Tee wrote:What is the likelihood of other games/toys being added? If so, are there any particular contenders?
We still have a quarter megabyte of ROM free for things submitted in the next few days. But I haven't seen anyone submitting more things, and I doubt that I have enough Twitter followers to get a decent response from this notice. In #nesdev on EFnet, alphamule recommended including blargg's serial boot, but I don't have a cable to test that.

I still wonder what's the best way to hide Forty-Two Melody in the menu and make it the Easter egg it's supposed to be.
Attachments
a53vol3-page5.7z
(296.65 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Thank you for all the work done. I'm sorry that I didn't test this out weeks before, but I'll try my best to test these on a console with PowerPak. I can't guarantee anything though considering that my day job suddenly had me do overtime while ill this last weekend.

I immediately found bugs with my toys, where they do not wait for the button to depress before doing hold button actions. For example entering Button Logger with start keeps the screen blank, pressing a at that point makes it feel like it locked up. Likewise Musical Controller immediately plays a note.
tepples wrote:I still wonder what's the best way to hide Forty-Two Melody in the menu and make it the Easter egg it's supposed to be.
I'll hide it (as best as Free Software can hide anything) in Button Logger, while I fix the bug mention above.

I really wish I can fix up the sound of Musical Controller, I only have at most 3 hours per day this week and I don't know how to ask for help on this.

Edit:
with Karate Kick, sometimes I start with an orange background, and if I press Start before the screen has time to load it's title screen no baddies come.

Edit 2:
Nebs & Debs has the vblank overflow and random deaths talked about in it's thread. I'm guessing this build has a stale version, the current ROM is on the first post titled nebs-n-debs-2-15-2017.nes

I'll edit in this post as I find more bugs.
Last edited by JRoatch on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Easter Egg - you could do a 'no button presses' for a certain amount of time... Like, if you let the screen set idle for 30 seconds in the menu, it will start playing. ?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

dougeff wrote:Easter Egg - you could do a 'no button presses' for a certain amount of time... Like, if you let the screen set idle for 30 seconds in the menu, it will start playing. ?
To easy to activate accidentally for a thing that eats 100% CPU for 8 seconds. Maybe if it's a button combo after waiting?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Is there any button not being used on title ? Select ?

Select + Start ?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Attached is what I think are improved thumbnails for my two things.

I also posted some bug fixes in its thread, and hidden a way to activate that easter egg in that update.

For Button Logger, Is there a way to concisely explain what the B button does?
It makes the logger pause at the top of the plot, but not just an ordinary pause like from the A button, a kind of pause where some input from pad 2 will unpause it. Pressing A and B together will pause for pad 2 input right where it is at instead of waiting to get to the top.
Attachments
toy-thumbs.png
toy-thumbs.png (772 Bytes) Viewed 12641 times
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

JRoatch wrote: Edit:
with Karate Kick, sometimes I start with an orange background, and if I press Start before the screen has time to load it's title screen no baddies come.

Edit 2:
Nebs & Debs has the vblank overflow and random deaths talked about in it's thread. I'm guessing this build has a stale version, the current ROM is on the first post titled nebs-n-debs-2-15-2017.nes

I'll edit in this post as I find more bugs.
Thanks JRoatch. Yes, please include the newest Nebs Debs build from the thread referenced above :)
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Shit, I only just realized that 2/3 of the music in Karate Kick aren't playing. What gives? I'll try to figure this out by tonight.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

@JRoatch: Those are nice looking thumbnails

Vol. 1 seems to be listed in various places with various arrangements of Streemerz (bundle): Action 53 Function 16 volume one. The second is'double action 53 vol. 2"...

Is there an extended title for v. 3 planned?
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I almost forgot. If there's free space you can include this little game.

Zombie Calavera (Prologue)

You can play using Santos or Maria. Gameplay is different, but the objective is the same (collect all the glowing crosses).

- Play as Santos: A jumps, B shoots.
- Play as Maria: A jumps, DOWN glide mid-air.

There are bats which will pursue you relentlessly unless you hide. To hide just move behind bushes or trees and stuff. Bats will retreat and that will give you time.

Monsters you kill will transform into bats, so don't kill the monsters unless it's necessary. Bats cannot be killed.
Attachments
zcp-standalone.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Quickly threw together an improved Karate Kick build.
Attachments
kkick.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
tepples

Post by tepples »

Thanks both of you. I expect beta to start tomorrow, so get ready to test.

Then the list becomes as follows:
  1. Screenshot for Zombie Calavera (Prologue)
  2. Figure out sections other than the current "Mojon" and "Not Mojon"
  3. Title screen
  4. Box art (front, back, sides, label)
  5. Manual
  6. If there aren't going to be enough games to fill the last quarter (256 KiB) of the ROM, figure out what to stick there: original music or whatever else
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

I posted (what will almost definitely be) the final Filthy Kitchen build into its progress thread.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14936&p=192322#p192322
nin-kuuku

Post by nin-kuuku »

Jupiter Scope 2 update:
- Dendy mode
- PAL/Dendy emphasis fix
- RGB mode (press Select in title screen)
- Non-Scroll mode (press A in title screen)
- Easy is slower
- Score deals with survival and accuracy
- Some other stuff I cant remember
Attachments
jupiter2.nes
(24.02 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

ONE more change. The sound speeds up now like in the original iOS game.
Attachments
kkick.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 413 times