calima

Re: A53v3 Contributor Write-Ups

Post by calima »

Nesdev members feel sorry for Doug. Doug should totally get a better job :P
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Here's a real write up...

Doug Fraker has contributed 2 entries this year: Flappy Jack and Rock Paper Scissors. Besides programming, Doug writes music, and he's in a classic rock cover band. He recently celebrated the completion of Vigilante Ninja 2, and is currently working on other NES titles.

nesdoug.com, blog and NES tutorial
@nesdoug2 on Twitter

I've hidden my email on the 'contact' page of my webpage, where I'm sure nobody will find it. You don't need to include my email anywhere. I'm a hermit, and contact with other humans frightens me.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Myask

Post by Myask »

dougeff wrote:Here's a real write up...

Doug Fraker has contributed 2 entries this year: Flappy Jack and Rock Paper Scissors. Besides programming, Doug writes music, and he's in a classic rock cover band. He recently celebrated the completion of Vigilante Ninja 2, and is currently working on other NES titles.

nesdoug.com, blog and NES tutorial
@nesdoug2 on Twitter

I've hidden my email on the 'contact' page of my webpage, where I'm sure nobody will find it. You don't need to include my email anywhere. I'm a hermit, and contact with other humans frightens me.
Before a misunderstanding happens, is that last paragraph supposed to be included on the poster?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

No.
Punch

Post by Punch »

Aleff Correa is someone who never managed to evolve his projects past the "I made my name appear on the screen" phase. After countless failed attempts he decided he was going to finish a game for once, and the result was Brick Breaker, included on this compilation.

Use my ninja avatar as a logo.

I like the idea even though I hate to write about myself... this reminds me of Enix competition computer games with the author's bio on the back of the box.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Aleff Correa is someone who never managed to evolve his projects past the "I made my name appear on the screen" phase. After countless failed attempts he decided he was going to finish a game for once, and the result was Brick Breaker, included on this compilation.
Are you feeling ok, buddy?
Punch

Post by Punch »

dougeff wrote:
Are you feeling ok, buddy?
What makes you think I may not be? Be more direct so I can do changes in the text, there's really nothing I can write about myself, at least related to game development.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

What makes you think I may not be?
From a list of 'signs a person might be depressed'...
-pessimism
-negative thoughts about themselves
Punch

Post by Punch »

dougeff wrote:
What makes you think I may not be?
From a list of 'signs a person might be depressed'...
-pessimism
-negative thoughts about themselves
Maybe it's the way I wrote it but I don't see the "pessimism". I'll try to write more straightforward text next time to avoid misinterpretation. In fact it's supposed to be the complete opposite, I meant to say that I would never get off the ground with a game until the competition motivated me to finish one, that's all.
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

dustmop is a general hacker and game designer. He takes inspiration from the classics, both old and new, with an appreciation for subtle, layered mechanics. This year is his first entry in the nesdev compo: Filthy Kitchen, which he developed and did the art for. Music done by Luke Silas. You can find more of his work, and contact info, at http://dustmop.io
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I finally had a weekend free up to sit down with these and pound them out:

Each entrant: please confirm your own (anyone else, if you notice other errors, please point them out as well):

• Everyone that needs to be represented is represented.
• All images, contact info, names, etc. are all correctly matched.
• Final version of text is approved.

Also, for anyone willing, please check for typos, grammatical, or style errors. (Myask, you're always more than helpful in those categories, if you have the time.)

Once approved, I'll convert text to outlines so that I can work on final layout (will be breaking up the grid, tilting these and whatnot to keep them in unison with the box design, and to ensure no rows of text land exactly on creases.)

Links:
First Row
Second Row
Third Row
Fourth Row
Fifth Row

(also, these won't be as blurry, nor will the blacks be so strong, when sent for printing)
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

jroatch.xyz is a website link and not a username handle. (additionally I'm not even at Nintendo Age)
tepples

Post by tepples »

If you think the light blue background behind my avatar is distracting, you can cut it out if you want. The avatar is a crop of the top center of this SVG. Then you can put in whatever shadow or outline you feel is appropriate.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Kind of minor nitpick of my entire life - my name is spelled Moffitt with two 'F' and 'T' characters each!
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Updates:
  • • mikejmoffitt's name and nesdev handle spelling changed. (sorry about that)
    • JRoatch's website labeled as such (I made one card first and copied and pasted into it as a template, so that's why it was labeled incorrectly.)
    • Restructured references to remove indefinite article before "NES" (to avoid inner voice conflict when a/an precedes "en ee es" or "ness/nezz"). I didn't want inconsistency within the document, and it's a divisive enough topic that I wouldn't want to make a call on it.
    • Altered A53 write-up so as not to refer to both the games and volumes as "entries" in the same sentence.
    • Fixed formatting and convention errors I made in: glutock, INL, and my own entries.
    • Added glutock's Twitter handle, which I had forgotten to include.
Additional Credits
There's not room for everyone listed from every blurb.txt, but I did try to leave a credit for any musician or artist whose work was used in any of the entries, but I'm not sure if I got all of them. If your game featured music or artwork sourced from someone else or a collaborator not mentioned, please let me know so that I can include it.

Images are now larger for easier reading:
First Row
Second Row
Third Row
Fourth Row
Fifth Row

Oh, and tepples, I think the blue of your image looks fine, especially near the pink of your card.