Progress Thread - The Legend of Quackin' Jacks' Gold

Moderator: Moderators

team_disposable

Progress Thread - The Legend of Quackin' Jacks' Gold

Post by team_disposable »

I've been working on a big project and so unfortunately haven't had time to progress on my intended compo entry, Psychic Death House, and as I really like the idea and don't want to make a hash of it I've reluctantly shelved it for now.

I'm super keen on getting something in for the compo though, so I'm revising my ludum dare entry, You are Insignificant, in to a second fuller and, hopefully, better game - The Legend of Quacking Jacks Gold.

This will involve completely redoing the physics (as they were a bit rubbish) and making it in to a larger action packed platform-jumping gold-stealing duck-dodging adventure.

As with any project, I've decided to work on the most important aspect first, something completely crucial without which the game would be hobbled. Today, I have been working on.. the title screen.

What do you think?
Attachments
title_screenv3.png
title_screenv3.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 23739 times
calima

Re: Progress Thread - The Legend of Quackin' Jacks' Gold

Post by calima »

Excellent, but the font for Team Disposable is terrible.
tepples

Post by tepples »

It looks better if I rescale the title screen using fractional bilinear interpolation: nearest neighbor at an integer ratio no greater than the final size followed by linear interpolation to the final size
loqjg-title-rescaled.png
loqjg-title-rescaled.png (10.72 KiB) Viewed 23691 times
But looking at how close the copyright notice is to the edge, I see another problem: NTSC TVs might cut it off. Nintendo's rule was to keep important text out of the top and bottom 24 pixels and the left and right 16 pixels. I follow a looser rule inspired by both my own measurements of SDTVs and the scaled mode of the PocketNES emulator: keep text out of the top 16, bottom 12, and side 8. The red tinted areas are thus the most likely to be cut off.
loqjg-title-safearea.png
loqjg-title-safearea.png (11.39 KiB) Viewed 23691 times
team_disposable

Ah, thanks for the feedback! I will move the copyright notice, and change its font to something less heinous.

Progress! I've managed to get my ludum dare engine ported over to an unrom with chr-ram, and the basics of a new level loading structure in place using Sumez's excellent level editing tool, however I am having trouble updating chr-ram tiles when in play.

I was hoping to flash over a lava tile with two alternating tiles, for instance, but I think the problem is that I don't have enough time in vblank to do so.

Has anyone managed this successfully (updating a tile in chr-ram with the screen on)? I'm not using any tile compression, and the loading to the PPU starts right after the flag is given for vblank
tepples

Post by tepples »

team_disposable wrote:I am having trouble updating chr-ram tiles when in play.

I was hoping to flash over a lava tile with two alternating tiles, for instance, but I think the problem is that I don't have enough time in vblank to do so.
You realistically have time to upload 128-160 bytes during vblank between one frame and the next using a moderately unrolled loop. This is equivalent to eight to ten tiles. Haunted: Halloween '85 and its sequel The Curse of Possum Hollow sling tiles all over the place, dynamically loading both background and sprite tiles needed for the next part of the level. The background tiles and maps in both games and the sprite tiles in the second game are compressed.

I took the liberty of rearranging your title screen to fit all important parts in the center 224x192 pixels, following the title safe area guideline implicit in Nintendo's background planning sheets.
Attachments
loqjg-title-rearranged.png
loqjg-title-rearranged.png (3.41 KiB) Viewed 23664 times
team_disposable

Wow, thanks Tepples, that's awesome! Thanks for taking the time to show me the edge limits, I've still got some experimenting to do, but this has definitely set me on the right track!

Re: CHR-RAM, clearly I am doing something incorrect then - I will experiment some more.
team_disposable

CHR-ram is now working properly and the engine can now do everything as an UNROM it could do as an NROM.
new_engine.gif
new_engine.gif (289.27 KiB) Viewed 23649 times
Next up: Better Physics!
team_disposable

I've got the bulk of the physics working -

Bit shifting has given me some nice floaty jumping, and a while loop makes sure collision detection is happening at the appropriate juncture.

Also:
trampled by pig.png
trampled by pig.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 23603 times
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Cool! Is that for story cards?

You could perhaps use the 'hair' colour to give hands and forearms some shadowing and/or detail.
team_disposable

That's a good idea! My artistic skills aren't up to much, however I did try something similar on the duck which I'm quite pleased with
duck.png
duck.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 23597 times
team_disposable

I've changed the pose to make it a little more dynamic and added shading as you suggested - I think it looks quite a bit better, thanks!
shocked_player.png
shocked_player.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 23583 times
Physics also now completely working, with moving platform collisions.
team_disposable

Horizontal platforms are now also working - cant quite get rid of this "pop" effect where the player pops through a platform if they jump on to it from below...

All moving platforms are a single speed in this gif, but they can be configured individually. They are all currently moving to the same width/height, however I have a plan to fix that.
GXaGO0.gif
GXaGO0.gif (587.74 KiB) Viewed 23571 times
Next: bugfixing, gold, coins, and level building!
Punch

Post by Punch »

team_disposable wrote:Horizontal platforms are now also working - cant quite get rid of this "pop" effect where the player pops through a platform if they jump on to it from below...
How are you managing collisions? You're probably ejecting the player as if it were going downwards, if you're doing it as I did... try skipping the collision if the player has an upwards movement, maybe? If my assumption is right he should "pop" up only when he reaches the peak of his jumping arch, and it might be less jarring to see (but still forgivable if the player missed the platform by a couple of pixels)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
team_disposable

I managed to crack it, thanks - I also redid the physics engine while I was there.

The game now has an overworld connecting the levels together, and pretty much the whole engine (bar two planned boss fights) is built.

Hurrah!
intro-overworld-levels.gif
intro-overworld-levels.gif (1008.08 KiB) Viewed 23487 times
The overland graphics are a work in progress.

My current bug - Famitone will only play one sound effect. Anyone have any ideas why?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Famitone will only play one sound effect. Anyone have any ideas why?
Explain more.

You can only play one at a time (simultaneously)... or all calls to play sound fx plays the same sound.

Standard famitone2 ?
Last edited by dougeff on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES